Yugoslav Type 59/66 SKS: What do I need to know about this model?

• 3K Views
  • Last Post 03 March 2015
Maven posted this 13 February 2015

I used to own a Type 56 (Chinese) SKS with spike bayonet and was quite impressed with how accurate it was + the machining of its parts.  I even wrote an article about it for the FS.  I sold it and other long guns to help defray the cost of a road bike (the kind you pedal), but now am interested in obtaining a Yugo. SKS.  According to my research for the FS article, the Yugo-made SKS's are stouter as they used “hotter” loadings + the  bores were NOT chrome lined due to the shortage of that element in what was then Yugoslavia and their fraught relationship with the former USSR. (Remember Jos. Broz Tito?)  There is a used, but like-new one available locally and I'm giving serious thought to purchasing it. What can you tell me about propellants, loading data, CB types, and likely diameter I'll need to size to for such a rifle?  Btw, I used to use WC 820 or Alliant 2400 with a C.E. Harris designed, but LBT produced bullet mold for the Type 56, but found Lyman #314299 to be a surprisingly good performer as well. Thanks in advance for your help!

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
RicinYakima posted this 14 February 2015

Well, I have one but don't know how I can help. I shoot jacketed bullets on self-loading. When I shot cast, I close the gas port (grenade launching position)and shoot 4.0 grains of WW231 behind Ed's 155 grainers from NEI. FWIW, Ric

Attached Files

Wineman posted this 14 February 2015

I concur with Ric. To me they are heavier, the wood is usually not as nice, the extra grenade and tritium sights add weight. The barrels are not chromed and as trait of most of the Combloc weapons, the trigger is rather stiff. Like most SKS, the firing pin is free floating and can jam in the out position, but Murray's can fix this, or just keep it clean. It is nice to have a brass saver button but I would rather shoot my 1903A3 as it is lighter and has better sights. They are like most Combloc's, super rugged, and I would not hesitate to take it on any Zombie, WTSHTF excursion. It has never missed a beat or jammed on any ammo I fed it. I live in CA so the grenade launcher has been replaced with a heavy muzzle brake. Also the front sight tool is not the same as other SKS, you need one specific to the Yugo model. It shoots cast fine, but mine prefers warmer loads if you want full function. I used the Lee 155 TL at 0.312 and 14.5 gr of 2400 and it shoots about the same as Wolf does. I do need a bit more elevation on the rear sight.

Dave

Attached Files

Maven posted this 14 February 2015

Actually, the Type 56 was a tad more accurate with the gas piston in place than the reverse, Ric.  As for the powder charge, 14 - 15 gr. WC 820 (AA #9) or 2400 worked well for me too wine man.  Thanks for the tip about the front sight tool, as I was completely unaware of that “refinement.”  Btw, if I do purchase the Yugo or even another Type 56 (Allan's Armory), I may need to get another mold to feed it.  Thus far, the Lee 323-175gr. 8mm Mauser mold looks promising, as I can size it to .314” with ease.  I also have a Jim Allison CBE .30cal. mold, which is very much like Lyman #31141, that may fit the SKS if I get lucky.  

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 14 February 2015

while looking for the ak47, take a look at a vz/cz 58 ... a very nice machine !! shoots the x39, is pretty accurate, and is cut out of good metal .

a friend has one and i could be jealous ... shoots cast in it too ...

also HICKOK has an interesting review on you-tube of this beauty .

ken

Attached Files

Larry Gibson posted this 15 February 2015

The Yugo SKS did not use “hotter” 7.62x39 loads. They used standard combloc 7.62x39 ammunition. Some enterprising reloaders can load them “hotter” with the gas system cut off close and get away with it. However, the gun can be damaged with such loads if fired with the gas system open.

Check the bore really well as a lot of the Yugo's had eroded and pitted bores from not being chrome lined and the use of corrosive primed ammunition and poor 1st echelon maintenance.

LMG

Concealment is not cover.........

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 15 February 2015

I gotta see that bike. How much can you spend on a road bike? I'm still riding my Schwinn Varsity I got before I could drive. Rode it from Eureka to Monterey on Hiway 1, no problem.

Attached Files

Maven posted this 15 February 2015

"The Yugo SKS did not use “hotter” 7.62x39 loads. They used standard combloc 7.62x39 ammunition. Some enterprising reloaders can load them “hotter” with the gas system cut off close and get away with it. However, the gun can be damaged with such loads if fired with the gas system open.”  ...LMG LMG, I got that from Frank Barnes, “Cartridges of the World.”  The reference is in my original FS article.  Barnes suggested, as you did, not to “hotrod” that cartridge in a gas operated action.  I mentioned that my article as well.

Attached Files

Maven posted this 15 February 2015

It's pretty pedestrian when compared to the newest ones, but you can spend in excess of $4k IF you want a fast, light (no more than 16 lb.), high performance bike, which may not be so comfortable to ride or practical for cyclists like me.  "Bicycling” magazine is filled with such machines if you're interested in having a look.

Attached Files

res45 posted this 03 March 2015

I purchased my refurb M59/66/A1 night sight version Yugo about 10 years ago,  I don't know if the barrel had been replaced or not but it was in mint condition.  The only issues I had with mine is that with some Russian ammo  Wolf  black box HP is that it wouldn't always cycle.  Handloads,commercial US made X39 as well as most other Russian and Chinese ammo cycled with no issues. 

I use the old paper clip trick on the gas valve nipple and it would cycle the Wolf.  Cycling problem can usually be attributed to either a worn gas valve or tube or sometimes both.  I ended up just replacing the gas valve with a new one from CNC Worrier and that fixed the issues,you can also purchase a stainless steel valve from Murray's Gunsmithing that has a slightly longer nipple with two options http://www.murraysguns.com/sks_gv.htm>http://www.murraysguns.com/sksgv.htm

Chrome lined bores are not a big issue to me ,they do clean up easier but over time the chrome lining can wear down and accuracy can suffer.   The Yugo SKS rifles didn't have chrome lines bores because they didn't have the technology to apply it to the bores,I email the head guy at Zastava years ago and ask him about the non chromed lined bores on the Yugo SKS rifle.  He stated they had the chrome ore but at the time not the technology to apply it that came about later when they developed there AK rifles.

As far as cast lead in the Yugo my bore has a .312” groove bore,I shoot the Lee .312” GC tumble lube design it drops pretty close to .314” out of the mold using WW alloy,  I just apply a GC with a Lee .314” push through sizer and lube the bullet once before and once after sizing with a light coat of Lee Alox/JPW lube thinned with a little mineral spirits I also have been shooting some powder coated as well but I get better accuracy at least in this SKS with the lubed lead loads. 

Although I like 12.5 to 14.5 grs. of Alliant 2400 in my Chinese SKS which cycles like a dream with the lower charge weight the Yugo can be a bit finicky at times with 2400 so for reliability purpose I just use a starting load of 18.0 grs. of Reloader #7 and it cycles like a dream and throws the brass about as far as regular steel case ammo.  Accuracy is excellent with the cast loads compared to any Russian offerings,with my scoped Yugo 1.5” groups at 100 yds with cast loads is not an issue at all.   I haven't had any issues with the gas tube leading up although after a few rapid fire secession I did manage to get some lead on the face of the gas piston but that came off fairly easy.  I probably just need to harded up the lead a bit or slow down my rate of fire.

'Artisan' in Lead, Brass & Powder.

Attached Files

Close