Ithaca mag. 10

• 2.8K Views
  • Last Post 10 May 2015
bandmiller2 posted this 03 April 2015

Back in the eighties I had a fed. lic. and did part time gunsmithing. Ithaca was in trouble and sold their mag. 10 roadblocker cheap with a lousy sprayed on camo. They had a 21” barrel designed for law enforcement. Sent the barrel off to Jess Briley to install his long tube choke system. The mag 10's had their problems,I turned them into a cottage industry slicking them up and adding the Wolf spring kit, brownells sold. It was quite the duck hammer, gone now, too old to haul that field piece through the marsh. Frank C.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
6pt-sika posted this 03 April 2015

In 1989 when Remington brought out their version of the Ithaca Mag-10 the SP-10 I got one with 26” barrel and of course screw ins . The gun shot very well . I had originally bought it for turkey . I kept it a few years and away it went . Couple years back I got it in my head I wanted an Ithaca Mag-10 and ended up with both a Field Grade and a Deluxe Grade . Both of them were 32” full choke . They have since left my possision as well .  Tried a Browning BPS 10 gauge with 28” Invector barrel as well . That one with an IC choke was deadly with buckshot and slugs . I suppose the only thing left for me to try in the 10 gauge 3 1/2” is a Browning Gold . Had thoughts a couple months ago to get a Spanish double we had that was a 10 gauge 3 1/2” but that thing felt like carrying a 4x6 beam !

Attached Files

bandmiller2 posted this 03 April 2015

The Spanish 3 1/2” 10 ga. double I hunted with for many years felt the same way. I put some lead behind the butt plate it added weight but greatly improved handling. Frank C.

Attached Files

admiral posted this 04 April 2015

I have a Mag 10 supreme grade with 26” barrel. It's heavy but oh the wood!

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 04 April 2015

admiral wrote: I have a Mag 10 supreme grade with 26” barrel. It's heavy but oh the wood!
I know what you mean ! I kinda want to get one again . But I also think I'd like another SP-10 26” with factory screw ins or as I said earlier a Browning Gold .   But then I sit back and think about the old American and English side by sides for the 2 7/8” shells and I honestly don't see why they can't do anything I would ever want . Now with that being said if I was ever to find an Ithaca NID Magnum 10 for a steal I'd have to pick it up . I have an Ithaca NID Super 10 for the 2 7/8” shells that I like a good bit , but one of those 3 1/2” guns would be nice for nothing else then the collector value . I would however like to pick one of them up and see how it felt . My 1884 Parker top lever hammer gun that's a 10 weighs about 10 pounds but it's lively in my hands , my Ithaca Super 10 is a touch lighter but not as lively . I truly do not care for a gun that for lack of a better term “feels dead in my hands” . I always thought I'd like a double rifle or two until I handled some , the weight of those guns I find almost offensive and of course I understand you need it or they'd beat the fire out of you ! One of these days I'll find a way to pony up the scratch to get a Parker 8 gauge . I suspect I'll find them a touch heavy , but if the gun balances well I can deal with it .

Attached Files

admiral posted this 08 April 2015

I can't imagine what constitutes “a steal” on a NID magnum 10. sign me up though!

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 08 April 2015

admiral wrote: I can't imagine what constitutes “a steal” on a NID magnum 10. sign me up though! In my opinion a NID MAG 10 in 80% or better cpndition would be a steal if it could be got for $2500 or less .

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 04 May 2015

FWIW , Parker made a few marked 10 gauge 3 1/2” magnum guns . I know of a couple in private collections and both are VH or VHE can't remember which . But I do not think they can be purchased for love or money .

Attached Files

admiral posted this 10 May 2015

I agree that $2500 or less for an 80% NID magnum 10 is a great price. I would be all over that. Parker's? I personally think they are waaayyyy over priced but it doesn't matter anyway. They might as well be Westley Richards or H&H bespoke guns that I can't afford. As far as I'm concerned a 10ga. and a 16ga. are all I need.

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 10 May 2015

Admiral , got your PM and will do .

Attached Files

Close