.284 Win. Brass

• 3K Views
  • Last Post 22 March 2016
billglaze posted this 04 September 2015

I've tried all the usual suspects, and can't seem to locate any.  I'm thinking about a Savage BR in 6.5-284, but I don't want to paint myself in to a corner by buying a rifle with no brass available.  Ideas? Bill

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is. My fate is not entirely in Gods hands, if I have a weapon in mine.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Mike H posted this 04 September 2015

billglaze wrote: I've tried all the usual suspects, and can't seem to locate any.  I'm thinking about a Savage BR in 6.5-284, but I don't want to paint myself in to a corner by buying a rifle with no brass available.  Ideas? BillLapua makes 6.5-284 brass,over here a lot of it gets expanded up to .284 Winchester.Mike.

Attached Files

billglaze posted this 04 September 2015

Thanks, Mike. Just went to a site that had it listed for about $140 US for 100 cases. It kind of galls me to pay that much for brass, plus over $1200 for a new rifle. I think I'll just hold off for a while. Plus, after looking at the cartridge closely, I kind of get the idea that the neck might be too short to hold cast bullets and offer the guidance needed for initial alinement with the bore.
So, I'm just sitting tight for the short term; we'll see how it all plays out.

Thanks for the reply.

Bill

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is. My fate is not entirely in Gods hands, if I have a weapon in mine.

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 05 September 2015

i think i saw some new 284 in my stash awhile back ... pm me if interested then i will start digging ( g ) .

ken

Attached Files

TRKakaCatWhisperer posted this 08 September 2015

billglaze wrote: ... but I don't want to paint myself in to a corner by buying a rifle with no brass available.  Ideas? Bill familiar situation.  SO, I look at 250 or 550 rds of brass as 'adequate' for 5 or 10 years of shooting and go from there.  OR, looking at 30-30 Wesson - can be made from .357 max (which should be available for some time ...)

Attached Files

Brodie posted this 08 September 2015

You could consider the 6.5 Creedmore Instead of the 6.5-284,  The Creedmore is made from 250 Savage brass or 22-250 brass which should be around for a long time.  Brodie

B.E.Brickey

Attached Files

beltfed posted this 22 March 2016

I went with the 260 rem.If you are “into” a 6.5 this ctg can be made easily. Simply neck up plentiful 243 brassbeltfed/arnie

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 22 March 2016

the 260 rem. has gotta be sweet ... or if you are thinking ” more is better ” ...the 6.5 x '06 .....

ken

Attached Files

oscarflytyer posted this 22 March 2016

I have/hunt with a 284 Win. You can find cases occasionally. But nearly always well used. This is what I have done to get mine. Unless you catch a seasonal run on them, but that hasn't happened in awhile.

Attached Files

Close