first time shooting .22 cast bullets

• 1.9K Views
  • Last Post 17 August 2015
pondercat posted this 16 August 2015

After waiting about two weeks,  I finally got the gas checks from Midway for my new .22 cast bullets (Lee C225-55-RF Mold) so if all goes well, meaning I get up early enough, there is no thunderstorm going on, and my wife's list of honey do's before I go to work is short enough, I will shoot my first .22 caliber cast bullets ever through my 22-250 Sunday morning (today actually).  I got my rifle barrel all de-coppered and polished up, honed my Lee push through sizing di to my exact throat size (.2255) bullets all sized, gas checked, and lubed up with 45-45-10.   If all goes well I'll let you all know, post some pictures, and brag a bit.  If all goes not so well I'll let you all know, post some pictures, deep sigh and try different loads later.   I may even find time to mess around a little with that new pellet gun of mine.   Terry  

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
PETE posted this 16 August 2015

Terry,

Your really going to like them little bullets. The hard part is getting the gas checks on. ;-) At least it is with part of my 75 yr. thumb missing. After that it's downhill all the way.

What brand rifle/twist will you be using?

Pete

Attached Files

Hi Pete, The rifle is a custom made, built on a Springfield action. The  twist is 1:13.  It was an anniversary present from my wife going on thirty years ago now.  I haven't really shot it all that much over the years, I was concentrating my small bore shooting on a 220 swift I used to have (I still kick myself in the butt regularly for letting that one go), but it is a tack driver with 52 grain hollow points at about 3400 fps or so.  I never really tried to hot rod it, the throat is still in great shape and hopefully it will like these little bullets.  Terry

Attached Files

PETE posted this 16 August 2015

Terry,

Know what you mean about selling a gun and a few weeks,months, years later wish you hadn't and can't recall what you sold/ traded it for. How do I know that??

I've owned both the Swift & 250 but never shot cast in them. So I'll be real interested in what you come up with.

Pete

Attached Files

I just got back in from shooting, 

I 'm excited!!!  :D:D:D   That little bullet shoots great.  My first loads were 6, 7, and 8 grains of blue dot.  Did not chrono the loads - Target was 35 yds.  First shots, 6 grains BD group 1.1” with four in .85” --7gr BD grouped at 1.1” with four in .75” two touching--- 8gr BD grouped .92” (I pulled the first shot) 4 shots in .49 group with three shots in one hole. These were shot off the hood of my truck from a sandbag rest using a brand new Weaver Target scope that is a fixed 32 power, bore sighted.  First time using that also.  I'm running late for work so I will post pictures of the targets and the rifle when I get home this evening.  :cba:     :lovecast: 

Thanks for all the info you guys have provided.  I know it is helping a lot! Terry

Attached Files

pondercat posted this 17 August 2015

Here are the targets.  I will get more serious with the next set of groups.  Set up with a more solid benchrest when I'm not so rushed for time.  I just had to get out and try these first loads and so far I am Happy with what I see.  As I shot each group I adjusted the scope to get more centered on the paper.  The first group was shot just after bore sighting.  Don't know why I can't get this image to appear bigger.  It hard to see and the file size is getting quite large.  I'll do the next pictures differently - make them easier to view.   Terry

Attached Files

billglaze posted this 17 August 2015

Pondercat:I had no problem “swiping” my fingers across the photos, and enlarging them to whatever I wanted.  I was treated to some very good groups; well worth looking.I dunno about the other folks, but the way you did it worked great for me. Bill

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is. My fate is not entirely in Gods hands, if I have a weapon in mine.

Attached Files

Close