Who is shooting .44-40?

• 8.2K Views
  • Last Post 03 October 2015
Ed Harris posted this 03 January 2015

I recently discovered the .44-40.  While an experienced reloader and caster, working with this classic cartridge has been an education!  I have been working with a Marlin 1894S with Microgroove barrel and a Ruger revolver.  Both guns have larger groove diameters of .44 Magnum dimensions and while the Marlin chamber is large enough to accept bullets which “fit", the Ruger revolver required custom chambering a cylinder.

I have loads worked out which perform well in my modern guns with smokeless powder and have no intention of using black powder. I will share my findings in an upcoming Fouling Shot article, but would like to start a .44-40 thread here to give others a chance to sound off and share their experiences and tips. Please enjoy the poll, which should allow multiple answers, if I did it right.

What I found of particular interest that the #2400 and 4227 powders often recommended for the Winchester 92 gave extremely erratic velocities.  Accuracy was far inferior to what I could get with Bullseye or RL7.  

RL7 isn't thought of as a revolver powder, but gave acceptable velocity with good accuracy, producing only a moderate amount of unburned powder, when testing the “rifle rounds” which gave me best accuracy, but firing them in my revolver.  These would not be the first choice handgun ammunition, but could be used as a hunting expedient.

Bullseye and Red Dot gave excellent accuracy in both rifle and revolver, producing velocities similar to black powder ammunition, HOWEVER, the best loads with those powders exceed factory pressure and should NOT be used in Colt single-actions or link-locked lever actions designed for black powder ammunition.

There are the loads I use successfully, please talk about yours!

Group 1 loads - safe in any .44-40 rifle or revolver: 200-grain (Accurate 43-200Q, wheeweights, .430") 15.4 grains #2400    1178 fps Marlin 1894S 20” 6.5 grains Bullseye   1142 fps Marlin 1894S 20” 5.0 grains Red Dot     894 fps Marlin 1894S 20” - Do Not Reduce 7.4 grains Red Dot   1203 fps Marlin 1894S 20” - Max.,Colts and link- locked levers 24.5 grains RL7        1359 fps Marlin 1894S 20", 901 fps Ruger 5-1/2” - based on old Hercules Data “should not” exceed SAAMI pressure and is believed safe in older guns

Group 2 LOADS ”€œ Win. 92, Marlin 1894S and RUGERs only:

200-grain Remington JSP .427", Starline cases, Rem. 2-1/2 primers, OAL 1.60" 8.4 grains Bullseye 1264 fps Marlin 20", 1000 fps 5-1/2” Ruger

200-grain Hornady XTP .430", Starline cases, Rem.2-1/2 primers, OAL 1.60" 8.4 grains Bullseye 1197 fps Marlin 20", 1036 fps Ruger 5-1/2"

200-grain cast lead bullet (Accurate 43-200Q Wheelweights, .430", OAL 1.60") 7.2 grains Bullseye 1284 fps Marlin 20", 967 fps Ruger 5-1/2" 7.8 grains Red Dot 1248 fps Marlin 20", 1023 fps Ruger 5-1/2" 8.3 grains Red Dot 1317 fps Marlin 20", 1073 fps Ruger 5-1/2"  26 grains Alliant RL7 1420 fps Marlin 20", 1050 fps Ruger 5-1/2"

230-grain cast lead bullet, (Accurate 43-230G, wheelweights, .430", OAL 1.61") 8.3 grains Red Dot 1254 fps Marlin 20", 1027 fps Ruger 5-1/2" 24.5 grains Alliant RL7 1323 fps Marlin 20", 957 fps Ruger 5-1/2"

These loads were safe in my Marlin rifle and Ruger revolver. Use at your own risk.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Bryan Austin posted this 03 January 2015

Blasphemy......what are you holding Ed?

Attached Files

Larry Gibson posted this 03 January 2015

I shoot the 44-40 in a Ruger Vaquero with 7 1/2” barrel. I use smokeless powder most often using VV N32C Tin Star or Alliant Unique but have used American Pioneer fffg BP substitute powder. I did extensive testing of N32C and the American Pioneer Powder for CBA shooting.

I mostly use the Lee 205 RF and TL240 SWC cast bullets. The TL240 shoots to the sights with my Tin Star load (7.2 gr for 815 fps). With Unique 8 gr also shoots to the sights and runs close to the same 815 fps. I recently acquired a Lyman 429360 mould and will see how the 230 gr SWC does in the Vaquero also.

My listed loads are safe in level I guns also. I use new RCBS dies and size the bullet s .429 a the throats and grove diameter of my Vaquero are both .429.

LMG

Concealment is not cover.........

Attached Files

gpidaho posted this 03 January 2015

Ed:  I shoot a Ruger Vaquero in 44-40. It's a good looking revolver with the case hardened frame finish and fake Ivory grips.  The moulds I use are the Saeco #61444 RNFP at 205gr. and the Lee TL430-240-SWC. These are sized to .427 in my Saeco lube sizer and lubed with Lyman Alox or Saeco Gold. And speaking of BLASPHEMY! some are also powder coated. I prefer Unique as my powder choice  up to 9.5gr but have had good success with Trail Boss at 5.5gr.  I loaded a dozen rounds the other day with Pyrodex P but have yet to shoot them. I would love to own a 44-40 lever but now in retirement have a Handi rifle budget  GP

Attached Files

John Taylor has my Vaquero .44-40 cylinder to ream the chamber necks to .447” and open the throats to .430 so I can load bullets of groove diameter.

