outside neck turning

• Last Post 30 November 2015
billglaze posted this 30 November 2015

There exists a distinct possibility that I may have to turn the case necks on a new 6 mm BR that I just bought.  Crazy accurate, but the fired cases won't easily re-admit a bullet.  I'm worried about pressure possibilities if I can't get a good neck release.

Therefore, I'm asking for information from folks who are currently neck-turning cases, about which turning tool to buy, and, equally important, which to steer clear of.If it makes you more comfortable, please feel free to PM me about this; I promise to keep your name and communication private.Thanks, all. Bill

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is. My fate is not entirely in Gods hands, if I have a weapon in mine.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
John Carlson posted this 30 November 2015

I've been happy with the sinclair tool.

You may want to slug your chamber to determine what your maximum loaded neck diameter needs to be.

John Carlson. CBA Director of Military Competition.

Attached Files

gpidaho posted this 30 November 2015

Bill: I bought the Sinclair Premium Neck Turning Kit,(the green one) and couldn't be happier with the tool, easy to adjust and very precise. I used the RCBS tool that mounts on the Trim Pro case trimming tool and it works but the Sinclair tool is a much better tool. Gp

Attached Files

TRKakaCatWhisperer posted this 30 November 2015

I had made in the local school shop a clone of the Sinclair tool. 1/2” steel plate, .375 slot for a 3/8 lathe tool and a .375 hole for the mandrel. Good, simple design. Later in life I bought second-hand the 'lathe' for turning the brass - good idea if you have hundreds of cases. Bill - I have a friend in Stokesdale. We should all get together next time I come down. Be glad to loan you the 'lathe'.

Attached Files

fa38 posted this 30 November 2015

I have the K & M tool and a Marquardt tool. I use both but prefer the K&M. You can adjust it in very small increments.
They also make a neck expander tool that can fit different calibers.
You use the expander mandrel so that the turning tool is a very close fit to the turning tool mandrel.

Attached Files

delmarskid1 posted this 30 November 2015

I use the Sinclair gold colored job. It works okay but I need to make two or three light passes. It seems that it bends a bit. I've put the cases in a Lee collet shell holder and this is easier on my fingers. The sinclair case holder slips a little. I can put the Lee “spinner” in a drill IF I go very low r.p.m.'s.

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 30 November 2015

I use the L. E. Wilson; however it is slow to adjust and slow to use. It does excellent work, but I have never had to do more than 20 cases at a time, so that never bothered me.

Attached Files

Close