.177 air to powder conversion

• 1.8K Views
  • Last Post 02 October 2015
EvanGuy posted this 30 August 2015

this is a project i did over last week on my lunch breaks. i did it for the fun of making somthing, and i didnt have any LRP so i couldnt play with my 303 loads,

i found an old pellet gun in my closet and wished to do somthing with it other then use it properly lol.

ive been working on making my own break barrel shotgun primergun and when pressing the barrel into the action, i bent it, so i scrapped that i wanted to use my pellet gun for the same thing

its a 177cal, i just drilled out the barrel to .245” dia and drilled it .275” deep using a “C” drill. then i took the plunger out and removed the seal and then welded an end cap on it and tapped it for the adjustable fireing pin. i made a new outer sleeve to keep the firing  fine alined,

it is using the same action as the pellet gun had, same everything, basicily just a pin threaded into the end of the plunger and a steal plate instead of a rubber gasket. with a drilled out barrel.

it took about 2 hours of time and it works well, although it blows the midle out of the pellet so i need some type of wadding.

this was done for shear entertainment.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
mckg posted this 30 August 2015

Interesting! It brings memories of loading toy canons with firecrackers when I was a kid. I believe that muzzle loading it with a wad will solve your problem ;).

Actually, I would try pushing the pellets down the barrel (breech side) to cut on pressure. Primers have a lot more energy than we realize. An air pistol can shoot pellets which were just pushed backwards in its muzzle; I never experienced with rifles.

Attached Files

EvanGuy posted this 31 August 2015

Yeah primers have alot more power then i thought/expected. I push the pellet about six inches down the barrel and it still happens. Im just using super cheap pellets. I may try a patched steel bb, for a bb gun. Or ill make some copper FBWC on my lathe to try lol. Just to small to cast for.

Attached Files

mckg posted this 31 August 2015

No it's not! :)

Make a search for “177 mold” or “pellet mold"

http://airgunpelletmaker.weebly.com/ http://airgundevelopment.com/mold.html http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?14629-Does-anyone-make-177-pellet-mold

Did you slug your barrel ? Would you try BB/180” shots?

Attached Files

delmarskid1 posted this 31 August 2015

Gamo makes a .177” round ball pellet. They shoot well in my air gun. I'd fill the bases of waisted pellets with epoxy or wood glue. Cool project. I shoot .22 pellets out of my “bee” using rifle primers in cases.

Attached Files

EvanGuy posted this 02 October 2015

Mckg, Thanks, in the future i plan on making a few .177 and .22 pellet molds for air guns, i didn't realize you could get/make them that small, i though i read about people with .223's having a hard time casting for them. but none the less i've seen others can do it so there is no reason why i cant lol. also i didn't slug the barrel, although i would have if it didn't end so quick haha

Delmarskid1, yeah round balls was an idea, i do like the idea of filling the skirts of pellets, and if i did this with a real firearm, it would have been a lot better, also a .22 caliber would have been nice.

so this is the end of the primer gun lol it still shoots fine but you can not aim it at all. the action is WAY to lose, when the barrel/action is closed you can move the end of the barrel around about a 1/4” off center. it was just too weak, this has happened after about 20 shots lol

also switching from wad cutters to round nose they shoot without breaking apart, i just sink them 2” in the barrel ahead of the primer.

i could take the action pin out and ream the parts to take a 8mm pin opposed to the never reamed just drilled 4.75mm action pin holes now. that will stiffen it all up.

but as of now it works, fires, looks cool and people love to see it, also i know in my head i converted a airgun into a centerfire. so its retired on the shelf now.

Attached Files

Close