bore cleaning

• 3.5K Views
  • Last Post 06 July 2015
bandmiller2 posted this 02 April 2015

Any time I fire a shotgun or rifle I clean it. Shotguns I take a 3/8” wooden dowel and twist a bob of 0000 steel wool on the end, this is turned with a 3/8 drill motor. It not only cleans everything out but seems to burnish the bore. Then a patch with your favorite snake oil, wipe the outside and done. Frank C.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
6pt-sika posted this 02 April 2015

I am not putting steel wool inside any of mine . If you wanna scour the bore in a somewhat safer fashion use plain old brake cleaner that stuff will take out all the lead plastic and powder deposits !

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 02 April 2015

For shotguns I've always used Ed's Red onone of the Brownell's wool mops, dip, wet stroke ten times, then one wet patch of ER to flush out the loosened crud, then one dry patch to remove ghe excess ER, leaving the borw protected. Never needed to brush a shotgun with this method.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

jaguarxk120 posted this 13 April 2015

With the current crop of guns bein made today the steel wool treatment is used because of rough chambers.

And the shooters are using cheap shells (value-packs) that will eject properly.

I generally do what Ed does, sometimes a bronze brush for plastic wad fouling, but almost never with a brush.

Attached Files

bandmiller2 posted this 14 April 2015

Four “O” steel wool is as fine as frogs hairs and will not damage any bore in fact it improves them. If a fella is nervous use it once in a wile to remove the plastic rubbings. Frank C.

Attached Files

mtgrs737 posted this 04 July 2015

I shoot a lot of shotshells and the quickest and easiest way to clean the plastic wad residue out of the bore is to use a bore snake. However for the bore snake to work well you must clean the bore while it is still hot from firing. If you wait till it cools down then the plastic fouling will be difficult to remove and require the solvents that others here have described. I use a 10 ga. bore snake in my 12 ga. bore.

Attached Files

gnoahhh posted this 05 July 2015

...right up until you get one stuck in the bore. Saw it happen twice, and they required much swearing and gnashing of teeth to remove. I deep-sixed the couple of Boresnakes I had.

I made the mistake of buying a bottle of Brownell's shotgun bore solvent. I swear it was Ed's Red. I follow Ed's routine for bore cleaning too. Rarely do I need to take a brush to a bore.

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 06 July 2015

me too roger that on using 4x steel wool if you need it ... followed by 2 or 3 patches with ER or similar light oil .

Attached Files

Close