Mould venting

• 1.2K Views
  • Last Post 20 June 2015
gpidaho posted this 19 June 2015

Hello all:  Yesterday I took delivery of two more Lee moulds, C309-120-R and C324-175-1R both have the new curly vent lines between the blocks and under the sprue plate. I've never had a mould, Lee or other that I thought had vent problems but my commonly used alloy seems to want to air bubble back up through the sprue hole with these two.  Also I guess Lee got tired of hearing about their moulds dropping small because the C309 drops 313 the C324 is pretty close as called.  Maybe Lee uses it's own plastic calipers to take measurements.  I think I'm going to stop being falsely frugal and get future moulds from Swede at NOE.   And  no Gary I'm not a Lee basher, some of my favorite tools are Lee (think collet dies,  sizing and crimp)  and some of the worst (think perfect powder measure)  I'm just venting unlike my two new moulds.  GP

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
onondaga posted this 20 June 2015

http://castbulletassoc.org/view_user.php?id=8045>gpidaho Take a look for some of my posts on “swirl casting” I use that method all the time and it completely negates the need for any venting. I like the new CNC block flats from Lee. They work for me.

Gary

Attached Files

gpidaho posted this 20 June 2015

Gary: I'm familiar with the swirl cast method. I've just never come up against this problem before. I probably should give it more of a chance before I b**ch. It's just that the last three Lee moulds I've bought have been all over the place, large, small, light, heavy anything but right. I'll give it more of a chance next time before posting negativity. I do have a couple of Lee moulds I would hate to part with and the twenty or so I own have served me well enough. Just bad luck lately. I'm over it. GP

Attached Files

Close