45-70 cast bullet pistol loads

• 2K Views
  • Last Post 19 June 2015
Ralph Smalley posted this 26 May 2015

Hello; Anyone have any pet loads they would share? I'm thinking 350 grain, or lower, if possible. So I can practice less painfully. Also, anyone ever try the new Hornady 250gr. MFX bullet? Thanks All, Ralph

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
onondaga posted this 26 May 2015

http://castbulletassoc.org/view_user.php?id=186>Ralph Smalley

An IMR Trailboss load is right where you want to go with your goal.

Attached Files

Ralph Smalley posted this 26 May 2015

I'm gonna play around with it after I get some savage 30-30 loads workin. I also want to get my chrony refurbed- it's one of the real old ones with cardboard windows and plastic sky screens (which are brittle and breaking up).

Attached Files

Tuner posted this 28 May 2015

I just started reloading for my MGM 45-70 Contender barrel using a Lee 340 grain cast bullet. Using wheel weights with 2% tin air cooled I started out with 12, 13, 14, and 15 grains of Unique and they were an absolute fun load to shoot, just a nice push. My best load of the bunch was 13 grains which gave me about 1.5 inches at 50 yards but this was my first time out and I have a lot of testing to do. I have loaded up some hotter, but not over the top, loads with IMR3031 but have not had the opportunity to shoot them yet. My intent is not to stretch the frame, but have a fun gun to shoot and perhaps take a deer or hog with it in the future. I feel that any load out of a 45-70 that is accurate will do fine on either. Good luck in you load hunt.

Attached Files

Ralph Smalley posted this 29 May 2015

Thanks Turner. I have some unique, so I'll give it a shot.

Ralph

Attached Files

Ralph Smalley posted this 29 May 2015

After I try some of the Trailboss

Ralph

Attached Files

Tuner posted this 19 June 2015

Had to opportunity to shoot the 3031 loads I mentioned in post #4 (49 gr. 3031 under a Lee 340 gr. cast bullet) this past weekend. While not close to a max load it did generate a sufficient level of excitement when the hammer fell. I did notice that there was a good amount of unburned powder in the barrel and some remaining in the case probably indicating that a heavier bullet or magnum primer is in order; groups were about 3.5 inches at 50 yds., marginal. I did have some leftover 13 grain unique loads which shot an acceptable 2 inch 8 shot group but I expect to get better.

I did an inventory of my powder stock and see I have some 4227, 4198 and H322 all of which have been recommended for the 45-70. I believe I will try / shoot up the 4198 next and see how that works.

Attached Files

Close