Lee TL309-230-5R

• 3.7K Views
  • Last Post 21 June 2019
gpidaho posted this 05 May 2015

I shot the TL309-230-5R Three different ways today in ten shot strings out of my 308Win Handi rifle. All contained 23gr. RL7 and used CCI 200 primers. The first ten were lubed with 45-45-10 and sized .309 max. COL. None hit a 8"X 11” target at 65yrds. Next group of ten were the same but had a gas check stuck on the boat tail (yes they fit on there) These shot into a 5” pattern.  Next up were ten Powder coated and gas checked sized .311. The added girth on the noses made these show a slight resistance on closing the action and the .311 size has always worked better in this rifle than .309 so to be fair I think in this instance it's most likely the added girth that helped these fly into a 2.5” group. No problems with stability, all that hit the target cut nice round holes.  I'm going to give this bullet a try in Lori's Blackout and maybe my 03  30-06, but for now I'm not very impressed with this boat tail cast bullet.  Oh, and the loads without gas checks had a lot of burnt powder on the outside of the necks like you get firing light loads in a revolver.  Chip in and let me know if your having better luck with this bullet.  GP

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Brodie posted this 06 May 2015

GPIdaho, I have the mold, but I haven't cast any with it yet. From what you have reported it just proves the axium:” Cast the bullet to fit the throat for best accuracy. “.  That little bit of resistance you feel when you close the action just firmly seats the bullet in the throat of the chamber and keeps it from wobbling around and getting started wrong into the rifling. \ Good luck with your further endeavors with that artilary projectile you have there.  I bought the mold to try in my 3040 Krag sporter, as the origional load for that rifle was with a 230 gr bullet.  Brodie

B.E.Brickey

Attached Files

gpidaho posted this 06 May 2015

Old Coot, Hello Brodie. Thanks for your comment, I'll look forward to your report and how this bullet works in your Krag. You are right that it looms rather large. It's too tall to fit in my Saeco lube sizer, which is just as well because it drops small in diameter for my 30cal. needs anyway regardless of alloy or casting temp. As posted by cast367, sometimes you have to wonder just what application Lee Precision envisioned when they designed the mould. I'm in no way a Lee basher, some of my favorite tools are made by Lee but they do toss some junk out there on occasion. Enjoy the day GP

Attached Files

Clod Hopper posted this 20 June 2019

Does anybody have a load that will push the AR-15 bolt back enough to chamber the next cartridge?  I am suing IMR 4227 and at 14 grain, the case is full and the bullet deformed.  It will not cycle.  Bullet cast from WW, a little tin and unsized and no gas check.  I am going to try backward next, which means a major adjustment to the seater die.

Dale M. Lock

Attached Files

Clod Hopper posted this 21 June 2019

I am not suing IMR 4227, but using it.  I wonder if a slower powder like IMR 4198 would work, or maybe go the other way with TItegroup?

Dale M. Lock

Attached Files

gpidaho posted this 21 June 2019

In the four years since my posts on this bullet I've tried it in several 30 Cal. bolt guns and single shots. The best result so far has been from my daughters 300 Blackout Handi rifle using AA1680 powder. It also works reasonably in my AR15 Blackout upper and is the only round I still load using this bullet. I believe this is the intended purpose of the TL309-230-5R as you need to fill the long throats of the 300 and the heavy weight makes for more reliable cycling. In summary, the TL309-230-5R drops from my mould with too small of a nose diameter for most of my 30 Cal. needs and is always powder coated to gain a bit of girth.  I've found other bullets that work better for me in my guns and for the Blackout, I've moved on to the Noe 311-214-FN-CAS. Gp

Attached Files

Close