STP case lube

• 4.8K Views
  • Last Post 10 May 2015
R. Dupraz posted this 28 March 2015

From the FWIW depart.            Having finally run out of RCBS case lube and reading, hearing etc that STP works some where once, I got some today. Four bucks and some change for 15 ounces. Dang near a life time supply. It does. Right up there with lanolin.           No annealing           30 Herret from 30-30         .308 from 30-06         Oh, Nuts! I didn't do fifty of each to confirm the results with all the numbers! Spose the above falls into the column of just another key board group.    

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
RicinYakima posted this 29 March 2015

RD, I'm glad it works for you. I've made my own Imperial Sizing Die Wax for about 5 years at $20 a pound. I still have over half of it left, too. Once is enough for case forming data, I believe 0:)

Attached Files

highstandard40 posted this 29 March 2015

RicinYakima wrote: RD, I'm glad it works for you. I've made my own Imperial Sizing Die Wax for about 5 years at $20 a pound. I still have over half of it left, too. Once is enough for case forming data, I believe 0:)   If you don't mind sharing, what is the recipe?

Attached Files

delmarskid1 posted this 29 March 2015

I use Wynn's motor honey for the same reasons. I put it in a dish soap bottle and have used half in 10 years. I cut up bits of towel about 2” square and keep a double fist full in an old tin flour canister. I can lube about 50 -06 cases at a time. It's hard to over lube to the point of getting dents but it can be done.

Attached Files

tlkeizer posted this 29 March 2015

Greetings,RD, I dunno, you may have to trim the necks just a wee bit. Hope your day is going well. Next time I need to make 25-06 from military 30-06 I may have to get some STP to try. I am just about out of my Bonanza case lube anyway, so this gives me a good option. TK

Attached Files

R. Dupraz posted this 29 March 2015

Hey Terry;   Springtime in the far north yet?   “I dunno, you may have to trim the necks just a wee bit"   No wonder I Couldn't get that brass to chamber!

Attached Files

cbshtr posted this 29 March 2015

You can even save a couple bucks and buy the generic brand. I used it for some case forming without a hitch. Got rid of my 44 mag carbide dies because I was tired of undersize necks and went back to lubing. More work but works great.

Robert Homan

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 29 March 2015

15 oz. of Castrol Stick Wax, cutting and drawing, heated slowing just enough to melt. Then stir in 2 oz. of anhydrous lanolin and let cool. The lanolin is only need to lower the melting point below your skin temperature so it sticks to your finger to transfer to the case. The wax works great for all metal forming operations, but melts above 100 degrees so it is not convenient to put it on the case by hand. I bought the wax from ENCO machine supply and the lanolin at the drug store. HTH, Ric

Attached Files

highstandard40 posted this 29 March 2015

Thanks Ric

Attached Files

oscarflytyer posted this 31 March 2015

Day um! I could care less about case lube. I have been wanting some STP for my old/high mileage engines, but haven't seen any in a long time. Guess I need to look harder. My GF got great results from it in engines and I used to use it all the time. Now if I can find it here, I have double use for it!

Attached Files

Bud Hyett posted this 31 March 2015

Groom and Clean hair tonic works well. A very small dab on your hands, wipe the palms together to cover each palm, and then roll eight to ten cases between your hands and size. Repeat for the next set of eight to ten cases.   I've used Groom and Clean for both resizing and case forming. Groom and Clean is water soluble and cleans off the cases very easily. It is also cheap in the sense that you use very little of it each time, a little dab will do you.

Farm boy from Illinois, living in the magical Pacific Northwest

Attached Files

giorgio de galleani posted this 31 March 2015

I decided that the STP oil treatment absolutely  is the old RCBS case lube some years ago , so I have always used the cheaper STP for sizing cases and in the old engines of my cars with success..

Attached Files

Goatwhiskers posted this 31 March 2015

Been using a pad with STP on it for over 40 years, just recently had to recharge it a little. Will say that it's a small pain to clean off-till I recently got a vibratory cleaner-but I've never had a stuck case. GW

Attached Files

noylj posted this 10 May 2015

two-cycle motor oil works great also. I never worked about wiping the case lube off. A little case lube goes a LONG way.

Attached Files

John Carlson posted this 10 May 2015

Motor oil? That stuff's like $3.00 a quart or about 10 cents an ounce while RCBS case lube is $2.00 an ounce. Doesn't that mean the case lube is about 20 times better? :P

John Carlson. CBA Director of Military Competition.

Attached Files

Brodie posted this 10 May 2015

NO!  It means that Case Lube is about 6.666666666666 times more expensive.  Higher cost doesn't make it any better. Brodie

B.E.Brickey

Attached Files

Close