Kings portable brinell tester

• 1.5K Views
  • Last Post 21 October 2015
bandmiller2 posted this 11 October 2015

A friend has given me a Kings portable brinell tester with a .390 ball on the hydraulic piston, would this tool be suitable for lead alloys or do I need other attachments.?? Frank C.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
onondaga posted this 11 October 2015

I believe if you do the math or have a chart for indent size to BHN conversion for this specific tool you will be fine. Time hold duration and applied force of the test is also tool specific. Original instructions will have that for the tool.

If you have no instructions, you will be playing for a while and estimating how correctly you are using the tool!

I'd like to see pix of your tool.

I have the Lee Hardness Test Kit and like how it is used with my regular loading  press for 30 seconds per sample. I use a 6x magnifier and measure indents with a mechanical caliper to .001"  accuracy.

Gary

Attached Files

bandmiller2 posted this 12 October 2015

Gary thanks for your reply, sorry I'am not up to speed on the picture thing. Found the manual on line for the tester, I may need a low pressure head as its set up for steel now. The danged tool costs over $ 4000.00 new I must do more reading. As you said you apply known pressure for a length of time and measure the indent diameter. I have Dick Lees book I must reread he did a good job of explaining the process. Frank C.

Attached Files

gpidaho posted this 13 October 2015

Frank: I'd say your a pretty lucky guy to be gifted a tool like that! Now, I sure hope the low pressure head doesn't cost mega bucks and make it out of reach. Gp

Attached Files

yodogsandman posted this 18 October 2015

Would this calculator help? Change the units to what you need and it figures it out for you.

http://www.ajdesigner.com/phphardness/brinellhardnessnumber.php#ajscroll

Attached Files

bandmiller2 posted this 21 October 2015

Thanks Yodog that will help as most of the tables I've seen are metric. Frank C.

Attached Files

Close