My Vaquero is a 55- prefix made in 1994, so had tight .425 cylinder throats and .445 chamber necks, but barrel of .429 groove diameter!

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

SavvyJack wrote: Blasphemy......what are you holding Ed? il carabino di liberazione!  (Did I get it right, Giorgio?)

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 03 January 2015

While I have not loaded 44/40 for years, I did quite a bit of work with the Marlin micro-groove carbine for a friend. My records say 1/2 WW's and 1/2 pig lead, for #42798 sized .430” with a soft lube, LP mag primers. Best loads were 6.5 grains of Red Dot and 7.5 grains of Unique. Also noted that A2400 and SR4759 were not good groupers. FWIW, Ric

Attached Files

Notlwonk posted this 03 January 2015

I've been running SR 4756 in the 44's little brother, the 38-40. The 4756 had better accuracy than several other powders. They are being shot in a Hiwall so pressure is not as much of a concern.

Attached Files

mckg posted this 04 January 2015

Can a Cowboy hat be made of straw or does it become a Vaquero hat?

I have a bubbaish “Safari” New Service revolver; .428 all along as far as I can tell. I ordered it (unseen) at a price I couldn't pass, but before remembering that .428 out of my sizing die didn't chamber in a friend's 1873 Uberti's... It turned out that the ammo from the LEE dies (set and sizing) fit that old timer like if they were custom made.

I load 7 grains of a Herco-like surplus powder with the LEE 214-SWC. I haven't shot it too much as the indexing is a bit loose, and the grip slurps (planning on cutting a real forcing cone at least).

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 04 January 2015

Yeah, I figure that the fat bullets and enlarged necks of my hotter Marlin and Ruger loads are a useful safety feature because they won't chamber in the old guns! Using Starline brass and .430 bullets, loaded cartridge neck diameter is .446 and exposed bore riding nose outside case mouth is .429"

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 07 January 2015

when i wuz young, due to my only talent of being able to sniff out neat guns, i got to shoot a genuine sa colt peacemaker in 44-40, and a genuine winchester 73 in 44-40 ... ...and at the same time attended the original showing of jimmy stewart in * winchester 73 * ... dang !!! funny, i can't say it has ever been better since then ...

ken

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 07 January 2015

1950 was a good year. Jimmy Stewart made general of the Air Force that year.

Attached Files

gpidaho posted this 07 January 2015

Yes Ric, things were going pretty well in 1950, then I showed up!  LOL     GP

Attached Files

motorcarman posted this 19 February 2015

I took the poll but there was no question for shooting BOTH BP and Smokeless AND WEARING A COWBOY HAT.

bob

Attached Files

sfoster posted this 21 February 2015

I have only a Navy Arms Schofield replica with a 5 1/2” barrel in 44/40.  It has been a long time since I shot it.  I like that 5.0 grain load of red dot, and will try it. My only mold is a Lee round nose which I believe is 210 grains, made for the 44 special.    Should I back off a little more, or is 5.0 grains OK? 

Don't have a chronograph, so I don't know how fast they will be going. 

Thanks for bringing this topic up.

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 22 February 2015

5 grains of Red Dot should be OK, about 800 fps.

Attached Files

OU812 posted this 22 February 2015

I notice that N32C powder is veryhard to find now. It is my favorite cast bullet revolver powder.

Attached Files

Dirtybore posted this 23 February 2015

Your survey didn't include the option for which I fall into.

I have both a 44-40 rifle and revolver. I've shot both, black powder and smokeless in both firearms.

I've discovered that it can be a real pain trying to clean black powder fouling from a lever action rifle. Therefore, I've kept my black powder shooting to a minimum in the lever action rifles.

maybe someday I'll return to these firearms after I finish my other firearm projects I'm working on.

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 23 February 2015

Thanks for posting.

Which bullets and loads work best for in which guns?

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 28 May 2015

Would like to “bump” this thread.

Those of you who shoot black or Pyrodex in the Marlins and Vaqueros, what is your cleaning method? Do you just take off the grips, carry the gun into the shower and hose the works out like you did your M16 back in your misspent youth, then douse everything in Ed's Red before reassembly (since you don't have drums of JP or diesel around the hooch any more) or do you detail disassemble the gun, strain the parts through your red bandanna after rinsing and scrubbing with the leftover camp coffee and then heat the gun on a flat rock warmed next to the camp fire and smear lard over the hot parts with your shaving brush as you reassemble it?

Do you get any rust?

The simple question is, do you detail it or dunk it? Do you use water, then Ed's Red, Ballistol, or etc.? Never had any rust with my Old Army using the hot water and Ed's Red dunk....

Attached Files

Webley posted this 01 June 2015

At the moment, I only have one 44-40, a Colt Frontier Six Shooter. It has been in my family since the early 1920's. I only shoot it occasionally, with lead, but I am sorry to say using smokeless (Unique).

Attached Files

Show More Posts
Close