Mold for 65 grain 6mm bullet

• 1.2K Views
  • Last Post 10 December 2015
John Alexander posted this 09 December 2015

Does anybody know a mold maker that produces or would produce a mold for a short pointy 6mm bullet.  LBT has a 75 grain spitzer which is close.  Many custom makers don't think there are any rifles smaller than 30 caliber so some of the suspects are off the table. John

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
jeff houck posted this 09 December 2015

Send LBT an e-mail and ask for a 60 gr. mould. Chances are good he can do it for you.

Attached Files

OU812 posted this 09 December 2015

LBT pdf online catalog shows a picture of 60gr. .243 bullet.

Page 11: http://lbtmoulds.com/pdf/2007CATALOG.pdf>http://lbtmoulds.com/pdf/2007CATALOG.pdf

I notice Paul Pollard uses a 80gr. EAGAN MX2-243 bore riding bullet in his 1/14 twist Unrestricted rifle with good results.

Is Shilen the only barrel maker that cuts six groove barrels. I hear six grooves (wider lands) work good with bore riding bullets.

Attached Files

Paul Pollard posted this 09 December 2015

John, LBT cut my mould. Marked 245-65-SP. This has a .5R nose. Weighs 62 grains in Lino. Do you need something pointier than the usual?

Let me know how sizing to .22 works!

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 10 December 2015

hi john .. i have an nei mold in 243 ...2 cavity, 75 and 100 gr. be glad to ship it up for trial .... i won't need it till next summer sometime ...

pm me if .

ken

edit:::   40 years ago we just kept buying molds to get a lucky one ....then came the cba with our scientific method ..... oh oh .... are we now revisiting the trial=and=error  method  ...  (   grin ... what else can i do ... ??   )    ?

Attached Files

John Alexander posted this 10 December 2015

Thanks to all. OU812, don't know how I missed seeing the 60 grainer when I looked yesterday.  That should fit my friend's bill.

Paul, they come out really long and streamlined - improves the BC.  Similar to those rimfires I have heard of with a 22 LR chamber in a 20 or 17 caliber barrel.  Maybe that was a dream since one of our cherished beliefs is that an oversized bullet always creates death dealing pressures. 8mm in 30 for instance. 

Ken,  Thanks but the mold is for something else and my only 6mm is up for sale.

John

Attached Files

Bud Hyett posted this 10 December 2015

Eagan offered a 6 mm mold; 68 grain, gas-check, in shape tapered like the SAECO 315; if you can find one today. This was offered for people with 6X47 or 6 mm PPC who wanted to try cast. If you do not want a gas-check mold, you can mill off the top of the 75 grain mold and get it down to 65 grains that way. Unless you have an older rifle with a 1 in 14” twist, stick with the minimum of a 75 grain mold for wind resistance. Today's commercial rifles with the faster 6 mm twist rates (1 in 10” and 1 in 9")  allow bullets up to 100 grains. If you are looking at a new rifle, go with the heavier bullets for resisting wind drift. And with hard lead alloy you can drive the 6 mm cast bullet fast enough to get stability.     

Farm boy from Illinois, living in the magical Pacific Northwest

Attached Files

Bud Hyett posted this 10 December 2015

Eagan offered a 6 mm mold; 68 grain, gas-check, in shape tapered like the SAECO 315; if you can find one today. This was offered for people with 6X47 or 6 mm PPC who wanted to try cast.

If you do not want a gas-check mold, you can mill off the top of the 75 grain mold and get it down to 65 grains that way.

Unless you have an older rifle with a 1 in 14” twist, stick with the minimum of a 75 grain mold for wind resistance. 

Farm boy from Illinois, living in the magical Pacific Northwest

Attached Files

Close