Reloading steel

• 1.2K Views
  • Last Post 13 April 2015
bandmiller2 posted this 10 April 2015

Any of you guys loading steel shot.?? I haven't for years but are getting back into it. I'am not a big time duck slayer but the ones I've shot with steel acted like they were pole axed. Nice full patterns are easy to come by. I used to load steel mostly for my 3 1/2” 10 ga. now just 2 3/4 &3” 12. My old 10 liked BB size shot but that's quite a mouthful for a 12. When there were steel shot shortages I would anneal BB air rifle shot, I could get it softer than factory shot. I still have over a 1000 of the old MEC steel wads, waiting for a BP manual to try to find some loads using Alliant steel powder. Any pet loads you like Thanks. Frank C.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
JSH posted this 11 April 2015

I shoot less than a case a year. I reloaded some and found it was cheaper to buy than reload. So I sold all of my reloading gear for steel. The steel shot has come a long long way from the 80's. I use my 835 and SBE both 3.5 guns. Some say the 3.5 is not needed. To eachs own. As to shot size. I did the old go up one or two sizes from what you liked in steel. I was still getting a lot of lost birds. Tried all the way to T and F for geese. Patterns were not good. Went to BB and use it on everything but early teal season.
My choice is WW expert or kent fast steel. FYI your mileage may vary, black cloud is just plumb mean on ducks and geese. I was loaned some 2s and they really swatted them hard. Patterns were tight and the pellets sure will make a mess of the birds if they are in close. Jeff

Attached Files

Duke M posted this 13 April 2015

I have three seasons of reloading steel experience. I am using data from Lightning Steel loads. I use throw away 2 3/4” hulls, STEEL powder, 7/8, 15/16, and 1 oz. shot charges and 1,600 to 1,700 fps velocity, mostly #3 shot. I no longer miss my old lead HV 1 3/8 of Lawrence hard 4's loads. These new HV steel loads kill cleanly.

Attached Files

Close