My new Mystery Mold

• 2.1K Views
  • Last Post 21 April 2015
frnkeore posted this 19 April 2015

I just got this mold. It's a copy of a Pope 311403. I haven't cast with it so, I don't know if it has the large base band but, it's marked .309 V or X 301 E, with a electric pensile. What I'm most interested in is, who made this fine mold. It's has excellent craftmanship. The mold cavity has a excellent finish and who ever made it, used a shoulder bolt for the pivit and a 10x24 button head for the stop. The sprue plate could have been thicker as, it's only .110 but, the bullet side is ground. The sprue plate is stamped out, to me, that saying, he intended to make a lot of them.   They are 1.500 x 1.375 x 1.490 long. The width between the mold handle cut, is quite wide @ .870. I have a lot of different mold blocks but, none measure as these do. With the width inside, where the mold handles go , a 60 caliber mold could be easily done.Any ideas? Frank

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes

Markings

Attached Files

Sprue plate

Attached Files

358156hp posted this 19 April 2015

I've seen these moulds before. There was one on ebay in a package deal, and another on CB. They're driving me crazy, if you find out who made it would you please let us know?

Attached Files

I bought this one from the guy that posted it on CB. I bought it because it was made so well.

Frank

Attached Files

358156hp posted this 19 April 2015

They seem to be beautifully made. The one on ebay was being sold as a Lyman, which I knew was wrong.

Attached Files

frnkeore posted this 21 April 2015

Well, i did find out the answer on the ASSRA forum.

This mold was made by Jim Andela. I don't know if he's still making molds though.

He took over the cherry's that Bud Welch had from his mold making.

All in all, it's a great find :)

Frank

Attached Files

Close