Storing Cast Bullets

• 2.4K Views
  • Last Post 04 July 2016
Chicken Men posted this 01 April 2015

Seems I spend more time casting these days than actually shooting what I cast.  Some of that is if we get too much rain, I can't safely drive back to my secluded shooting range. I use these Speer and CCI trays from .40 and .45 ammo.  This keeps the lube from being disturbed.  These work well for most of the calibers I shoot.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes

If I gonna store the bullets for a few months/years, pack them seald up like this.  The plastic I buy in large rolls on about 10 different sizes.  We have these bag seales in a few stations at the warehouse where I cast.

Sometimes I don't size & lube them.  Just bag them up in bulk like this.  These are some hollow base .45 cal.  I quit using glass jars after I has a few get broken. All the best! Bruce

Dirtybore posted this 02 July 2016

What is the reason for such nicely packaging just for storage? I just put my bullets in used bullet boxes, say Hornady, Speer, or Sierra, put a label on it and stuff it on the shelf.  What's the big deal?  As long as the size, mould no. and bullet wt. and it's heat treatment type is on the label, what else is needed? Your packaging is nice but just dumping them in a box utilizes used boxes rather than fancy packaging. What am I missing here?

Attached Files

highstandard40 posted this 02 July 2016

I can't speak for Chicken Men, but as far as myself, I don't bulk package lubed bullets in a box either. I use a soft tacky lube and if I were to bulk pack, the noses and corners of bullets contacting the lube groove of other bullets would damage or in some instances remove the lube from the lube groove. Also I would end up with bullet noses with a dab of lube on them which would gum up my loading dies if not removed first. If you use a hard lube these problems are negated to some extent but I never had any luck with hard lubes.

Attached Files

Pentz posted this 02 July 2016

.40 caliber styrofoam trays for my lubed PB bullets, free from the range trash can. The 9mm hard plastic Blazer trays are perfect for my .30 checked and lubed bullets, also free from the trash can. Labels? Blue painter's tape and permanent marker. Low tech here....

Attached Files

Westhoff posted this 02 July 2016

Since I got too old and shaky to compete at bullseye pistol, almost all my casting is .30 cal. rifle bullets (issue military and production rifle). I don't lube until I'm ready to load, so having the bullets touch one another in storage is never a problem. I keep cast .30 cal. bullets in the plastic boxes 100 .22 rimfire ammo is sold in. A piece of masking tape on the sliding top piece (cover) on the box shows bullet type, alloy, casting date, weight, and in the case of 2 cavity molds, which cavity they came from. Works pretty well, and helps keep things a little neater. (Need all the help I can get in that area.)

Attached Files

highstandard40 posted this 02 July 2016

Westhoff.........I do the same as you and don't size and lube until I'm ready to load. Most of my cast bullet shooting is handgun silhouette with 3 different 7MM handguns. Each has to be sized differently for best accuracy. Sizing as I need them works best for me.

Attached Files

Dale53 posted this 03 July 2016

I cast in reasonable quantity (generally do 20 lbs. of finished bullets at each sitting.

I size and lube them and put them in plastic boxes that I buy on sale for a buck or so apiece (Dollar store, etc).

Here is a picture of one: http://s269.photobucket.com/user/Dale53/media/BulletBoxes-3722.jpg.html>

Attached Files

John Carlson posted this 03 July 2016

I made these from 1/2” plexiglass though I have used other materials and it really shouldn't matter.  Strips are 2” wide by 11 or 12” long.  I drill 21/64” holes 1/2” apart just short of all the way through.  I've not seen any evidence of lube “sagging” out of the grooves and it is prevented from contaminating the noses.  Probably not great for large volume operators but it works for me.

John Carlson. CBA Director of Military Competition.

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 03 July 2016

I use 9mm cartridge box inserts for storing sized and lubed .30 through .35 bullets and .45 ACP box inserts for .44 and. 45, get them free at the range. Cheap bastard.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

R. Dupraz posted this 03 July 2016

What Ed said. Courtesy of Uncle Sam once a year. Trash cans are full of them. 

Attached Files

creeker posted this 04 July 2016

Enjoy the pictures & like your storage ways. Normally I use bins though I do use boxes at times.

http://s66.photobucket.com/user/Creekerpics/media/Loading%20Room%20101/Bullets/45-260-K/DSC02212.jpg.html>http://s66.photobucket.com/user/Creekerpics/media/Loading%20Room%20101/Bullets/41-230-K/DSC04323.jpg.html>http://s66.photobucket.com/user/Creekerpics/media/Loading%20Room%20101/Bullets/Picture456.jpg.html>

Lynn Halstead

Attached Files

Close