Cast Bullets in an AR

• 1.7K Views
  • Last Post 28 March 2015
Millelacs posted this 28 March 2015

I'm thinking about picking up a S&W MP15.  Something light enough that I don't need a trailer to drag it behind me.  I lifted a target / competition gun when I looked at the MP15, and it felt like I needed a lift jack for it.  Kind of defeated the purpose of having a lightweight rifle.

Cal: 5.56 NATO.  16 1/2” barrel with a 1-in-9” twist.  Rather have a 20” barrel, but 16 1/2” is the way they come, Magpul flip up rear sight mounted on a rail (I've seen them sold as “back-up” sights), post front sight, and a 6-position collapsible stock (not my favorite, but that's the way they come.  I'm concerned it may have to much flex in it).

I'd prefer something resembling a M-16 A1, but nothing current available.

I'm not expecting target grade accuracy, but want something that will shoot “decent".  No “spray and prey” accuracy.  I dragged my Mini-14 out last fall, and was disappointed with it.  “Shotgun” groups at 100 yards, with a standard Mini-14 peep sight, off a sandbag, using 25-year old commercial jacketed reloads.

What kind of accuracy is should this rifle be capable of, providing I do my job?

What cast bullets where would be good to start?

Obviously, with an AR, I need a bullet that is short enough to feed through the magazine.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
gpidaho posted this 28 March 2015

Milelacs:   It seems to me from your post that you are willing to accept way too many compromises in the AR your considering.  I would suggest you do more shopping before you purchase.  You don't have to buy there if you would rather buy local, but go to an online site like Bud's or such and look over the options. When I got my AR years ago I ordered it in and waited to get the features I wanted,  My AR is a Rock River Arms 20” Varmint, one in eight twist with a fixed stock. It wears a Trijicon Accupoint scope for very fast acquisition. I have loved this rifle from day one and it is as accurate as most of my bolt guns and a lot more so than some. And if your going to shoot cast in a gas gun, it's my suggestion to bone up on powder coating and save yourself some grief with the gas system.   Enjoy your new rifle!   GP

Attached Files

onondaga posted this 28 March 2015

http://castbulletassoc.org/view_user.php?id=48>Millelacs

There are so many AR parts, accessories and modifications available it is a thought process to decide what you want and what will fill your use application well.

I recommend you start with a lower receiver and make a big deal out of every part selection you add to it and build the rifle just for you. They are not hard to build at all and there is so much free helpful building information on the internet it is silly.

If you will be shooting cast bullets, they shoot much better from the longer barrels available.

Even the plentiful and simple A1 parts kits added to a lower makes a nice rifle. An excellent trigger is the most important assembly to get toward accuracy with the AR. I use an adjustable Jard trigger set at 1 pound. That shoots way better than the military 7-10 pound trigger.

A nicely setup AR will bench shoot under an inch at 100 yards with NATO ammo. Box stock inexpensive ones usually shoot 2 inches or worse at 100 yards.

Gary

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 28 March 2015

I'm a fan of the 'Double Star' line. Easy to find, they will have what you want. Lots of info available on cbs in the AR. Recent edition of the CBA's magazine The Fouling Shot had a good how-to article by Ed Harris. Don't settle for less than what you want, you'll just end up doing it over. I have a basic A2 type and it's no more accurate than my carbine. I don't like chasing brass and so use other guns more often when shooting .223 cb.   EDIT; I average about 1.25 MOA across the board with my inexpensive milspec ARs. Horrible triggers, issue forends.

Attached Files

Close