Dedicated 30/40 Krag Mold

• 1.7K Views
  • Last Post 23 March 2015
frnkeore posted this 21 March 2015

I drew up a mold designed for the 30/40 chamber, ala SAAMI chamber specs. I realize that there may be differences induced by period manufacturing processes, tolerance and wear  from use of period jacked bullets and corrosive primers, to be addressed with a increase in diameter. I've left a little length (.02 - .03) to seat out and still go through the magazine.  The main objective is a match bullet for CBA competition. I like the Krag, a lot but, rarely see it used in the military matches. When it is used, it doesn't place at the top of the standings. Maybe that's just because of the low number of rifles entered, that there is not the same level of developement as the '06 but, I would like to see it do better, hence this design. Not to mention that I have a nice Krag to try it in :) If anyone is interested, there is a discusion over at NOE: http://noebulletmolds.com/smf/index.php/topic,705.0.html Frank

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Rich/WIS posted this 22 March 2015

Given what people are reporting on variations in bore and throat diameters in the Krag is it even possible to make a mold that will drop a bullet that covers all the variables? I would be happy to just find a reliable supply of brass.

Attached Files

frnkeore posted this 22 March 2015

That is the point with this bullet. It can be available in diameters as large as .315/.316. Depending on how much it interpolated (enlarged) when the mold is cut and the alloy used.

The main advantage is that the front band, matches the the throat angle.

There would also be a PB option that could be had in the same blocks.

Frank

Attached Files

Dirtybore posted this 23 March 2015

I believe the Lyman #311284, 210 gr bullet mould was designed with the krag in mind.

Attached Files

Close