Reloading press and depriming

• 4K Views
  • Last Post 12 April 2015
Keith posted this 13 December 2014

I am still using the same RCBS junior press that was bought when I was in high school.  I also now use a progressive for loading large numbers of the same loading.  However the junior is still used for loading small batches, rifle rounds, and depriming large numbers of cases prior to cleaning and tumbling.  The junior is more than satisfactory for these jobs but what I have always been frustrated by is the management of the spent primers.  There is just no way to keep these contained.  Is there press similar to the RCBS junior which does not scatter primers?  I do not need an expensive press and would even consider a turret press like the Lee.  Presses like the Forester bench rest and the Redding turret are more than what I need while they do manage the spent primer through a drop tube. SuggestionsKeith DVM

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
onondaga posted this 13 December 2014

http://castbulletassoc.org/view_user.php?id=618>Keith

Here is what will do it for $9.99 :

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/145927/rcbs-rock-chucker-jr-reloader-special-single-stage-press-primer-catcher

Gary

Attached Files

vmwilson posted this 13 December 2014

Put a thin pad of some of that packing material in there and it'll catch most of them.  I use a layer of sawdust in my old Lyman AA Turret press and that works even better for that matter.

Mike

Attached Files

Dale53 posted this 13 December 2014

I have a pair of Dillon 550B's for general use but have a Lee Classic Cast Turret for small batches and single jobs. It sends the primers through a tube directly to a LARGE can I placed under the press. It's the most perfect primer disposable machine on the market.

Lee also has a couple of single stage presses that also dispose of the primers through a tube into a can on the floor under it.

FWIW Dale53

Attached Files

John Alexander posted this 13 December 2014

I too have an old (1958) RCBS Jr. still in service.  The primer catcher suggested above will still let enough escape to  irritate you even with the suggestions above.  Of course you may want to  support an organization that lives off shooters but years ago stopped giving a penny to support shooting organizations and selling a ten cent piece of plastic for ten bucks is good for their bottom line.  Yeah, I think they have a nearsighted policy since being sold to a big conglomerate.

Several Lee presses over the years have provided ways to catch primers.  Loose used primers must have irritated Mr. Lee more than it did other press designers who over the years have mostly ignored the problem.

I have a Lee Classic turret which may be more than you want to spend but it is a great press for a lot of reasons.  I agree with Dale that it has the perfect primer catcher. There is no need for a can under the press that gets kicked out of the way.  Keep the tube plugged with the end that comes with it and it will hold several hundred spent primers and is easy to empty.

John

Attached Files

Keith posted this 13 December 2014

I have the old metal tray on the press which is intended to keep the spent primer.  This may keep 60% in place. I have placed a 3x5 card on the side of the tray which helps but it limits access.

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 13 December 2014

C&H “H” presses all collect in a pill bottle under the station. The original Redding “Standard” press can be made to work the same way. However, both will cost more than a new Lee. Ric

Attached Files

Pentz posted this 14 December 2014

My Jr. dates to around 1961. I grew up on a ranch north of Oroville; my father went to high school with Fred Sr. and Post sheared sheep for us a few times. If I was not chasing primers it would not seem like reloading. Ever have your rubber band snap when the primer tray was pretty full? :X

Attached Files

John Alexander posted this 14 December 2014

Pentz wrote: “Ever have your rubber band snap when the primer tray was pretty full? :X"

I have. John

Attached Files

Keith posted this 14 December 2014

No, but I do understand the consequences.  I have used two rubber bands for a long time.  I hate to give up on mine.  It was bought from my high school English teacher.  How many high school teachers instruct for creative writing and give advice on shooting after class today?  I remember well that he was a significant influence on my first job with a local veterinarian and a lot of water that has passed under my bridge since then.Keith DVM  

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 14 December 2014

I picked up a LEE Challenger press on ebay specifically for depriming cases. I made a little sheet metal shield/deflector that insures the spent primers go into the primer reservoir. It's nothing fancy but after depriming thousands of cases with it I have yet to have a primer hit the floor. I will post a pic of it tomorrow.

If someone else had of done to me what I did to myself . . . I'd have killed him. Humility is an asset. Heh - heh.

Attached Files

mike0841 posted this 14 December 2014

I use the Lee hand press.  Great for watching TV or a movie while depriming.  After 30 cases I pull the shell holder and dump the primers in a container.  It also makes a good range press.     http://www.midwayusa.com/product/665540/lee-breech-lock-hand-press?cm_vc=ProductFinding>http://www.midwayusa.com/product/665540/lee-breech-lock-hand-press?cmvc=ProductFinding

Attached Files

Made this very simple shield for my LEE Challenger press. I bought this press on ebay for cheap for depriming. The shield is nothing fancy and wasn't meant to be. As I stated previously, I have yet to have a primer hit the floor after making this shield.

If someone else had of done to me what I did to myself . . . I'd have killed him. Humility is an asset. Heh - heh.

Attached Files

Another pic.

Attached Files

Pentz posted this 15 December 2014

The issue with the RCBS Jr. is the slot in the ram intended for the primer arm. Primers will fall into the slot down where the flat spring connects, then drop out the bottom. Hmmmm just had a thought about rotating the ram so the slot faces to the rear....thanks guys!

Attached Files

LWesthoff posted this 15 December 2014

My old single station Herter's C press has an arrangement similar to Pentz's RCBS Jr. I have an empty 8 lb. cardboard “canister” that used to hold Bullseye that I hung about 10 in. below the top of the bench, right under the press. I had to cut a slot about a 2 in. for the press arm to swing down to get it's full travel, but I just don't lose any decapped primers.

(Wish I could send a picture, but at 87, I've got better things to do with the rest of my life than learn how to send pictures on the forum.)

Wes

Attached Files

joeb33050 posted this 15 December 2014

I never decap in a press.

Attached Files

joeb33050 posted this 15 December 2014

And I never step on a primer in bare feet.

Attached Files

adrians posted this 11 April 2015

Pentz wrote: The issue with the RCBS Jr. is the slot in the ram intended for the primer arm. Primers will fall into the slot down where the flat spring connects, then drop out the bottom. Hmmmm just had a thought about rotating the ram so the slot faces to the rear....thanks guys! this peice of plastic cured that annoying situation for me , now they are guided into the tray..

.22-10-45 posted this 12 April 2015

1+ joeb33050! After I refurbished my old CH “O” press..couldn't see dumping all that abrasive primer residue in the works again..been using punch & die, Lyman No.1, or Pope style re-de cappers ever since.

Attached Files

Close