Lapping Aluminum Mold

• 8.6K Views
  • Last Post 06 March 2015
John Alexander posted this 19 February 2015

I have successfully lapped out bullet molds or parts of bullet molds in the past but never an aluminum one. I now want to take advantage of other people's experience for lapping out an aluminum mold -- especially someone who has experience with both types of materials. 

I would appreciate any advice.  How is it different from working on ones of iron or steel, if at all?  Different grits? What to watch for? Whatever.  Thanks.

John

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
onondaga posted this 19 February 2015

http://castbulletassoc.org/view_user.php?id=6375>John Alexander

I have used the cast slug with a hex nut cast onto the slug method. Turning is then easy with a wrench. I  have used simple dental flours of pumice and  liquid dish-soap as the lapping medium as aluminum is much easier to cut than steel. Also dish-soap easily rinses out for trial casting to check progress.

Gary

Attached Files

John Alexander posted this 19 February 2015

Thanks Gary that is helpful.

All I have for grits are valve lapping compounds (220 to 1,200) in some kind of oil so if I am unable to get reliable results with swaging to measure (See the Weet method and my question under “Expanding Mold Cavities” topic) having the grit in soap instead of oil would save a lot to time cleaning molds.

Where can I obtain dental flours of pumice and does it come in different grades?  If so what grade do you use.

John

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 19 February 2015

john ... i use an aerosol brake cleaner to clean instantly all kinds of oily/greasy/chippy messes ... from NAPA store; can't remember brand , maybe crc . mine is the clear stuff, not milky. probably a health hazard, so use caution.

with this cleaner you can use your oily grits. 250 grit sounds about right to get to your diameter.

next best is Dawn dish soap solution ...in squirt bottle ( house plant squirter ).

ken

Attached Files

onondaga posted this 19 February 2015

http://www.castbulletassoc.org/view_user.php?id=6375>John Alexander

Better pharmacies and compounding pharmacies will have Flours of Pumice. The name itself is a particle size designation. If the label reads Flours of Pumice it is the correct grit for me for the job I described above.

Some specialty woodworking tool supply businesses will also stock Flours of Pumice as it is also used in fine wood finishing projects.

Professional Dental supply sources will have Flours of Pumice.

There are many internet sources for Flours of Pumice that are found through your favorite search engine online.

Even Amazon has it:

http://www.amazon.com/Miltex-Instrument-70690-Pumice-Fine/dp/B00J9PEGTI/ref=sr13?ie=UTF8&qid=1424376102&sr=8-3&keywords=Flours+of+Pumice

Gary

Attached Files

OU812 posted this 20 February 2015

Practice on one cavity only until you think you have process down pat. I am sure onondaga's hex nut method will work verygood and should work using harder alloys, but be careful to not let hex nuts damage surface while spinning. Damage can be sanded off on flat surface.   A pure lead bullet shrinks more than harder alloys and will allow more clearance between bullet, 220 compound and mold. This extra clearance will allow bullet to spin more easily. A very small drop of oil will help cut better  

Open mold halves and apply a very small amount of 220-320 lapping compound using tooth pick to area that you want to enlarge. When closing mold halves together, be sure no compound squeezes out and preventing halves from closing all the way. It can damage mold If mold halves open during lapping, so clamp mold halves together. Do not put any compound in and around gas check area? This will enlarge and cause fins at base. Open mold, clean well and repeat until desired diameter is reached.

Attached Files

JeffinNZ posted this 20 February 2015

It's different is so much that you are dealing with a much softer metal so you must take care not to over do the job.

What I found enormously helpful when I lapped an alum mould was first taking a cast of each cavity in sulphur and measuring it. Now the sulphur will not be the same girth as your Pb alloy BUT it creates a nice baseline to lap from. As I progressed I could lap, clean the mould and take another cast without having to go through the heating up, cooling down process. I knew how big the sulphur bullets were and that I wanted to open up the mould 1.5 thou so away I went until the sulphur casts matched the net gain.

