I have "sinned", and it was good!

• 11K Views
  • Last Post 15 January 2011
RicinYakima posted this 21 July 2007

Went to the range yesterday to shoot the last postal match of the year, but it was closed with hundreds of cops trying to re-qualify. So, I went out into the sage brush where the “trash and junk” shooter plink. And I had a ball! First time out in a couple of years not shooting targets or critters.

Tried out my OM Blackhawk that I had cut the back of the ACP cylinder off so it would use AR or ACP brass. Shot up 50 rounds before you know it. There was a refrigerator out at about 300 yards. If I held up all of the front sight and a touch of the barrel, 4.0 grains of Bullseye will push Lyman 452423 all the way out there. Plus I could shoot, lower the revolver, then get my trifocals focused on the target before the bullet got there.

Spent 150 rounds of 38's shooting shotgun hulls set up on a computer monitor with the 38/44 Heavy Duty Smith double action. Great fun!

Then filled the back of my pickup with trash and hauled it to a public dumpster in town. Good day, as I got to burn powder, help the environment and had fun.

Ric

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Ed Harris posted this 26 July 2007

Ya did good pardner!

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

CB posted this 26 July 2007

You junky Ric,

Yah, we had an old guy here at Galesburg's range, an old match shooter burned out from punching paper. He asked permission to haul in something trashy that would make noise and show destruction. We hated to say no, so he ended up with an old clothes washing machine, propane tank and a burn barrel down by our 200yrd back stop. He was out there burning powder at least twice a weak. I'm not ashamed to say, it was fun to drop a few handgun rounds in down there and hear some rattle and banging. He 'left-the-range' last year and now the pile is cleaned up, so no harm done killing a little trash now and then ;)

Attached Files

JeffinNZ posted this 31 July 2007

RicinYakima wrote: Went to the range yesterday to shoot the last postal match of the year, but it was closed with hundreds of cops trying to re-qualify.  

AND you'd have been safer in the brush too!  .>:D

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 31 July 2007

Yes, Jeff, you have that right!

I spent two years as a State Police Officer when I got out of the Army in 1970. We were trained on the old PPC course. You failed if you couldn't keep all your shots in the 12” black at 50 yards.

Our rifle and pistol club owns the turning target stands the police used for qualifying. They are 3 x 4  frames made from plastic pipe that support the cardboard backers. Six out of 24 survived not having the frames shot up,i.e. more than one bullet hit. At seven yards they missed a 3 foot by 4 foot backer and hit the plastic pipe. We also have seven (7) holes to fix in the roof of the 25 yard firing line, accidental discharges?

You are right, safer in the bush that day!

Ric

Attached Files

Mnshooter posted this 03 August 2007

In my previous employment, I worked quite a bit with police officers. The last police chief I worked with was interested in guns like myself and was a darn good shot. That being said, there were a few where I felt that the city would have been safer if the chief kept the cartridge in his pocket to give them if they needed it ala Mayberry. As the chief would not let them patrol unless they qualified, one had to try three times to make it. The longest shot was 21 FEET. I still wonder if letting someone like him carry high capacity semi-autos doesn't make them more dangerous.

MNshooter

Attached Files

Mnshooter posted this 03 August 2007

Got off the subject a little. Archers rove, Ie. shoot special arrows ant various target they see as they walk through a field or woods. I ahve done this with reduced cast loads and rifles and found it to be great. While we have to watch more carefully where the bullet goes, shooting at old stumps, shooting off weeds, etc is not only enjoyable but I feel makes one more comfortable with the rifle in field conditions. My wife has horses, piles of horse droppings really make an interesting target as they tend to really blow when hit, (obviously not a close range activity). Other good targets are clay pigeons and potatos set up against a bank. When we shot black powder, the novelty shoots using these targets were popular sometimes with shooters kicking in maybe 50 cents to a dollar and the winner take all, I don't think they would be a bad setup as an aside for more formal shoots. Really fun.

Mnshooter

Attached Files

X Shooter posted this 18 November 2007

Dan, many, many years ago I shot on a range outside of Galesburg, 200 yards and as I remember it they had 200 yard pits.  Owned by a fellow whose first name was Fred and had a son called Freddie.  Nice people, slow and easy going.  Had some thieves come in one night with silenced chain saws and took away several good walnut trees.  And one of my cousins, long gone, shot a very large tree down, over a several year period.  Had a 63 Winchester and with quick load tubes and would load up and turn the 63 upside down and could pull the trigger so fast it sounded like a full auto.  Be interesting to know how many thousand .22's it took him.  Salvage of lead would be worth a pretty penny today.

