New heavy .38 Specials from Accurate

• 1.5K Views
  • Last Post 10 August 2015
Ed Harris posted this 07 August 2015

http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=36-178D-D.png>Accurate 36-178D Adaptation of Modern Bond early Keith 1920s http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=36-201D-D.png>Accurate 36-201D .38 Special “Super Police” BIG meplat ogival wadcutter, 1.595” OAL in .38 Special brass

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
tturner53 posted this 07 August 2015

Now that's a bullet! I think it's a heck of a good design especially for a self defense load in an old M&P .38 Special or Victory Model. Now to raise the scratch to buy the mold. Been on a binge-four hand guns in a month! Creatively working around the 1 a month law. I wonder how this bullet will work in a Marlin 1894c .357? Also, why not just a 200 gr WC?

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 07 August 2015

tturner53 wrote: Now that's a bullet! I think it's a heck of a good design especially for a self defense load in an old M&P .38 Special or Victory Model. Now to raise the scratch to buy the mold. Been on a binge-four hand guns in a month! Creatively working around the 1 a month law. I wonder how this bullet will work in a Marlin 1894c .357? Also, why not just a 200 gr WC? I wanted to be able to seat the bullet out to maximize powder space, to keep pressures lower with the fast burning powders, and to enable loading a heavier charge of slower burners for .38/.44 loads and rifle use in BSA Martini also my break-open guns. Traditional wadcutter won't fit in rifle throat and will interfere with tight cylinder throats unless sized.  This profile with nose tolerance negative will enter tight cylinder throats and rifle barrels fine, but the forepart is of large enough diameter to be engraved by the lands for most of its length.  The ogival wadcutter design with slightly radiussed nose has a bit better ranging and stability than the traditional wadcutter beyond 50 yards or so.

The 36-178D version has a smaller .225 meplat which will feed well in the Marlin. I've been using the 36-155D of similar profile for a bit over a year now with very good results, and Giorgio has also been using that bullet in his cowboy guns and in a 9x21mm Colt M1911 clone. The 36-201D might be too blunt to feed in leverguns, but while not my original intent, I will try it in the Marlin when my mold arrives.  Inquiring minds will want to know.  I think Frank Marshall would have approved. My intended use for 201D is as a subsonic thumper for the .38 Special rook rifle with 3.5 grains of Bullseye.  That is a +P charge in a revolver, in an older Victory  Model I wouldn't go above 3 grains of Bullseye ~700 fps.  I plan to try some in my Ruger Police Service Six, Vaquero and Marlin 1894 Cowboy with the 3.5 grain Bullseye load in .38 Special, probably 750 fps revolver and 900 fps rifle, as well as a  .38/44 load of 9 grains of #2400 in .38 Special brass at 1.595” OAL at probably about 900 fps in a 4” revolver and guessing 1080+/- in a rifle.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 10 August 2015

Thanks for sharing this with us. I got to thinking, I just read a TFS article by Ric Bowman re. the 38/200. In it he used the NOE copy of a Ranch Dog 358-190 plain base, I think made by you. Bingo! I have that Ranch Dog 6 cavity mold. It's a 3x3 GC/PB combo. Considering how many .38s and .357s I'm supporting I'll try your Bullseye loads using this bullet before I spring for another mold. Crazy, I know. But the mold cabinet was full 20 years ago and I didn't stop there. Always just one more! Anyway. thanks again Ed for all the great load info you pass along. Also, how long is the 38-201D? I'm not seeing a length. My Ranch Dog's are .77".

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 10 August 2015

201D is 0.77” overall per the drawing

Attached Files

Close