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 20 February 2015

John, Just remember there is aluminum and aluminum. I have lapped out two Lee moulds with JB bore compound quickly. An NEI took 1000 grit Clover for 10 turns, then JB. FWIW, Ric

Attached Files

Using a brass hex nut along with some type of fiber spacer between mould and hex nut should work verygood. Preheat everything so that tin/lead alloy will solder to hex nut. Bottom pour pot will help make job lots easier. Brass hex nuts can be purchased at the hardware store.

Attached Files

Bud Hyett posted this 20 February 2015

Center-drilled caps made with drill rod which function as a guide for a hole in the base are a help. I had a friend with a lathe turn several caps out of 7/16 rod with the internal recess measuring .314 for .308 bullets, .288 for 7 mm bullets, .247 for 6 mm bullets. He then used a center drill to drill a hole in the bottom. The recess is .250 deep.

Reverse the cap over the base of the bullet and you have a hole centered on the base. Using the centered hole, drill and tap a 4-40 thread in the base and then use an Allen screw and an Allen wrench to turn the bullet in the mold. This allows good leverage with a feel for resistance on the low spots and the easier turning telling you when the lap wears out. Plier jaws lightly engraving the area where you want the lap to work will hold the lap in place. This grooving action is more of an art than a science and takes practice.  

Farm boy from Illinois, living in the magical Pacific Northwest

Attached Files

The coarse Wheeler 220 fire lapping lapping compound will cut faster and not leave heavy scratch marks. Maybe you can imbed compound on lead bullet before lapping mold, much like imbedding bullets before fire lapping. This is done by rolling bullet in compound between two small steel plates.

Spray mold with light oil before closing and lapping. The oil really helps cut better.

Attached Files

John Alexander posted this 20 February 2015

Thanks to all for the many helpful suggestions.  I will start lapping this afternoon and put some of them into use. John

Attached Files

John Alexander posted this 23 February 2015

As anybody following this thread knows I received recommendations for lapping compound from 220 to very very fine for my aluminum mold and warnings about overdoing it.  So I tried something in the middle -- 400 and went easy. This stuff is from the fire lapping kits of lapping compound that Merrill Martin passed out to interested shooters willing to try fire lapping and report the results back 20-25 years ago.

I tried one lap for about 40 turns, stopping and redoing the knurlng and reloading with lapping grit twice.  This involved stopping after a few turns (two or three times) and cleaning the mold faces until the faces closed completely.   Washed with CRC (clear) brake cleaner and little tube to get it to the right place under pressure swaged with clean q tip and pressure washed again.  Bullets had some wrinkles that most would discard but gave reliable measurement on several bullets.  I could see no diameter increase from the bullets I had cast earlier for a control either in line with the parting line or perpendicular to it.

Second try, this time with 220 grit.  Same procedure, almost same result almost -- maybe .0001-2” diameter increase.

Bullets for laps have a hardness of 13-14 by LBT test method and relieved by lathe turning everywhere except the parallel nose which I would like to have larger and the nose and rear band for bearings to keep the lap straight.  My results so far are radically different that what others have reported for aluminum molds as being easy to remove material.  Maybe NOE uses a bullet proof aluminum alloy and heat treat?  Could my gritty feeling lapping compound not be cutting.  I will keep at it but so far I can't see that this aluminum mold is any easier to lap than the steel and iron ones I have lapped in the past.

Any and all suggestions appreciated.

John

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 23 February 2015

Interesting. I usually get about 0.001” in 50 revolutions. I would suspect lapping compound bad or weak grip strength (smile). Ric

Attached Files

onondaga posted this 23 February 2015

I believe the radically different results you got are specifically related to the lathe relieving of the slug that you mention.

The relieved area gives the abrasive compound a place to flow to. Try new slugs with no relief cut and concentrate more on applying the abrasive compound to the areas you wish cut.

