Powder questions

• 1.4K Views
  • Last Post 10 January 2016
bsdger45 posted this 31 December 2015

I have an old can of DuPont HI-Skor (early 1960s) not 700x or 800x.  This, I understand was a single base powder.  The  Hi Skor700X was a double base version of the same powder, (around 1965).     Somewhat confusing, DuPont powder became IMR, Hercules became Alliant, IMR is now Hodgdon.  Now I have a large drum of Alliant powder, 700, lot 3.  Not HI Skor 700x, and not Alliant 700x,  just plain Alliant 700.  What is it ?? John  

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
onondaga posted this 01 January 2016

I wouldn't mess with it If I wasn't sure with good data and my search online found nothing for Alliant 700 at all.

Try contacting Alliant, they are very nice.

Attached Files

noylj posted this 02 January 2016

I would call Hodgdon--they should have the old load data for the powders they bought the rights to. If I had any 1960 loading manuals, I would look it up.

Attached Files

bsdger45 posted this 02 January 2016

I have a call into Alliant. I have dozens of load manuals going back 3/4 of a century. None list a 700 powder (not X).It is interesting to note that one powder chart, copyright 1980 lists “Hi-Skor” in the pistol powder column and 700x in the shotgun powder column. John

Attached Files

bsdger45 posted this 02 January 2016

I will certainly use the powder.  It is no different than working with mostly unknown surplus pulled powder.  To be sure, it is much less dangerous than mixing chemicals to make ones own black powder

Attached Files

bsdger45 posted this 08 January 2016

I think that I just got the run around from the Alliant “Expert", who stated that this powder is IMR, not Alliant. That was it, nothing more. How interesting, all of the multi-color labels say Alliant, Alliant. OK, on to IMR.............or is it Hodgdon now.

I don't have 700x, so can anyone tell me if 700x has white identification grains in the powder ? John

Attached Files

mckg posted this 09 January 2016

About 55/45 grey an black with (very) few yellow ones. Through a magnifying glass there's no black showing. Mine is at least 10 years old.

A good pic here: http://thefiringline.coms/showthread.php?t=465411

Not metering well below 4 grains in a LEE Auto-Disk is an other trademark :).

Attached Files

noylj posted this 10 January 2016

If you have DuPont Hi-Skor, then Hodgdon should be your first choice. Now, my research says that Hi-Skor became Hi-Skor 700X, so I would start at 700X starting charges (or drop them a bit). I don't care how you try to match kernels, it doesn't work well enough (particularly when manufacturer's make small changes to match their specifications for a powder over time).

Attached Files

bsdger45 posted this 10 January 2016

Thanks for your reply, Noylj, and yes, you confirm what I stated in my first post, that Dupont Hi-Skor, a single base powder became Hi-Skor 700X, a double base powder. I use the Hi-Skor and the 700 (not X) without problem. I am not seeking loading data, but rather just trying to unravel the mystery in the labeling, and the 700 number without the “X". It is even more interesting now that Alliant has denied the powder, while their multi color Alliant labels are plastered all over the keg. And NO, I am not trying to “match kernels", however, the colored grains were put in powders for the purpose of identification, as in “Red Dot", & “Blue Dot” and the “700” has white grains, not the bright yellow as seen in the link supplied by mckg, (thanks, mckg). If you are of a bent for more research, research “Alliant 700", without the X. Thanks, John

Attached Files

mckg posted this 10 January 2016

Don Zutz wrote, in Propellant Profiles, that 700-X was “lightly sprinkled with a few white particles". It is an old article; I only have a photocopy of the first page, showing metal 1 and 5 pounder Du Pont cans.

Attached Files

bsdger45 posted this 10 January 2016

Very interesting information, mckg, Thanks.

Attached Files

Close