1903A3

• 2.2K Views
  • Last Post 16 September 2015
Buzzard Bill posted this 17 August 2015

I am looking for help smoothing out the first stage it is ruff and does not have much spring tension. The second stage is fine.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
RicinYakima posted this 17 August 2015

The first stage of the trigger is controlled by the hump on the sear closest to the pivot pin. The top can be smoothed with a fine stone, or 1000 grit wet and dry paint paper, just keep it perpendicular to the sides. Also you should see where it slides over the receiver. It too can be polished flat and smooth. Cleaned down to bare metal and lighted coated with moly-grease with make it very smooth. The spring needs work, as the first stage should be 3 pounds and the second an additional 1 pound. Sadly, a lot were cut/ground too short and are unsafe.

Attached Files

onondaga posted this 17 August 2015

http://castbulletassoc.org/view_user.php?id=5904>Buzzard Bill

Flush and brush with solvent twice, Hoppe's #9 works great for this. flood, brush wipe and allow to dry thoroughly. Then re- oil all bearing points and pivots with a high quality trigger oil that does not have Teflon or moly solids in it.

Creep is normal for this Military trigger and it sounds like yours is just dirty.

Maybe you could be happy with moly grease on a trigger, I think moly grease is horrible on triggers and makes trigger creep feel rough.

My favorite trigger oil is Blue Wonder Disotec XFR.  But plain old Rem Oil should even feel a lot better than Moly Grease in a trigger.

Gary

Attached Files

Buzzard Bill posted this 17 August 2015

Thanks for your reply. I have replaced all of the trigger parts except for the receiver. When I got the rifle it only had one stage and it was so soft it was unsafe to shoot, now I have a two stage trigger with the first stage being soft spring wise and ruff, the second stage being smooth and crisp.

Attached Files

fa38 posted this 17 August 2015

You might try a small washer as a spacer in the hole the spring sits in. If too much spring tension thin it a bit.

Attached Files

onondaga posted this 17 August 2015

http://castbulletassoc.org/view_user.php?id=5904>Buzzard Bill

Now I understand. If you are still fishing for triggers, The Marine Corps issue  trigger is different than general issue. My rifle has one of those and it is super with a smooth glide to a crisp bang and easily adjustable.

Attached Files

delmarskid1 posted this 17 August 2015

RicinYakima wrote: The first stage of the trigger is controlled by the hump on the sear closest to the pivot pin. The top can be smoothed with a fine stone, or 1000 grit wet and dry paint paper, just keep it perpendicular to the sides. Also you should see where it slides over the receiver. It too can be polished flat and smooth. Cleaned down to bare metal and lighted coated with moly-grease with make it very smooth. The spring needs work, as the first stage should be 3 pounds and the second an additional 1 pound. Sadly, a lot were cut/ground too short and are unsafe.I've done this. It's pretty straight forward and works well. Have a good look at that spring. Some person may have shortened it.

Attached Files

giorgio de galleani posted this 18 August 2015

Around 1980 I got an excellent 03A3, in good conditions but with a pitted 4 groove bore, I think the culprit were thw corrosive primers .

In those beautyful years I got a licence from our police and imported with no fuss  from Numrich ,a new Remington two groove barrel for the princely sum of 12 US$.

Try to do the same thing nowadays .

The original trigger was under the  3 Kilos ( a little more than three lbs), the Italian minimum for old  GI hardware , shooting from prone with a sling at 200 meters .

I got the stronger striker spring available from  Wolff and put a small washer under the front trigger spring  and had a legal weight trigger .

I consider  stoning the sear or other trigger parts a  wicked sin,  I oil the parts and shoot buckets of cast bullets . after 500 or 100 rounds  you get a smoother trigger and a better trained shooter .

I used  Lyman moulds 311284 , 311467 and 311332 , and the two grooves barrel , vintage 1943 shoot them all well , better than I could  hold 35 years ago .

I stiil have that 03A3 , with fiber optis front and a Lyman peep ,and merrily plink from offhand ,standing .

As my old fiend Felici says  the problem is not on going down to the prone position , the problem is gettin up .

Attached Files

Buzzard Bill posted this 15 September 2015

Thanks for all the help. A spacer under the spring fixed me right up. The first and second stage are both great. I am headed to the range, thanks again for the help.

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 16 September 2015

springing out to the field . eh ???

Attached Files

Close