Your open mold flush is sufficient but when replacing the slug with abrasive compound on it, Close the mold very gently at the start of rotating the slug. Then gently increase mold handle squeeze while turning the slug. You should definitely feel the abrasive cutting the Aluminum by the amount of resistance the slug turning has for the first 5 or so turns. I can tell if I have the right amount of abrasive paste in there at that moment because squeezing the mold handles will act like a brake if your squeeze is too sudden or too hard.  Gently bring pressure as you turn the slug.

The method is very specific to get it to work for me. I believe any relieved areas will allow the abrasive to flow away from the area you desire to cut. A relieved area on the honing slug introduces a void for the abrasive to flow into. This takes away the cutting power in the desired area.

Good luck, Try again.

Gary

Attached Files

Bud Hyett posted this 23 February 2015

Depending on the alloying agents and the control of growth in the crystalline structure in cooling,some aluminum alloys can be as strong and tough as low carbon steel alloys. When ordering repair parts for aircraft, the planner needs to research the actual alloy callout for the aluminum to assure strength requirements are met. I wonder what alloys the mold manufacturers are using; they would assuredly be using a higher strength alloy for better machining characteristics. Keep the slow pace going; often, a person gets frustrated and doubles the number of turns when a ten or twenty percent increase would have been adequate. This is the voice of experience speaking.  

Attached Files

John Alexander posted this 24 February 2015

Thanks again for the additional replies.

Although the lapping compound feels gritty and I have lapped iron molds with it I may try another.

There is no lapping compound flowing to the relieved portions of the lap.  The compound is black and there is no sign of it on the shiny relived parts of the lap after lapping.  My procedure is what Gary describes in the third paragraph of hie post #15.

I will try again today maybe with even less oil in the lapping compound and more knurling between tries and report back.

John

Attached Files

onondaga posted this 24 February 2015

I acknowledge and have observed the Venturi Principle being applied when a mold is closed with a honing slug and an abrasive paste. The abrasive paste will flow to a more open space, like your relief area,  where there is less pressure. It is just physics John, not an argument.

Viscosity of the abrasive paste will effect how obviously the principle is observed but viscosity will not negate the Venturi Principle.

Also, I just prefer a dish soap media for the abrasive for the simple reason that dish soap rinses out easily with water and a petroleum media requires a stinkier solvent cleaning. A running faucet is pretty simple to remove soap and an abrasive grit so a mold will close.

Gary

Attached Files

OU812 posted this 24 February 2015

I used a cordless drill and wood screw to spin bullet (not easy). I also used Clover fine valve lapping compound. This cut iron mold quickly. I also used the Wheeler 220 compound to enlarge a NOE 22 caliber 52gr RCBS clone.    Sorry your 220 grit compound did not work. Atleast you have not destroyed the mold cavity....YET. Be very careful. You will get it.   Are you trying to enlarge the bore ride section? I have a NOE 3 cavity version of your 80gr design. Maybe I can enlarge one of the cavities and send you samples.

Attached Files

I tried it again this afternoon.  More knurling and more careful lapping got the job done. I guess I was just impatient after hearing the warnings about going too fast with my first aluminum mold lapping attempt.  The bore riding nose in one cavity is now .0008” larger in diameter which is about what I wanted to try.  I will check fit and also how it shoots before doing more or lapping other cavities.

Gary, I don't want to argue either and I certainly respect physics but since you brought it up I have to disagree about the venturi effect being involved. The conditions for the venturi effect are simply not present here.  The venturi effect is the reduction in pressure when a fluid flows through a constricted place in the pipe. There is no flow and no pipe nor anything like continuous flow in a pipe involved in lapping.  If the lapping compound had migrated (which it didn't) to the more open space where I relieved the slug the straightforward explanation you mentioned in your #15 post of it just being squeezed out by simple pressure into the empty space would be a better explanation. 

