Ideal 454424

• 4K Views
  • Last Post 11 November 2015
Pigslayer posted this 16 August 2015

Picked up an older Ideal 2 cavity 454424 with handles in mint condition for $60.00. Thought that it was a decent deal. Always wanted that mold. The throats on my Ruger Blackhawk .45 Colt are exactly .454. This should be fun. Anyone out there with experience with this bullet please chime in. Pat

If someone else had of done to me what I did to myself . . . I'd have killed him. Humility is an asset. Heh - heh.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Longone posted this 16 August 2015

Pigslayer, I have the RCBS version and shoot it out of a Blackhawk convertible. LOVE that bullet, been shooting 6 grains of Unique for very manageable 45 Colt loads but 8.0 grains really shoots very well @ 25 yards. Your going to be very happy with your new acquisition.

Longone

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 16 August 2015

Pat,

Started out with a single #454424, then found a used four cavity that I used for years for almost all of my 45 colt and light bullet 45/70. Used 3 parts 22 LR range scrap and 1 part WW's and it would cast right at .454” and from Linotype at .459". This is the mould I was using when Dave Scovil was first writing about sizing to cylinder throat diameter. It worked very well sized to .452". It has very good knock down with the few coyotes I shot with it, and was more accurate than I could hold the Model 1909 Colt revolver. When used at 900 f/s it will solve all of the problems you would need a revolver.  I have since gone to a #452423 to use was a serious bullet in the 45 ACP and general usage in the 45 colt, as all my guns are the new small chambers. Ric

Attached Files

Dale53 posted this 18 August 2015

There can be a problem with Lyman molds. Over the years, as the cherries were replaced, the design sometimes changed. Elmer Keith's design should NOT have been changed.

At any rate, if you have a good copy, this is an excellent bullet for the .45 Colt (as well as the .45 Auto rim).

I have a correct copy of the original from NOE bullet molds that works quite well with 8.5 grs of Unique in the .45 Colt (I use it in my Bisley Vaquero as well as my Bisley Convertible).

However, I believe an even better bullet for the .45 Colt is Dave Scovilles “improvement” - the RCBS .45-270-SAA. I have that bullet in a correct copy from Mihec molds in both solid and hollow point.

I now use my 454424 (250 grs in my alloy) mostly in my 625's for my “heavy load". IT makes a FINE field load for the .45 Auto Rim.

FWIW Dale53

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 19 August 2015

I received my mold today. After some research I find that this mold was manufactured prior to 1958. I knew that the mold was in great condition but . . . I find that is actually “new” old stock. Absolutely brand new! Came in the original box in like new condition, the original oil paper that it is/was wrapped in & the original instructions. No sign of use whatsoever with what looks like remnants of the original oil applied to protect it. The handles are absolutely pristine! What a deal for $60.00! Sometimes I get lucky. Now I'm hesitant to use it! Go figure.

If someone else had of done to me what I did to myself . . . I'd have killed him. Humility is an asset. Heh - heh.

Attached Files

billglaze posted this 20 August 2015

Pigslayer, this is the first pistol mould I bought, back in 1952. Used it ever since.

Thousands of bullets cast with it; still using it. (Good Lord, that's over 60 years--boy, do they ever make those things to last!) I've always used 8.5gr. of Unique; it did what I wanted it to, so I never have thought of going anywhere else. Lyman (and others, too; I sometimes think they copy each other's work) call it maximum, but on my original (1917) S.A.A. and my other .45's, cases just drop out of the cylinder.
I chronographed it one time. Lyman says 846 ft. as I recall. In my old S.A.A. I got over 900 ft, with the Smith mod. 25, over a thousand ft. (Who needs a Magnum? I've got them, but I sometimes wonder why.) BTW: when I chrono'd the above, there was another guy at the range with a different brand of chrono; he said that my Oehler 35P numbers were right on, when I showed him the tape.. I don't want to run on; any questions, just ask away. HTH. Bill

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is. My fate is not entirely in Gods hands, if I have a weapon in mine.

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 20 August 2015

In reference to your Yogi Barra quote: I once shot a coyote in his left front shoulder, out his right hip, through a 2X4 fence stringer, then through a $200 sheep and out over the sagebrush after that. That was with a S&W 625, 454424 and 5.0 grains of WW231, so what more would you ever need?

Attached Files

billglaze posted this 20 August 2015

Ric, there's a good chance that the bullet is still going--somewhere I never cease to be amazed at all the energy packed into these comparatively small packages that we call cartridges.

Bill

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is. My fate is not entirely in Gods hands, if I have a weapon in mine.

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 20 August 2015

As long as you shoot REVOLVERS you have no need for any other .45 bullet. Marlin levers may bobble, and some M1911s won't feed it, but 4.5 grains of Unique in the .455 Eley, 6 grains in the ACP Schofield or Auto Rim and 8 grains in the .45 Colt and you can't go wrong!

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 20 August 2015

All of this good feedback concerning this mold is great. Thank you all.

Attached Files

Another Shot

Attached Files

Another Shot.

Attached Files

Another.

Attached Files

oscarflytyer posted this 21 August 2015

think it is basic 429421 w/ GC. if so, 429421 is about all I shoot in 44 SPC (and used to shoot in a 44 Mag) and love it

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 21 August 2015

oscarflytyer wrote: think it is basic 429421 w/ GC. if so, 429421 is about all I shoot in 44 SPC (and used to shoot in a 44 Mag) and love it No, it's a 454424. No gascheck.

Attached Files

mckg posted this 22 August 2015

Pigslayer wrote: I received my mold today. After some research I find that this mold was manufactured prior to 1958. I knew that the mold was in great condition but . . . I find that is actually “new” old stock. Absolutely brand new! Came in the original box in like new condition, the original oil paper that it is/was wrapped in & the original instructions. No sign of use whatsoever with what looks like remnants of the original oil applied to protect it. The handles are absolutely pristine! What a deal for $60.00! Sometimes I get lucky. Now I'm hesitant to use it! Go figure. I see what you mean: have a copy made to preserve the original and be called a weirdo by non believers... :)

And a Lyman mold sold with handles.... but then the 50's eh!

NOE makes it, btw; http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/productinfo.php?productsid=450

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 23 August 2015

Pretty Bullet!

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 23 August 2015

Another shot.

Attached Files

Longone posted this 23 August 2015

The real enjoyment is just around the corner, it's a great shooting bullet. You will be making these by the truck load. :fire

Longone

Attached Files

billglaze posted this 23 August 2015

Thoroughly in agreement with Longone; never felt the need for any other bullet design in my .45 Colt (and S & W) revolvers. No leading--none ever--with wheel weights; had no trouble keeping it all in the black on pistol targets at 25 yds.--and I've never had any pretensions about being a pistolero. It's just a great shape/weight for the job. One of Keith's, I believe, if memory serves. Oh, I kinda forgot to mention; when I was shooting like mentioned above, I was about 22 yrs. old, with 20/12 eyesight. (Where did it all go?) Oh, Well--- Anyway, cast 'em up and get ready for some real fun.............

Bill

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 18 October 2015

Well I have about 400 0f the 454424 cast, sized & ready to load. Problem was that I needed some empty cases as all (250) of mine were loaded with the LEE 452-255-RF which, by the way is an excellent shooter. Went to the range today & emptied about 100 cases so I can load some of the 454424's. Off to the shop!

Attached Files

Show More Posts
Close