Index mark on bullet

• 3.6K Views
  • Last Post 18 April 2015
1885WIN posted this 02 February 2015

What is the correct method of putting a mark in the mold so the bullets can be indexed?

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
onondaga posted this 02 February 2015

A short scratch with a scribe or a short line from a vibrating point engraver on the nose portion of the mold near the beginning of the nose section, just above the top bearing band.

Attached Files

mrbill2 posted this 03 February 2015

Be careful marking the bullet nose. If the mark location on the nose leaves a raised mark on the cast bullet it can come in contact with the seating stem and cause misalignment when seating the bullet.

mrbill2

Attached Files

onondaga posted this 03 February 2015

http://castbulletassoc.org/view_user.php?id=8801>1885WIN

Round bullets and ammunition loaded with good concentricity eliminate the need for indexing. Learning how to address out of round bullets and ammunition with poor concentricity is not a lost art and plenty of support literature is available.

Gary

Attached Files

madsenshooter posted this 05 February 2015

Good observation Mr. Bill! I have an Eagan MX2-30-H that the index mark does just that. And if it doesn't hit in the seating die, it sure does when chambering in my K31. But there must not be a whole lot wrong with consistent misalignment, it shoots pretty good!

Attached Files

358156hp posted this 12 February 2015

Some guys use a center punch to mark the cavity, I've seen others who file a small notch in the mould at a spot on the parting line. After the bullet is seated in the cartridge the little bump from the notch is scraped off with a small knife, or even a fingernail.

Attached Files

John Alexander posted this 12 February 2015

I have moved this comment to it's own thread to avoid of horning in on  this one.

Attached Files

Crooked Creek posted this 10 March 2015

When I shot in cast bullet matches during the 1980's, I marked several bottom pour 30 cal. molds on one side of the end of the nose using a spring loaded center punch adjusted to a very light setting (test it first on a piece of mild steel) so as just to leave a mark. It put a mark that you could see and the very slight bump was not enough to cause any issue of misalignment on the sizing or seating stem.

Attached Files

LWesthoff posted this 10 March 2015

Take a look at the sizing and seating stem on your dies. To have any possible misalignment effect on your bullet, a raised bump (indexing mark) on the bullet would have to be 'way up there almost on the tip of the nose. There's lots of room on the ogive for an indexing bump where it won't touch anything... can't possibly cause misalignment during sizing or seating. All my bullet molds have indexing marks, and they all pass concentricity checks.

Wes

Attached Files

R. Dupraz posted this 10 March 2015

I have marked mold cavities by using a spring loaded center punch to put a tiny dimple just ahead of the driving bands. Doesn't interfere with anything and gets wiped away by the bullet's trip down the bore.

Attached Files

Bob 11B50 posted this 18 April 2015

I have a friend who marks his molds with a spring loaded center punch.  he has been after me for years to do the same thing.  I have never done that I do use a fine tipped black permanant marker and will put a small dot, or dots, close to the nose of the bullet(s) I want to mark when I open the mold.  That wont mess up a seating die when seating the bullet or cause a void in case the mold has to be returned to the maker. It works for me. Bob 11B50

Attached Files

Close