New to CBA

• 1.6K Views
  • Last Post 12 September 2015
Minerat posted this 04 September 2015

As a short intro, I started reloading for shot guns in 1970, rifle and pistol in 1984.  I started casting in 2014 when a friend walked into my office and dropped 8 what turn out to be classic Ideal and RCBS boolit moulds on my desk and asked if I was interested.  They were his dads and he was not interested in casting after he passed.

I had just acquired a 41 mag and was having trouble finding bullets for it the, moulds gave me an idea to start casting my own.  I had been messing with casting fishing weights so have some of the equipment necessary to start melting lead.  I had been hanging around (lurking) the Cast Boolit forum for a while and decided since I had all of these cool moulds that I would leaf in with both feet.  I bought a Mihec 41 cal mould on a group buy. I now have 12 mould with one on order.  I have to admit that this affliction is saving me as much money as my reloading habit does.:P (OH look ma another new 265 gr 41 cal mould, I got to have it!)

Today as I was perusing the Cast Boolit forum I found a link to your Association and here I am.  While I have not become a member yet (I want to see what I'm getting myself into) I probably will join in the near future.  I'll probably spend more time reading then posting in the beginning as I still have a lot to learn in this casting game.  I guess that's enough blathering for now.

73's

Steve

Steve CCCSC NRA Life member KC0gpt

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Duane Mellenbruch posted this 04 September 2015

Welcome to the Forum, and it sounds like you are already starting out with some nice molds. Sometimes these can come to us after a lengthy period of unintended storage and can use a little TLC before you use them. Here is one of the threads in this forum about the care and cleaning of used molds. You probably already know about this, but sometimes improper cleaning can damage a mold unintentionally.

http://castbulletassoc.org/viewtopic.php?id=6579&forumid=10 Duane

Attached Files

joeb33050 posted this 04 September 2015

You missed the penalty clause. Every new person to this forum gets to write “boolit” twice. After that, you must send me $1.47 every time you write the non-word “boolit". Cash, check or paypal. Don't get me started on the past pluperfect!joe b.

Attached Files

LWesthoff posted this 04 September 2015

Congratulations Joe! You have finally made a remark with which I agree 150%!!!

Also, welcome to the CBA, Mineral. If you like shooting and assembling cast bullets, you should like it here. Pretty sure you can get a free copy of The Fouling Shot, our 6 times a year publication for CBA members, and hope you'll see fit to join the club.

Wes

Attached Files

Minerat posted this 05 September 2015

Joeb,

I beg forgiveness for the FOPA and will refrain from using Boolit on this forum in the future. It will be HCLP in the future (hard cast lead projectile):cool:. Thanks for setting me straight, as $1.47 would cut into my saving from reloading and casting. TPFIC.

Regards, Steve

Attached Files

Brodie posted this 11 September 2015

Welcome aboard Minerat.  The first bullets I ever cast were from a 240gr. Lyman mold for the 41 mag.  Then the dorm guy came into the room asked me what I was doing , and being honest  I told him.  He confiscated my equipment (a home made pot on the stove in the common area) and my mold.  I had to go to the dean to get I back and promise not to make evil bullets on University property.  That was about 1967, and Cal. Lutheran U. can wait till the seas dry and the cows come home because of it.  Should have told the jerk I was making casting for an art project. Glad to have another addict. Brodie

B.E.Brickey

Attached Files

Minerat posted this 11 September 2015

Brodie,

Thanks for welcome.  Ya made me laugh. 

Regards,

Steve

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 12 September 2015

It's good to see new users coming over to visit from the other forums. You are welcome here and you will find knowledgeable posters willing to share what they have learned without the politics and drama which seem to dilute the content of so many other places on the net.

While many of the people here are active competitors, there are a variety of other topics also. I would invite you to review the archives and if you don't find the answers to your questions, just ask.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

Minerat posted this 12 September 2015

Thanks Ed,

Yes the archives and old posts are my friend.  I pretty used to look first and asking later if I can't find what I need.

73s de KC0GPT

Steve

Attached Files

Close