Which mould (plain base) for .22's ?

• 4.6K Views
  • Last Post 04 January 2015
TRKakaCatWhisperer posted this 02 January 2015

I'm just starting to get serous with .22's (22 Hornet, 221 and 223) Which plain-base moulds for target shooting (100-200 yards) do y'all like? I have 3 Lyman GC moulds, need something plain-based. (4 rifles, several twists)  

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Brodie posted this 02 January 2015

TRK: Instead of buying a plain base mold why not just shoot the ones you have without the gas check? But, with that group of 22 center fires I would suggest something in the 30 to 45 gr. range for the Hornet, and cas checked of as least 70 gr. in the .223. Brodie

B.E.Brickey

Attached Files

John Alexander posted this 02 January 2015

I agree with Brodie's advice except that a 70 grain like NOE's excellent 22570 RN will require a twist of 1 in 10” or faster.  Some 223s have something faster but a lot don't.  A more pointed 70 grain (if there is such a mold) would take something tighter yet. If you have a 22 rifle with a 9” or faster twist the NOE 22780 SP would be interesting.

Measure you twist first and save yourself some trouble.

John

Attached Files

Old Coot wrote: TRK: Instead of buying a plain base mold why not just shoot the ones you have without the gas check? But, with that group of 22 center fires I would suggest something in the 30 to 45 gr. range for the Hornet, and cas checked of as least 70 gr. in the .223. Brodie
I thought of that.  Might take one of my two 225415's and either mill it shorter or bore the gas-check-shank out to full diameter.  (Hmmm.  which one - the slightly shorter original or the newer longer one?)  Today's trip to the range (shooting the GC flavor of 225415) was a good starter - one of the Hornets shot almost point of aim (zeroed at 100yds shot at 25yds) with the lightest load - and did very well.  

Attached Files

John Alexander wrote: I agree with Brodie's advice except that a 70 grain like NOE's excellent 22570 RN will require a twist of 1 in 10” or faster.  Some 223s have something faster but a lot don't.  A more pointed 70 grain (if there is such a mold) would take something tighter yet. If you have a 22 rifle with a 9” or faster twist the NOE 22780 SP would be interesting.

Measure you twist first and save yourself some trouble.

John
I like the looks of the 68-70 gr bullets, but it's most likely that I've got much slower twists that 10".  Most of the rifles liked the heaviest loads today.  55-ish gr.  Lyman 225415's.  One did very well with the lightest loads.  

Attached Files

TRKakaCatWhisperer posted this 03 January 2015

Took a quick look, two are right much fast and two are slower twists. That's good enough for now, good enough to know that a really light bullet is worth testing in two of them and a longer bullet is worth testing in the other two.

I was surprised to read that most folks got best results from the Hornet at higher velocities where the Walther did it's best with the lightest load. Will put that into the bucket as being verified by ONE group.

Attached Files

delmarskid1 posted this 03 January 2015

I shoot the 225415 without the gas check in my 218 bee. They are going a little over the speed of sound and make 6” groups at 150 yards. My rifle has a 12” twist.

Attached Files

John Alexander posted this 03 January 2015

TRK wrote:  I was surprised to read that most folks got best results from the Hornet at higher velocities where the Walther did it's best with the lightest load. Will put that into the bucket as being verified by ONE group.========

I think there is even more fiction written about 22 cast bullets than the other calibers.  You may read that load after load of the usual short bullets in a whole range of loads will shoot .5 to 1.0".  I wish they would show up at a CBA match somewhere. They could easily kickbutt with a 225438 at 2,500 fps and teach all those 30 caliber shooters a lesson.  I wonder why they never seem to show?  Probably just modest.

John

Attached Files

John Alexander wrote: TRK wrote:  I was surprised to read that most folks got best results from the Hornet at higher velocities where the Walther did it's best with the lightest load. Will put that into the bucket as being verified by ONE group.========

I think there is even more fiction written about 22 cast bullets than the other calibers.  You may read that load after load of the usual short bullets in a whole range of loads will shoot .5 to 1.0".  I wish they would show up at a CBA match somewhere. They could easily kickbutt with a 225438 at 2,500 fps and teach all those 30 caliber shooters a lesson.  I wonder why they never seem to show?  Probably just modest.

John

I'm a long way from doing match quality work, but I don't mind being straight up with the results I get.  I'm at least up to minute-of-squirrel now.

