Newbie Intro

• 1.3K Views
  • Last Post 10 August 2015
bigbore52 posted this 09 August 2015

Hello,

Would like to introduce myself to the forum so be gentle please :D

Am what you would consider an old fart from Australia - been shooting for almost 60 years - still to hit anything though  :cool:....have tinkered with casting over the journey and managed to survive this long without plumbum poisoning or serious maladies so reckon either I am extremely fortunate or know a few things - definitely the former as whenever I read forums such as this, realise how little I actually do know so am here to learn from people willing to impart the knowledge they have acquired over their journeys too. That's a truly wonderful thing not only to receive knowledge, but be a part of another persons learning process on whatever journey they make.   My hunting days are distant good memories shared with friends over red meat searing and one or three cold beverages - now with some mobility issues, can only concentrate on range shooting including working up various loads to shoot mainly BP - but not limited to that. If it goes bang, I'll have a go at it and try my hardest to get the best accuracy I can :P Any day spent shooting is a good day...

Having returned to casting in last couple of years I have seen the variety and quality of new tools and equipment available increase exponentially to accommodate what I used to call 'the black art' - plus having more spare time, can try and satisfy the curiosity as to what you can really do with these old rifles to honour their designers and former users and shoot decent groups with them like they did. So hope you don't mind me asking what may appear pretty basic questions at times..?

Have some metal working knowledge to allow me to use my lathes and tinker in the shed - am no gunsmith - but enjoy reading how others tackle problems or fix things that I would have no idea how to approach. I'm here to learn if that's OK and if I can share my limited skills and knowledge at the same time help others out then I would like to be a part of that. At the end of the day, I want to be able to say that load X in Gun Y works the best because I tried it...I can then happily pass that info on to the next generation in hope they get the same enjoyment out of their hobby as I have.

Thanks..............Bigbore52

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
onondaga posted this 09 August 2015

Bigbore52

Welcome, I bet you like it here.

Me too, casting and shooting 60 years and still learning. I am a retired precious and non-precious metals casting analyst.

Gary

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 09 August 2015

welcome to the group !! fresh insight is much needed and appreciated .

after a time here, you may discern that we have a list of some 40 things that don't make cast shoot bigger groups ... the interesting thing is that we so far have a very very short list of things that make cast shoot smaller groups ... we think ... ( g ) ...

oh, it looks as if a crocodile may have eaten whoever was supposed to be in your avatar window ( g ) .

ken

Attached Files

Brodie posted this 09 August 2015

Welcome Big Bore 52 it is good to have you aboard. A new and fresh perspective is always welcome. We always try to play nice (even if I manage to step on myself sometimes). Is that a crocodile or an aligator in your avatar. His nose looks awfully blunt for a croc. You'll find someone here who shoots just about every combination of weapon and lead bullet.

Like you I have been hunting for over 60 yrs and am looking at physical issues which may put a halt to it. Not a pleasant prospect. Brodie

B.E.Brickey

Attached Files

John Alexander posted this 09 August 2015

Welcome to the CBA forum bigbore52.

We have a lot of knowledgeable folks here who like to help and offer encouragement. We will also look forward to you answering some of our questions when we get stumped. You sound like a man with a wealth of experience and the right attitude.  I will look forward to your posts.   We have a standing offer for a couple of free issues of the Cast Bullet Association's journal “The Fouling Shot". if you are interested in taking a look just PM me your email address and I will send them right out -- no obligation or future bugging you.   John

Attached Files

bigbore52 posted this 09 August 2015

Thank you Gentlemen, a warm welcome indeed...much appreciated....the avatar is old Eric...he's a saltie taken from the wild in '06 because he had a penchant for the locals and was starting to become a nuisance so officially deemed “a risk to public safety” ....he was captured and now dwells in a croc farm in Darwin, fed and watered regularly, no threat of imminent demise and used for breeding purposes with numerous females as accompany...given all his circumstances as well as being deemed a risk to public safety, reckon his and my malfeasance in old age make us a fitting avatar indeed :cool:

• when I took his photo couple years back he was a few inches under 16' and about 500 kgs.....he's grown a tad portly in his retirement....again, just like me.....

Thanks again

Attached Files

pondercat posted this 10 August 2015

Howdy bigbores52 and welcome to the forum. I'm new here as well--about three weeks--and have already gleaned a lot of useful information from these guys.  I've been shooting since I could hold a gun (with a little help from dad) but only casting the last twenty or twenty five years.  In the time I've been on this forum I've discovered that I knew only the absolute basics of the craft, that casting and shooting your own bullets is truly an equal marriage of art and science and I've learned to approach it that way. The  posters on this forum have taught me that and my casting abilities have already improved dramatically thanks to that realization coupled with some very good practical advice.  You know, for reasons I can't really explain, Australia is THE one place outside the U.S. I really, really, REALLY, want to visit before I die!  I'm anxious to get your insights from down under.  As others have already posted a fresh perspective is always a good thing. Welcome,  Terry

Attached Files

Close