Attached Files

CB posted this 18 November 2007

Freddie is still there and the range is still there.  I'm a member.  We rebuilt the pits about 8-10 years ago, but don't shoot any high-power matches. One of the BOD members got interested in bench rest shooting so we had about 8 heavy wooden BR benches built and shoot fun matches with BR-50 targets with 22s and then high powder rifle BR fun matches. The two handgun firing points are also still there. Good to hear from ya..........Dan

Attached Files

whofan posted this 17 December 2007

Where I live the National Forest is about 20 miles away.  Even though it is farther away from my house than the local state uncontrolled range, I love to go there and shoot.

No one bothers you and you don't have to shoot paper targets, which is so boring to me--I like dynamic targets (yes we pick up our targets).  I avoid it during deer and turkey seasons so as to not bother the fine folks in the woods.

Edit for spelling

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 18 December 2007

I have been known to carry a .32 revolver, my “bunny” rifle and a small 3” swinging gong into the woods in a backpack, enabling me to set up a “bunny wabbit” simulation in the woods, improvising field positions, shoot from various angles, from various locations, etc.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 18 December 2007

How does that children's song go? “Don't go out in the woods today, you're in for a big surprise!"

Somehow, I think going on one of your walks would be fun. The most fun, about the only fun, I ever had in Army training was “Quick Kill". Walking through the swamps of Ft. Polk, LA with a BB gun shooting at surprise targets.

Ric

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 19 December 2007

Far better walking through the swamps with a BB gun than groveling motionless in it, wearing a guillie suit with bugs crawling over you and you contemplate whether you'll crap your pants first, sneeze or pass gas before the Gunny finds you to take a leak...

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 19 December 2007

Ah well, I was just meat for the “meat grinder". Never did any of the warrior stuff, just repelled out of slicks and blew up thousands of pounds of B2, C4 and few hundred miles of det-cord. Ric /31st Engineers (Combat)(Airmobile)/

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 19 December 2007

Sounds like more fun!

8-)

Attached Files

51 Colt posted this 28 December 2007

That sounds like  waste of perfectly good fishing gear.:D

Mike

Attached Files

Lefty posted this 06 January 2008

;)

Ric

Did you cut the cylinder yourself.  I like 45 AR and also Blackhawks but had not thought of marrying the two.  Did you also ream the head spacing shoulder out of the cylinder?

Lefty

Attached Files

51 Colt posted this 06 January 2008

I have a old S&W Double Action in 45ACP it is a blast to shoot. I have been shooting it with 1/2 moon slips and 45ACP. I want to get some AR cases and give them a try.

Mike

Attached Files

DonH posted this 07 January 2008

RicinYakima wrote: How does that children's song go? “Don't go out in the woods today, you're in for a big surprise!"

Somehow, I think going on one of your walks would be fun. The most fun, about the only fun, I ever had in Army training was “Quick Kill". Walking through the swamps of Ft. Polk, LA with a BB gun shooting at surprise targets.

Ric I never got into the swamps at Fort Polk but the “better” part of the place was enough of an armpit. Was there for clerk school - yuk! I got to do some of the BB gun stuff in woods at Knox, hunting each other with the Daisys wearing winter gear. For the record, drill seargants don't much care for BBs to the back of their legs!

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 08 January 2008

Lefty,

I cut the cylinder in a three jaw chuck in my lathe. That was accurate enough for that Ruger cylinder. The cylinder cuts very easly with a HHS bit that is sharp and using a slow feed rate. I set it up for 0.006” headspace, that leaves it short of the front shoulder of the ACP chamber. WW alloy and 4.1 grains of Bullseye leaves a little lead shaving but I have not shot it enough to see if it will build up enough to stop ACP from chambering. I doubt it as the maximum length ACP cases have 0.024” headspace.

This way it will shoot AR or ACP brass. Since AR brass is so short, there is a void between the front of the case and shoulder. I load the bullets long and it shoots just fine 2 1/2 inch 25 yard groups.

Ric

Attached Files

Lefty posted this 08 January 2008

Thanks Ric.  Good info.

Lefty

Attached Files

Show More Posts
Close