working with the .220 Swift

• 1.3K Views
  • Last Post 10 July 2015
billglaze posted this 09 July 2015

Just a little note:  I won't be posting every little thing I try, unless I have some startling breakthrough.  And, I agree with Joe Brennan, I don't expect big results from little changes. I loaded up 5 gr. Red Dot, (my new found go-to powder for lead bullets) and using the Lyman 225415 bullet, 10 went into 2” at 100 yards; knock off one bad one, and the resulting 9 were in 1-1/2".  Avg. Vel. 1568, E.S. 43, S.D. 15. 5 gr. Titegroup (also looking to be a great lead bullet powder) was at 1-3/4 for all 10, with 2 high that, if ignored, made the group 1-1/2 also.  However, I'm not ignoring any shots; the higher numbers stand.  Nothing to brag about either way, but a beginning.  Avg. Vel. 1618, E.S. 33, S.D. 10. All holes looked as if they had been cut with a paper punch, no sign of tipping, no serious flyers.  (I mean those shots that take off for 4” that make you go “Oh, darn."  Or something like it. Bill BHN: 11, as cast Wh. Wts. no H.T.

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is. My fate is not entirely in Gods hands, if I have a weapon in mine.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
gpidaho posted this 10 July 2015

Bill: The more I use TiteGroup the more I like it! Saw 4lbs. today at LGS for under $80. Most H powders were on the shelf, even the 5lb. Trail Boss was just $88 good to see some fast powder again. GP

Attached Files

John Alexander posted this 10 July 2015

Bill, Excellent start. More evidence that you don't have a full case to get decent results.

I worked a long time with an light weight Sako that would average about 1moa with JBs. 225414 was my best bullet and an honest average for four consecutive 5 shot groups was around 1.5moa. I never got much below that. The equivalent of that for 10 shot groups would be about 1.95 moa or about what you are doing already.  If you get much better than that I am going to have to try those short bullets again.  That must be a good Swift.

For perspective a 30 caliber bullet with similar sectional density would weight about 85grains.  I have never seen anybody shoot that weight of 30 caliber CB (or JB for that matter) that accurately. 

John

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 10 July 2015

i just remembered ... 22 rf. shoot 40 gr. ( bc of 0.1 ) into 1/2 moa ...

everything about those are wrong ...

logically it looks like we are doing too many things RIGHT ... with our cast approach

just funnin ya guys ...

ken

Attached Files

John Alexander posted this 10 July 2015

Ken, You are right Ken those pesky rim fires can shoot extra good.  We are relying on you to figure out how to apply the 22 rf secrets to cast bullets.  Any news on that project? John

Attached Files

Close