Attached Files

delmarskid1 wrote: I shoot the 225415 without the gas check in my 218 bee. They are going a little over the speed of sound and make 6” groups at 150 yards. My rifle has a 12” twist. how does that compared to 225415 with the GC?

Attached Files

John Alexander posted this 03 January 2015

"I'm a long way from doing match quality work, but I don't mind being straight up with the results I get.  I'm at least up to minute-of-squirrel now." Minute of squirrel ain't bad and you must have a lot of them in VA.  They freeze out up here except for the tiny red ones which are only good for eating holes in our awnings.  When I lived in MO and IN the 415 worked well. John John

Attached Files

delmarskid1 posted this 03 January 2015

TRK wrote: delmarskid1 wrote: I shoot the 225415 without the gas check in my 218 bee. They are going a little over the speed of sound and make 6” groups at 150 yards. My rifle has a 12” twist. how does that compared to 225415 with the GC?Now that I think of it I don't think I have ever shot it with a gas check. It shoots the Saeco 60g with a check into the usual 2-3"s at said distance.

Attached Files

John Alexander wrote: "I'm a long way from doing match quality work, but I don't mind being straight up with the results I get.  I'm at least up to minute-of-squirrel now." Minute of squirrel ain't bad and you must have a lot of them in VA.  They freeze out up here except for the tiny red ones which are only good for eating holes in our awnings.  When I lived in MO and IN the 415 worked well. John John
The squirrels didn't become an issue - until they discovered my two chestnut trees.  Now it's WAR! Skunks are an issue, but I'll trap them.  (I live in town - so shooting is best done with an air-gun to keep legal.)  Rabies goes through occasionally - and I have cats that get VERY close to the skunks.  Trapped over 75 since June (in my yard - 75x175).  Raccoons and ground hogs also carry rabies, so their on my hit list too. SO, one of my objectives here is to test a VERY quiet load in either Hornet, 221 or 223.  I guess I'll borrow the dB meter from work. Going to test the heavier Lyman today if the mist/rain clears off a little this afternoon.  

Attached Files

TRKakaCatWhisperer posted this 04 January 2015

OK!  Took the CZ 527 and the TC (21") both in .223 to the range to try out the Lyman 225646. Loads were 6.5, 7.0 and 7.5 gr of Green Dot; 25 yds (Marked correctly on card, not on cardboard). I think I LIKE the 7.0 gr - since I'll be using the TC for carrying.  (White dots are 1.5” in diameter)  

Attached Files

And the target for the CZ.  (I expect it will get much better.)  The lightest (6.5gr) looked reasonable but the CZ should do better than the TC.

Attached Files

I really like the bore-riding section - it just lightly engraves when chambered.

Mixed brass with these. (Which will get sorted someday.)

Attached Files

muley posted this 04 January 2015

that 6.5 gr of greendot with the T/C sure looked small and round. good shooting, Muley

Attached Files

muley wrote: that 6.5 gr of greendot with the T/C sure looked small and round. good shooting, Muley
Thanks, but it's ok shooting, not 'good'.  But it is at the range (25yds) I intend to use it at; so it's OK. I should be able to do much better - that's the goal - 1” or less at 100 yards.  (Will definitely have to have a better bench rest setup.  (front rest is a scissors jack with a piece of polyurethane foam on top)   It was really good to see the sequence of vertically oriented group, round group, and then horizontally oriented group.  Typical of what forms I see with jacketed bullets.  AND only 0.5 gr different.  Weighing powder is going to make a difference.  

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 04 January 2015

PLUS ONE for shooting plain base !! when i wuz a farm boy i used 438 and 462 plainbased in my 222 ... yep, 4 moa at it's best ... but he** on rats and starlings at 30 yards.

so YOU are the one that has the green dot !! dang i remember giving away cups of red dot, blue dot etc. to my loader buddies ... NO MORE MR. NICE GUY !!

ken

Attached Files

delmarskid1 posted this 04 January 2015

If you load the bullets backward you can make a nice wad cutter.

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa wrote: PLUS ONE for shooting plain base !! when i wuz a farm boy i used 438 and 462 plainbased in my 222 ... yep, 4 moa at it's best ... but he** on rats and starlings at 30 yards.

so YOU are the one that has the green dot !! dang i remember giving away cups of red dot, blue dot etc. to my loader buddies ... NO MORE MR. NICE GUY !!

ken
  It's an old can 3/4 full that I bought years ago; but it IS available here in VA at a very unreasonable price. When I'm done with it I'll switch to 2400 or similar.  

Attached Files

Close