Older Lyman Mold Handles

• 2.1K Views
  • Last Post 17 January 2016
Pigslayer posted this 27 December 2015

Well, I have several sets of older Lyman mold handles that have the wood cracked & falling off. Not good during a casting session. I bought a length of 3/4” Oak dowel rod and I'm going to dust off my wood lathe & make some new ones. I'll use some 1/2” hard copper tubing for the escutcheons. Also got some J-B Weld for when I set the handles. Pat 

If someone else had of done to me what I did to myself . . . I'd have killed him. Humility is an asset. Heh - heh.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
billglaze posted this 27 December 2015

Pigslayer: Had the same problem; must be poor quality construction. (I'd only been using them since I started casting, ca. 1952.)

I used Gorilla Glue to piece the handles together, and to glue the mold handle tangs into the handles. Been a year or 2 now, and the Gorilla Glue is holding up fine, even with the heat, which, as you know, is considerable.

Easy to use stuff; used it often in my model aviation life.

Bill

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is. My fate is not entirely in Gods hands, if I have a weapon in mine.

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 27 December 2015

billglaze wrote: Pigslayer: Had the same problem; must be poor quality construction. (I'd only been using them since I started casting, ca. 1952.)

I used Gorilla Glue to piece the handles together, and to glue the mold handle tangs into the handles. Been a year or 2 now, and the Gorilla Glue is holding up fine, even with the heat, which, as you know, is considerable.

Easy to use stuff; used it often in my model aviation life.

Bill
I have Gorilla glue as I am a woodworker & absolutely love the stuff! I bought the original J-B Weld as it says that it will withstand up to 550 degrees. Shoot, after reading your post I realized I could have just used my Gorilla glue. Go figure. Anyway I'm getting my lathe set up so I can turn 3 sets of handles. Can't find my spur center. Drat!  

If someone else had of done to me what I did to myself . . . I'd have killed him. Humility is an asset. Heh - heh.

Attached Files

delmarskid1 posted this 28 December 2015

You might have a nice little cottage industry going there. Everybody has cracked and busted handles.

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 28 December 2015

delmarskid1 wrote: You might have a nice little cottage industry going there. Everybody has cracked and busted handles.
You might be right! I'll post some pics when I get them done. Pat

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 31 December 2015

Made a couple of prototype mold handles today to replace my broken ones. Made them from 3/4” Oak dowel w/copper ferrules.

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 31 December 2015

That looks classy!

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 01 January 2016

RicinYakima wrote: That looks classy! Thank you sir! Going to make two more sets today. Then mount them with JB Weld. Tired of the old handles falling off when I'm casting . . . it burns. Pat

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 01 January 2016

I had to drill the new handles in two steps as that is the way the casting is. The new handles fit well & very snug as I had to drive them the last 1/2” with a mallet. I coated the casting with JB Weld prior to driving them on. I really don't think that I'll have a problem with them coming off!

Attached Files

Brodie posted this 01 January 2016

Good job Pat. I have a couple sets of old Lyman handles that split, fell off etc. Mostly I just wrapped them with twine and glued them up with epoxy. I didn't have a lathe back then. Brodie

B.E.Brickey

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 10 January 2016

Old Coot wrote: Good job Pat. I have a couple sets of old Lyman handles that split, fell off etc. Mostly I just wrapped them with twine and glued them up with epoxy. I didn't have a lathe back then. Brodie
Brodie,      These are yours. Going out soon. Made these out of some apple firewood. I like the color. Pat

Another pic.

Now that I've made about four sets of these I'm going to make some replacement sets for the large LEE mold handles that I have & also one for my LEE ingot mold. I use JB Weld to secure them even though they are a very snug fit as is. I have complete faith in the JB Weld but I also have 3/32” & 1/8” x 3/4” roll pins that I may install in the center of the ferrule. That may be overkill but I've had it with handles falling off in the middle of a casting session. Pat

Attached Files

Brodie posted this 11 January 2016

Thank You Pat, they are beautiful. Brodie

B.E.Brickey

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 12 January 2016

Old Coot wrote: Thank You Pat, they are beautiful. Brodie Went out in todays mail Brodie.

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 17 January 2016

This is one of the replacement handles that I made for saeco mold handle.

Pigslayer posted this 17 January 2016

Cnother of the Saeco handke.

Close