Shotgun choke

• 1.4K Views
  • Last Post 02 April 2015
bandmiller2 posted this 01 April 2015

Shotgun chokes are hard to figure I have a 20 ga. Remington fixed choke 28” barrel with .013 constriction which should be a very light modified. Patterned it today 75% at 40yds with 1oz #7 1/2. Dang was hoping it would be light mod. I must try other shot sizes and components. Can you get post wads in 20ga.?? Frank C.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Brodie posted this 01 April 2015

Bandmiller2, Shotgun chokes and how they pattern are a mystery to me.  I have a Ithica 20 ga. choked improved cylinder that whacks jack rabbits at 50 and 60 yds with great regularity shooting 7/8oz of 7.5's.  There are a couple of things you can do to open the pattern: 1 up the powder charge to a higher  velocity (as long as it is in the loading manual). I have found that as the speed goes up the pattern often widens or disperses more.  2. Place a X shaped wad inside the wad cup before shot is added.  This usually disperses shot much quicker than the regular choke would.

I am not going to suggest opening or relieving the choke constriction.  As long as the shot prints evenly I am happy as a clam.  Dense pattern are a key to shotgun success.  They can be hard on game at close range though.  That Ithica I mentioned throws nice dense even patterns all the way to 40 yds (my limit to pattern it) and has worked like a dream on pheasants.  The lack of weight makes it hard to maintain your swing though. Brodie

B.E.Brickey

Attached Files

bandmiller2 posted this 02 April 2015

Brodie, thanks for your comments. I have another barrel that skeet#1 that fits that same gun. I love the older Remington fixed choke barrels their so light and responsive, the new ones with screw ins handle like Shelby tube. I'll try different loads in fact I may go back to card and filler wads. I like to sneak up on snipe some shots close some at a distance. Use the card wads close and the one piece wads when there yonder. Frank C.

Attached Files

Brodie posted this 02 April 2015

Sounds like a plan, but how are you going to be sure how far away the bird will rise?

B.E.Brickey

Attached Files

bandmiller2 posted this 02 April 2015

Your never sure mate, but usually they flush fairly close giving you a shot then they circle overhead at a much greater range. Frank C.

Attached Files

Close