Question for Ed Harris on Lee Liquid Alox (or others)

• 2.3K Views
  • Last Post 20 July 2015
Jackpine posted this 17 July 2015

When most people talk about how much LLA or Alox or 45-45-10 they apply, the amount is listed as a “generous squirt” or “enough to coat” or some other less than specific amount.  I have developed a measuring method that I use, based on bullet weight and planned velocity and I was glad to see Ed list a specific amount in his answer.  My question is; does the four ounces refer to four ounces of lube and then an addition four ounces of mineral spirits or four ounces total of the mixed liquid?   By the way Ed, I have always considered my self “frugal” and am pround to spell it C-H-E-A-P!!!!!   Thanks, Jackpine

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Ed Harris posted this 17 July 2015

4 ozs of the diluted mix! Try half as much first, agitate to distribute a light coat, then repeat, is better than adding all a once.:taz:

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • David R.
Jackpine posted this 17 July 2015

Thanks Ed. The example you gave was for 44 and 45 pistol bullets. Would you change the amount used if you were lubing 30 caliber rifle or 45 caiber 500 grain rifle bullets that were going to be loaded in the 1400 to 1800 fps range.

Thanks again,

Jackpine

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 18 July 2015

My experience has been that multiple coating, of very thin layers, are more effective that one thick coating. FWIW, Ric

Attached Files

Jackpine posted this 18 July 2015

Ric,

Do you think that is because there is greater uniformity or ? And “thin layers” means how much with each layer and how many layers?

Jackpine

ps Have you made any progress with the Pacific lubesizer?

Attached Files

Back when LLA was new and I was shooting 44 mag super Blackhawks, must 40 years now, thick coated bullets would leave so much residue in the cylinder, it was hard to reload. I used acetone for a thinner because it dried faster. Three washes would leave just a light yellow hard waxy coat. It was a case of less is more.

We are having record heat out here in the high desert and my shop is 100+ by 8 AM, so only highest priority jobs are getting done. Pacific will have to wait a while.

Attached Files

John Alexander posted this 18 July 2015

I apparently missed something on a previous thread.  For what bullets and how many does either a “generous squirt” or 4 oz. apply?

i seldom tumble over 150 22 caliber 70 - 80 grain bullets at a time but have been using a LOT less than that. I don't get leading but my thin coat may be the reason they don't seem to shoot quite as well as when lubed conventionally.

Is there some easy way to quantify the best amount in relation to maybe bullet weight and number, or maybe just total weight of bullets and amount needed?

A more accurate but still rough measure of the area to be coated could be caliber squared X length X number of bullets but i doubt that that refinement is needed. John   

Attached Files

Jackpine posted this 18 July 2015

John,

I should have been more clear in my first posting, but was assuming folks had read the latest issue of Fouling Shot. In the article, Ed talked about lubing 1000 45 acp bullets, using four ounces of LLA. In most things I see about people using LLA, they are very general in referring to the amount they use.

I have usually done fairly small batches of 50 to 250 bullets and have my own “formula” for how many teaspoons to use based on the weight of the bullets and planned velocity, but have never been sure if I was still using too much. Ed's was the first time I had seen measured amount for a specific number of bullets.

I have always assumed that if I was loading the same bullet in two loadings of 1000 fps and 1600 fps, I would need more lube on the higher velocity loading and am looking for input from others who have experience, and not simply an opinion or guess.

Jackpine

Attached Files

Jackpine and John,

I used about one tablespoon of LLA (and two tablespoons of acetone) in a 1/2 gallon plastic tub for a light coat. If it drips down the bullet it is too thick. My 44 mag loads were Keith's old 22 grains of 2400 with the '421 bullet from 1970's WW.

HTH's, Ric

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 20 July 2015

Jackpine wrote: Thanks Ed. The example you gave was for 44 and 45 pistol bullets. Would you change the amount used if you were lubing 30 caliber rifle or 45 caiber 500 grain rifle bullets that were going to be loaded in the 1400 to 1800 fps range.

Thanks again,

Jackpine Half that amount should be adequate for .38 wadcutters or .30 cal. rifle bullets. I would try the normal amount described for the .45 rifle bullets and see how they look.The 4 oz. amount is really for the initial use of the agitating ammo can or container, because  the lube will coat the inside of the container too.  Once this is accomplished the half amount is usually adequate, as the bullets will pick up some of the hardened lube left inside the can and with each repeat application you are just renewing the interior container coating and maintaining it in a steady-state condition.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

Close