Black mz patched ball

• 1.2K Views
  • Last Post 16 October 2015
linoww posted this 15 October 2015

I've been shooting 55g with a .490 ball with .015 patch in a lyman gp hunter 1-32 with good luck.my  5 shot groups are between 1.25 and 2.25 inch at 50 yards.I can shoot 40 shots with no cleaning and loading  remains easy.<size= ><size=I got the powder fot $10 per pound on closeout.I'm buying 10 more pounds! >

"if it was easy we'd let women do it" don't tell my wife I said that!

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
onondaga posted this 15 October 2015

http://castbulletassoc.org/view_user.php?id=807>linoww

Great you finally tried BMZ. I think it is wonderful stuff. It did just as well for me the first time and continues too. My Lyman GP shoots so clean with BMZ that it puts fun into shooting that rifle at a level I never had before. Really Clean shooting stuff.

Gary

Attached Files

I was surprised that a report by writer toby bridges said it only kept “hunting accuracy ” for 4 or so shots before cleaning was  needed with patched ball.it's my feeling he never tried more than 4 shots.

Attached Files

onondaga posted this 15 October 2015

I ran 6 strings of 5 shots through a chronograph with BMZ and the Lee 250 gr REAL. ES was 4 on average. That speaks very loud and supported Alliant's claim that BMZ has the lowest ES of any muzzle loading propellant. I also won 2 second places in our ML Postal matches with BMZ and my Lyman GP.

Your result and mine agree. The BMZ is definitely a match grade propellant for me.

our Lyman rifles do have an advantage in my opinion. The bore finish on Lyman rifles is superb. That helps too.  My inexpensive Traditions flintlock rifle kit gun also shoots as well as my Lyman with BMZ.

I do have a CVA kit built percussion Mountain rifle with a coarse finish bore. The CVA will shoot better when more shots break it in better. I have only fired that CVA 10 times at 50 yards with BMZ. It doesn't group as well as my other rifles but has “Hunting Accuracy” The CVA just needs to be shot more to break it in. That is different from my Traditions Flint that shot fine the first time tried new with BMZ.

Gary

Attached Files

I shot a bit over 40 shots yesterday offhand with no cleaning and again accuracy seem to hold up fine. I'm also using CCI number 11 non magnum primers. Ignition is instant

Attached Files

Brodie posted this 16 October 2015

I wish that I could find some of that stuff to try here in Flag. Although my front stuffer shoots quite well with 777. Good shooting George. Brodie

B.E.Brickey

Attached Files

linoww posted this 16 October 2015

Mine likes 777 also but at the $10 price I couldn't pass it up.I just got done shooting 30 offhand at 25 after work.again all grouped well.I was using some smsll .485 balls I got at a show that loaded loose.I didn't need a short starter and it was relaxing to omit that step.

Attached Files

Brodie posted this 16 October 2015

That's why I like shooting a bow.  The reloading is easy, and I don't have to resize.

B.E.Brickey

Attached Files

I did run into an issue this am.I only had thinner patching and it was pretty loose and you could hear the report varied.but it burned clean and shot well.

I'm looking for a long bow.funny you mentioned that!

Attached Files

Longone posted this 16 October 2015

Old Coot wrote: That's why I like shooting a bow.  The reloading is easy, and I don't have to resize. It's easier to make more round balls than to find that arrow in the tall grass. Then when you do find (hear) it some dumbbell has stepped on it!!!!!  :wow: Longone

Attached Files

That is the reason that kept me from archery

Attached Files

Close