NEI Mould Prep

• 2K Views
  • Last Post 21 March 2015
hrafknel posted this 18 March 2015

With my first NEI mould, I bought a bottle of Walt's Mould Prep.  I used it on the bottom of the spruse plate and the top of the mould.  Later, I used it inside the mould.  Loved the stuff !!!!  Went on with a q-tip, no mess, no over run. Current the NEI web site shows that they no longer offer it.  Any ideas what it was made of and is there a duplicate being offered by some one? Hrafknel  

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Tom Acheson posted this 18 March 2015

Midway has a similar product but be careful with it. Some mould makers have cautioned against letting it come in contact with the bullet cavity. It is called Frankford Arsenal Drop Out Bullet Mold Release Agent. Warm the mould up, put a q-tip into each cavity and the spray all mould surfaces. Reduces build-up under the sprue plate and resists lead “splashes” onto the bottom side of the mould.

Tom

Attached Files

vmwilson posted this 18 March 2015

hrafknel wrote: With my first NEI mould, I bought a bottle of Walt's Mould Prep.  I used it on the bottom of the spruse plate and the top of the mould.  Later, I used it inside the mould.  Loved the stuff !!!!  Went on with a q-tip, no mess, no over run. Current the NEI web site shows that they no longer offer it.  Any ideas what it was made of and is there a duplicate being offered by some one? Hrafknel    It's still listed on their site under “order online".  I also like that product.

Mike

Attached Files

onondaga posted this 18 March 2015

http://castbulletassoc.org/view_user.php?id=134>hrafknel

There is  infinite ways to clean and lube molds. Basic chemistry shows that petroleum products leave a residue or excess that gasses out under heat causing bullet defects. Keep that in mind before committing to a product.

I clean molds with water, Comet cleanser and brushes, then rinse thoroughly and dry.  I lightly lube sensible areas only to a slight shine sparingly with clear, high heat automotive Silicone Dielectric grease.  That is simple and works. Graphite pencil lead scribbled on is a good lube and anti-flux for mold pins, guides and sprue plates too.

Complicate the chemistry beyond that and you are asking for trouble.

Gary

Attached Files

Chargar posted this 19 March 2015

I have been using it for 30 years. I have several bottles in reserve.

Attached Files

frnkeore posted this 21 March 2015

I'm also a long time user of NEI Mold Prep. I got a 4 oz bottle with my first NEI mold, back in 1987. I still has about 1/3 of the bottle left so, it goes a long way. I only use it on aluminum molds that don't want to cast and it works perfect for that.

It also will come out of the mold, using just alcohol so, it will not hurt one.

What I think it's made of, is powdered graphite, supended in alcohol.

Frank

Attached Files

Close