I do agree with you that soap and water would be a better carrier for the grit but unfortunately the stuff came in an oil base and I didn't have that choice.   Thanks again to all who helped out and your patience while I timidly stumbled around with this.  I got a little spooked when the first attempts had so little effect.

John      

Attached Files

Keith, Yes, I am just enlarging the nose. I am actually working on my noe 22570 RN mold.  Thought I would get the feel of doing it before modifying the 80 grain mold.  I hope to eventually get better accuracy with a nose that fits my rifle better.  Thanks for the offer but I guess I got excited too soon.  I just expected more action. Is the Wheeler 220 stuff just the grit?  If so I am going to get some.  It sure would be nice to just be able to wash out the mold with water as Gary suggest. John---------

OU812 wrote: I used a cordless drill and wood screw to spin bullet (not easy). I also used Clover fine valve lapping compound. This cut iron mold quickly. I also used the Wheeler 220 compound to enlarge a NOE 22 caliber 52gr RCBS clone.    Sorry your 220 grit compound did not work. Atleast you have not destroyed the mold cavity....YET. Be very careful. You will get it.   Are you trying to enlarge the bore ride section? I have a NOE 3 cavity version of your 80gr design. Maybe I can enlarge one of the cavities and send you samples.

Attached Files

OU812 posted this 25 February 2015

Actually the Clover fine compound will cut better, but I have very little left over.

I can send you some Wheeler 220 to test. PM your address and I will get it out to you if interested.

Attached Files

OU812 posted this 25 February 2015

Go to hardware store and buy you a 1/4 socket drive for your cordless drill and maybe some brass hex nuts. The cordless drill will make turning easier...start off slow then increase speed as lap frees up more. I would also clamp mold shut in vise while lapping. Be sure to protect top of mold before turning hex nut.

IMO the wood screw idea is more difficult. The lap is difficult to get spinning and screw wants to travel into bullet deeper.

Attached Files

John Alexander posted this 25 February 2015

Thanks for the offer.  PM sent.

I bought a lightweight cordless drill and found that it wasn't variable speed so took it back.  I have a big heavy monster. I will look for another.  I have been using a hand powered drill which seems to work but probably wobbles as I turn the handle.  Since I have left bearing on each end of the slug that may be OK.

I have been drilling the slug and epoxying in a cut off allen wrench for a shaft which also works OK.   John

Attached Files

j35nut posted this 27 February 2015

Hi John

Here is a old post from the CB-L Yahoo list By Steve Hurst I saved, maybe it will give you some more idea's on lapping.

Steve used to contribute lots of articles for the Cast bullet

Lapping moulds I enjoyed the recent thread on lapping. I have lapped a few moulds here are some more ideas.

It is quite common to find the nose diameter to small on mass produced molds. If the nose diameter is too large, the bullet will not fit, it comes right back to the manufacturer with a nasty letter in the box. Too small and it will fit and shoot and even though it shoots poorly this is OK with lots of folks. To avoid this, most commercial mould makers plan to error on the small side.

Believe me, even custom mould makers do not get it right the first time. I have returned more custom moulds than mass produced moulds, when I pay $$$ I expect diameters as specified. Lapping a commercial mould will get you a mould to cast correct diameter bullets with your alloy for your rifle or pistol, often for a lot less money than a custom mould.

Many cast bullet shooters “bump” bullets in a lube sizer to expand the nose diameter to fit the bore. I find this a tedious procedure that also limits the hardness of the alloy you can use. I prefer to modify the mould so the bullets are the correct size with whatever alloy I want to use. Here is how I do it.

Make a dozen well filled out bullets of hard alloy like typemetal for each cavity. I have tried soft alloy bullets for lapping and they do not work well. The soft alloys are less effective; they cast a smaller bullet and wear very quickly. You need a well filled out bullet, so make sure you heat the mould blocks to full operating temperature. This means you may have heat the blocks or cast 50 or more bullets. What the heck, you can shoot the leftovers.

