New Lee Mold 358-200-RF

• 4.1K Views
  • Last Post 03 August 2015
oscarflytyer posted this 30 July 2015

Just found this!  It is a basic copy of the RCBS 35-200 GC mold.  It is NOT listed on the Lee site.  I have looked for it/any suitable 35 Remington mold from Lee for a long time.  Found a link to this one on another site.  I ordered one!  What I have been looking for for a LONG time, and not have to shell out nearly $100 for an RCBS, etc - and I screwed up and missed Ranch Dog's molds before he got out of the business - dang it!

https://fsreloading.com/lee-precision-double-cavity-bullet-mold-358-200-rf-90449.html

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
highstandard40 posted this 31 July 2015

It is listed on the Lee site. On the home page, click on “2015 new products".

Here it is http://leeprecision.com/mold-dc-c358-200-rf.html

Attached Files

oscarflytyer posted this 31 July 2015

highstandard40 wrote: It is listed on the Lee site. On the home page, click on “2015 new products".

Here it is http://leeprecision.com/mold-dc-c358-200-rf.html>http://leeprecision.com/mold-dc-c358-200-rf.htmlLOL!  OK.  Crappy website then...  I always just looked at the PDF of all the available molds and never listed there.  Old saying, can't find it if you don't know to look for it!  Oh well - found it and ordered one!

Attached Files

Please let us know how it works. I would consider one of these but I already have the RCBS and also a clone of it from Accurate Molds. The lee illustration looks fairly faithful to the RCBS except for the lube groove. Once you get it up and running, I'd appreciate some info on the resulting bullets measurements.

Attached Files

oscarflytyer posted this 31 July 2015

Will do my best.  Prob is it will be a bit on the low priority list.  I have WAY too many projects going.  Still need to get the Glenfield 30 rebored to 38-55 and cast and load and shoot it!  Not to mention the 45-70 with RD 350 mold...  Dang it, way too much and not enough time.  AND lost the (albeit short) range that was real close to me.  Sucks...

Attached Files

pondercat posted this 31 July 2015

I just got that very mold yesterday and cast about 100 bullets last night! I ordered it last week from Titan along with a Lee 22 caliber mold. Both of those molds cast beautiful bullets. The alloy I am using (10% pure lead to 90% WW) cast the 358 at 203-207 grains. I'll see if I can post some pics in a little while. There is a surprising amount of information on loading those in both .357 mag and .38 special. I have a .356 GNR I plan on developing a load for as well as the .357/.38.   

Like Oscarflytyer I have way too many projects going and just keep adding to the list. Way too much fun!!!

Terry

Attached Files

Here's another picture showing the .358 200 seated in .357 and .38 special brass.

Attached Files

Hi again.Just thought I'd post a picture showing a comparison between the .356 GNR and .357 mag. These are seated to just about absolute maximum cartridge length (1.658")for my pistol - New Model Ruger Blackhawk 6 1/2” barrel. Terry

Attached Files

Can you measure the body diameter of the 35 and the diameter of the nose just ahead of the top drive band? Inquiring minds want to know. Thanks.

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 31 July 2015

pondercat wrote: I just got that very mold yesterday and cast about 100 bullets last night! I ordered it last week from Titan along with a Lee 22 caliber mold. Both of those molds cast beautiful bullets. The alloy I am using (10% pure lead to 90% WW) cast the 358 at 203-207 grains. I'll see if I can post some pics in a little while. There is a surprising amount of information on loading those in both .357 mag and .38 special. I have a .356 GNR I plan on developing a load for as well as the .357/.38.   

Like Oscarflytyer I have way too many projects going and just keep adding to the list. Way too much fun!!! Lee makes a .22 mold?

Attached Files

tturner53 wrote: pondercat wrote: I just got that very mold yesterday and cast about 100 bullets last night! I ordered it last week from Titan along with a Lee 22 caliber mold. Both of those molds cast beautiful bullets. The alloy I am using (10% pure lead to 90% WW) cast the 358 at 203-207 grains. I'll see if I can post some pics in a little while. There is a surprising amount of information on loading those in both .357 mag and .38 special. I have a .356 GNR I plan on developing a load for as well as the .357/.38.   

Like Oscarflytyer I have way too many projects going and just keep adding to the list. Way too much fun!!! Lee makes a .22 mold?Lee makes two different 22 molds. The most recent can be seen here   http://leeprecision.com/mold-dc-c225-55-rf.html>http://leeprecision.com/mold-dc-c225-55-rf.html    It is a 55 grain offering and is designed similarly to the RCBS of equal weight. For some time now they have also been making a 22 design they call the “Bator". My understanding is that the later is a special run mold. I see it available from time to time.

Attached Files

pondercat posted this 01 August 2015

highstandard40 wrote: Can you measure the body diameter of the 35 and the diameter of the nose just ahead of the top drive band? Inquiring minds want to know. Thanks.

I will do that as soon as I get home from work this evening! Terry

OK I'm home from work and the measurements are: The .358 bullet body  is .3595 as cast with my alloy, the nose diameter just above the band is .351 almost .3515, the bottom of the crimp groove has those same measurements. The lube groove is .329, the gas check is .3465, and the OAL is .8275. The .225  bullet body is .2265 as cast, the nose just above the band is .221, the lube groove is .205, the gas check is .219, the OAL is .589 and that little bullet drops at an average weight of 57 grains with the same alloy used in the .358. The alloy is 10% pure lead to 90% wheel weights.

Attached Files

pondercat posted this 01 August 2015

highstandard40 wrote: tturner53 wrote: pondercat wrote: I just got that very mold yesterday and cast about 100 bullets last night! I ordered it last week from Titan along with a Lee 22 caliber mold. Both of those molds cast beautiful bullets. The alloy I am using (10% pure lead to 90% WW) cast the 358 at 203-207 grains. I'll see if I can post some pics in a little while. There is a surprising amount of information on loading those in both .357 mag and .38 special. I have a .356 GNR I plan on developing a load for as well as the .357/.38.   

Like Oscarflytyer I have way too many projects going and just keep adding to the list. Way too much fun!!! Lee makes a .22 mold?Lee makes two different 22 molds. The most recent can be seen here   http://leeprecision.com/mold-dc-c225-55-rf.html>http://leeprecision.com/mold-dc-c225-55-rf.html    It is a 55 grain offering and is designed similarly to the RCBS of equal weight. For some time now they have also been making a 22 design they call the “Bator". My understanding is that the later is a special run mold. I see it available from time to time. I should have identified the mold for that .22.  Sorry about that.  It is the c225-55-rf and the bullet is pictured in the first image above. Terry

Attached Files

highstandard40 posted this 01 August 2015

Thanks pondercat.

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 02 August 2015

I have been looking for a 358 Winchester bullet. Most FN designs wont feed properly in my bolt action. This design looks promising.

Attached Files

TRKakaCatWhisperer posted this 03 August 2015

JHS wrote: I have been looking for a 358 Winchester bullet. Most FN designs wont feed properly in my bolt action. This design looks promising. This design, the rcbs 35-200 functions well in my Savage 99 (358win) and Marlin 336 in 35 remmington.

Shoots well too.

Attached Files

Close