The best tool for honing is a small “T"-handle tap wrench and taps. These are available in a small set with common screw size taps and the correct drills for a few bucks. Do not be cheap; the tap wrench is a superior tool. I know; I have tried other methods of turning the lap. The tap handle makes it much easier to control the lap and avoid off center pressure that can cause an egg shaped cavity. Pick a tap appropriate to the size of the bullet, with the outside thread diameter smaller than 25% of the bullet diameter.

I read the recommendation in the other post about using Allen wrenches. Having the handle out on one side is exactly what you do not want. Been there, tried that with a screw and vice grips. The handle on one side makes it easy to get off-center pressure. If you want to go cheap, get a brass wood screw, use small round file to cut the head slot half-round. Solder in a small piece of brass rod. This will get you a “T” handle that is easy to use.

You need to drill a hole in the base of each lap bullet without damaging it. Do NOT do this in the mould blocks; the chance of damaging the blocks is too great. A lathe and collets will do a perfect job. However, without a lathe, put two hard wood blocks in a vise or “C” clamp, Drill a hole slightly smaller than the bullet diameter between the blocks, use the blocks in a
vise or “C” clamp to hold the bullet. Discard the first bullet clamped in the blocks since it may distort as the wood forms to the bullet's shape. Check the second bullet with your calipers or micrometer to make sure the pressure used does not distort it. I do not have a lathe; I use the wood block method.

Drill a hole in the base of the bullet with the correct drill, use tapping lube or WD-40 on the drill to prevent the drill from sticking. If you get the hole off center, throw that bullet away and try again. Now you know why you needed a dozen bullets. A drill press is nice, but there is a cute little drill alignment tool that makes the job easier. This is just a folded piece of metal that slips in next to the drill. Freehand works, but you may need the whole dozen bullets. Drill the hole as deep as you can, you need at least 5 times the diameter of the tap for a good grip.

Turn the tap into the hole, the bullet diameter should not increase when you turn in the tap or screw. Taps are better because there is a place for the metal to go. This is usually not a problem with typemetal, but it can be with softer alloys. If you expand the base of the lap, you will get a tapered bullet. Check with your micrometer.

For iron moulds I use Clover brand 220 grit carbide in a grease base. For aluminum moulds, a 320 grit carbide or aluminum oxide works better. Aluminum is softer and cuts faster and the finer abrasive slows the cutting and gives better control. Aluminum oxide leaves a smoother cavity in aluminum, but I cannot see any difference in the bullets. I sometimes use a smaller grit abrasive, 320 on iron and 400 on aluminum. I want to go slow, so I have time to do it right. YMMV choose a larger grit if you want. Grits over 400 mesh cut very slowly.

Examine the lap, if there is a visible seam at the part line or whiskers from the vent lines, you will need to trim this off with a sharp blade. Apply a small dab of abrasive to the lap and smear it over the lap. Do not use too much, the amount of abrasive needed is very small.

Hold the blocks in set of correct mould handles, preferably made by the maker of the blocks. It should not be necessary to say this, but I know people that try to use one set of handles for blocks from various manufacturers. If you lap a mould in incorrect handles, you can permanently damage the mould. The blocks should be loose enough so that they can freely align on the pins.

Insert the lap into the cavity and close the blocks. It will help to align the part line on the lap 90 degrees to part line on the blocks. Turn the lap while slowly closing the blocks; adjust the closing pressure on the handles to get slight resistance to turning the lap. As long as there is resistance on the lap, it will continue to cut. Turn clockwise several revolutions and then reverse your direction for the same number of turns. Try not to put any sidewise pressure on the tap handle, it is best to work with the handle vertical. Open the blocks and remove the lap. Remove all material from between the faces of the blocks so that they can completely close. It is normal to find lead shavings from the lap along with compound forced out between the blocks. Reinsert the lap and repeat, you may want to add a tiny bit of compound. When the lap turns easily, with the faces of the blocks clean and firm pressure on the handles, stop. If doing a multiple cavity mould, repeat in the other cavities using a fresh lap in each.

After the lap turns easily, clean the cavities, and check for signs of progress. On iron moulds, “white” spots inside the cavity indicate that you have removed metal. Un-lapped portions will remain blue. Iron moulds have a blued surface that indicates where the lap is cutting. Aluminum blocks do not, so you should blacken the cavity in aluminum moulds with a Magic Marker to get the same effect. If you see an un-lapped section on one side, put the lap back in and favor that side with gentle pressure.

If the un-lapped area in the backs of the cavity, away from the mold face, you probably have not kept the faces of the mould clean. Another cause is failure to keep firm closing pressure on the handles. Continue to turn the lap until firm handle pressure does not give resistance to rotation. You might have to favor the backs of the cavities. Stop when you have completely removed the colored surface.

Generally, a “white” cavity in an iron mould will cast at least 0.0005” larger. You can usually use another lap and perhaps a third in iron moulds before the cavity gets too loose on the lap. In aluminum, you will get about 0.001 to 0.0015"-diameter increase with one lap and a “white” cavity. You will probably need to stop and cast a new set of bullets after one lap in an aluminum mould. If you use a loose lap, you can end up with an egg shaped cavity. Stop and make a new set of lapping bullets.

Between laps, or after you cast a new set of lap bullets, clean the mould and use Magic Marker to blacken the mould cavities. On iron moulds you can use Magic Marker, or one of the chemical bluing solutions to color the cavities. This will let you keep track of where the next lap is cutting.

You can lap one band or the nose by applying compound to only that portion of the lap. Do not use much, as it will tend to spread out as you turn the lap. When lapping one band, change the lap and clean the cavity if the abrasive spreads out. Use a new lap with less abrasive. You may find it better to apply some grease to the rest of the bullet to make it turn easier if you are only trying to lap a small part of the bullet.

When I first lapped one section of a mould, I cut off the other part of the lap. This turned out to be a bad idea; it was difficult to control the short lap. I could not keep it centered and the cut was out of round. It was much better using the whole lap. The portions of the lap that were not cutting helped to center the lap. I was able to correct the mistake I made with the short lap.

I have not tried to even out the cavities in a multiple cavity moulds, all my moulds have had well matched cavities. The idea that you can make multiple cavities similar by using a bullet from the larger cavity to lap the smaller one sounds OK, but I have not tried it. After I get the size right, I try a fresh lap gently in each cavity in multiple cavity moulds. If a cavity feels tighter than the others do, I carefully turn the lap a few times in it and re-measure with a fresh lap. Using this procedure, I have not been able to measure any differences in the bullets cast in different cavities after lapping.

I have lapped over 10 moulds to increase their diameter, including several four-cavity moulds. I have lapped three aluminum moulds. I have increased the gas check diameter on Lyman moulds to get a tight fit in the gas check. I have increased the nose diameter on bore ride bullets so the bullet nose matched the rifle bore diameter. The largest increase was 0.003” the bullets were perfectly round as far as my micrometer could measure. I have not ruined a mould, all the lapped moulds work better.

This is a slow process, it took an afternoon to do a 0.0015 increase in a two-cavity iron mould, two laps, stop and cast new laps, lap again. Doing a 0.001 increase in two four-cavity moulds took most of the day. If you are in a hurry, you can ruin a mould. Using a drill to turn the lap is a recipe for disaster. This is a hand job where feel is important. Go slow, stop and measure, look and learn and you will be OK.  

Good luck-----J

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • harleyrock
John Alexander posted this 27 February 2015

j35nut, Thanks for posting Hurst's method of mold lapping.  He seems to have a good system.  At least one of his techniques (coloring the cavity with a magic marker to see where the lap is cutting in an aluminum mold) I will adopt right away for today's continuing work. John 

Attached Files

gpidaho posted this 27 February 2015

My first attempt at lapping an aluminum mould worked well for me, just took a little more time than I thought it might. Great thing about Mr. Lee's mould is it gave me the courage to give it a try, knowing if I messed it up I was only out $20. GP

Attached Files

OU812 posted this 27 February 2015

I make sure bullet spins freely in clamped mold before adding compound.

Attached Files

Bud Hyett posted this 27 February 2015

Be very careful about adding power tools to the lapping process. No industrial supply sells a “putting-metal-back-on” tool. Even in the lapping process, a person can get too aggressive.

I am aware the lapping process is slow and almost painful, that is why I'll dedicate a whole rainy day to the lapping process. In the Pacific Northwest, we  get a lot of rainy days to dedicate.

Attached Files

John Alexander posted this 28 February 2015

I am using an oil based lapping compound until I can get some dry grit and use liquid soap for the medium as Gary suggested. I am making slow progress (here we have sub zero days instead of rainy days for mold lapping Bud.) But cleaning the mold to get trial measurements is driving me nuts.  In the past I have  had good luck cleaning oiled molds by washing in boiling water with laundry soap then rinsing in clear boiling water.

This time I tried brake cleaner that others report as effective.  I have CRC “Brakleen".  I have been using the little plastic tube to spray the cavities with two high pressure squirts and rotate a clean q-tip in the cavity after the first. Hard to see how any oil could escape.  That didn't work so I went to CRC plus my boiling soapy water method and that's not working either -- wrinkles persist even when mold is up to temp with 800 degree alloy.

After two or three tries I finally occurred to me that the CRC stuff might be the problem since the boiling water always worked before -- Duh. Today I will omit the CRC step.  Has anybody had a similar experience with brake cleaner?  Is there a better brand?  What is the best soap to use with boiling water?

Yes, I have tried the Weet method of swaging a soft nose only in the mold to avoid casting bullets to measure but have not been able to get repeatable measurements by that method.  

John

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 28 February 2015

John,

I have had various chemical products give me problems. “Brakleen” from the old days was one of them, as was lighter fluid and menthol alcohol. But not in every situation, that I can remember. Some moulds must have a greater porosity than others even of the same brand. The only method that has been consistent has been “Dawn” dishwashing soap and hot water. Then pre-heating before casting, and sometimes that takes a couple of baths before they are clean. One last thought is to lightly rub the cavity with a lead pencil, as the wax/graphite mixture seems to seal, sometimes.

Attached Files

OU812 posted this 28 February 2015

Spray can of Gun Scrubber (Walmart) works really good. Do not use the synthetic safe version. Powder Blast does not work as well

LBT told me the best way to pre heat their molds is by dipping end of mold in hot melt for about 20 seconds. Smaller 22 caliber may need 30 seconds. I also cast 22 caliber hotter @950 degrees with WW alloy to prevent wrinkles.

Attached Files

OU812 posted this 28 February 2015

John, I may try powder coating to increase diameter and to maybe prevent fliers. Just a thought?

Attached Files

John Alexander posted this 06 March 2015

Have done some more lapping on the mold.  I used the Wheeler 220 grit sent by OU812 and cleaned with the Dawn soap recommended by Ric.  Both worked better than what I had been using.

The Wheeler compound spread easier on the lap and cut much faster than the 220 compound I had been using and I now see why the warning about not overdoing it as the first cavity was enlarged to my target diameter by the first try by hand turning -- no drill.  I will get some of the Gun Scrubber on my first trip to the local consumertorium.  Thanks for the help.

John

Attached Files

R. Dupraz posted this 06 March 2015

Don't know anything about lapping an aluminum mold but have lapped and polished several steel blocks, sizing and loading dies.        I have used Clover of several different grits in the past that work OK but the best lapping compound that I have found for this purpose is Versachem metal grinding compound found in an auto parts store. It is a grease based silicone carbide product and comes two tubes to a package. One coarse and one fine. The coarse is about 220 and the fine is more like 400. Coarse to start and fine to finish.      Works very well on all of the above .

Attached Files

Close