RCBS Chargemaster Combo

• 1.1K Views
  • Last Post 06 January 2016
mike morrison posted this 01 January 2016

I have a RCBS Chargemaster Combo that I have had for about 12 years. It has served me well. Recently it started not dispencing to the amount put in. It was about three grains short. This amount reguardless of the amount entered. A call to RCBS and visit with the person who takes the calls suggest that it is the electronic scale we tried several ;things and it involved several calls. Final was the scale is bad and they do not have any as new ones are coming out. seems this is a common problem. Next I have used the scale to weight charges from a beam scale and it is dead on. I think the problem is in the dispencing or the communication from the charger and the scale.Looking for any info if anyone has had/resolved this problem or a way/place to check it out. If it can be fixed reasonable would be my first choice. New ones are pricy. Help.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Brodie posted this 01 January 2016

Mike, I do not have a chargemaster, but I think that you are spot on about where the problem is.  If it were mine I would call RCBS again and tell them what you have related here.  If they will not repair or replace the chargemaster then I would either run some kind of solvent, blow air into the works or just set the weights to 3gr. above what I want.  As a last resort find a way to break in (non destructively) and clean the guts well.  My worry about just setting the weight 3gr. heavy would be if it ever starts delivering what you ordered again. Brodie

B.E.Brickey

Attached Files

mike morrison posted this 02 January 2016

Brodie, One of the suggestions from RCBS was to use canned air like for a computer and blow out the area where the weight pan is. I did this to no satisfaction. I'm thinking some of the grease used on electrical fittings to put on the connectors where they plug together. If that fails I will call RCBS go over the discussion again. thanks for your thoughts

Attached Files

corerf posted this 02 January 2016

There's a relay involved, I'm fairly certain. There should be a simple microcontroller with a digital output that goes hi/low to control the relay which then controls the screw drive motor or whatever feeds the powder.

I could be wrong and it's an infinite stepper driven direct from uC but unlikely since a clog would/could jam the stepper and then fry the uC output so again, back to a small merc doped reed relay or dry relay. When that relay gets weak in spring tension the system may delay feeding cutoff, I forgot if the weight was under or over, I took a drive with fam before I finished this message.

I'll bet a donut a small relay has petered out and is sluggish.

There could be a problem with the analog input on th uC from the strain gauge under the scale. It's output gets amplified either at or before the uC and that is the issue of apparent mid-calibration only affecting the motorized charge and not the actual scale performance.

See if rcbs will offer a schematic!!!! Twist the right arm there. I'm interested in seeing the design.

Attached Files

mike morrison posted this 02 January 2016

corerf, you are so far over my head. wow what can I say. electronics is way above my meger understanding. hope rcbs cand sipner it.

Attached Files

corerf posted this 02 January 2016

I know your response was not asking for more info..... But this might help you find the problem.

Scale has a thingy that when bent changes a voltage. That voltage is very small and gets amplifed( the change) and sent to a microcontroller ( a tiny PC). The PC has logic inputs, 1&0 type, and also analog input (the scale thingy voltage).

You set a charge weight, machine starts dumping powder mechanically. The uC (PC) watches for the voltage from the gauge in the scale to reflect the correct change equaling the weight you chose. uC then says STOP to the motor dumping the powder.

So if the gauge is messed up then he scale will be off. You don't have that. If the signal from gauge (voltage) is not amplified correct the uC doesn't stop motor in time to get correct weight.

If uC gets it all correct, since it's a weeny part with no power handling ability typically, it needs to signal a relay to do the motor control work. Or it sends a go/stop signal to a stepper motor, a motor that moves incrementally with pulses from a controller. Pulses stop, motor stops, pulses continue, motor continues.

If it's a relay then the relay can get sluggish and take many milliseconds to switch and that would continue to dump powder when it should have stopped. If it's a stepper then the stepper motor may be crapping out, if it gets 10 pulses, it only moves 5 times, your 5 intervals short. But it's a feedback loop. The control keeps the motor running until the scale hits the right weight. So the issue must be with the feedback circuit from scale to dispenser. The scale “stop” signal is not being acknowledged in time to arrive at the right weight.

That's a layman a term breakdown of closed loop controls.

If the scale weighs correct then the scale is not typically at fault since there should only be one strain gauge for the scale and it's readout is fed by the same gauge that the dispenser gets signal from. If the scale readout is what is programmed for a charge weight, then the relay sending power to the dispenser may be stuck on or sluggish, making timely starts and stops impossible. He scale thinks all is well, dispenser just does what it's told. Neither can call back granules so it'sade a mistake that it can't take back.

As you look at the devices, maybe the control loop description will help isolate the error. If rcbs will offer a schematic, I'd like to see it, it will direct the very narrow few pints that could cause the error. Since they don't do repairs, it's all electrical and if component level then can be fixed. If it's a one off proprietary ASIC (application specific integrated circuit) uC they developed, then the chip doing all this is difficult or impossible to obtain. But usually it's NOT a chip, it's a supporting device like a transistor or relay or even a simple pull down resistor that stops the works!

Just remember it's unlikely that rcbs developed this, it's Chinese and Chinese use cheap sundry ICs wherever possible to keep coat down. ASIC are very expensive to build and payback on an asic needs many millions in production usually. I don't know how many of these scales have been sold. I doubt “many millions".

The tweaker ( not the meth head) in me is desirous of a repair! For the sake of the tweak! Sent by phone, forgive typos

Attached Files

billglaze posted this 02 January 2016

Mike:What coreref said is, I believe, spot on.  I have a Lyman dispensing scale, and it has been a great help in that, loading 10 rounds at a time, and thenchanging powder type and charge weight, I'd be spending half my life with a manual trickler (which I also own) or trying to adjust my Lyman 55 measure.  However, the fly in the ointment is that the dispenser stops .1 gr short of what ir's set for.  So, as a quick-and-dirty fix, I just set it .1 gr. heavy.  For this small amount, it is very consistent.  For 3 gr. I'm not sure.  If your scale works O.K., you can probably do some kind of a work-around, until you can solve the problem. Bill

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is. My fate is not entirely in Gods hands, if I have a weapon in mine.

Attached Files

gpidaho posted this 02 January 2016

Mike: I bought a RCBS Chargemaster when thy first came out.  The ones originally made by Pact. It was very accurate but painfully SLOW.  After about a year of use the gears on the dispenser began to growl and lock up. I sent it back to RCBS for repair and was sent a new one free of charge. They explained there had been problems and stated the replacement was guaranteed for six months. After a year or so it too failed.  Shortly after the electronic scale quit calibrating. Next my RCBS case prep centers gears began to howl and do to this day. I now just use it to clean primer pockets. In all, I've had good luck with the mechanical products from RCBS Presses, powder throwers and case trimmer.  Of all the RCBS dies on my shelf only one has given me problems, a 25-06 neck die that the neck is not concentric with the body.  I've gone over to the Redding camp. FWIW  Gp

Attached Files

Pentz posted this 03 January 2016

Enforcer powder gummed up my chargemaster; my family lives in Oroville and I dropped it by during a visit. They exchanged it without issue. I've always had good luck with them, and good service.

Attached Files

DukeInFlorida posted this 05 January 2016

Just keep ion mind that none of the reloading equipment manufacturers have an electronic scale manufacturing department. They purchase all of them, typically from overseas.

I had an older chargemaster scale that was made by Pact, and was so old that RCBS didn't want to stand behind it at all. Into the trash heap it went.

Attached Files

Brodie posted this 06 January 2016

Mike, I am truly sorry to hear about the problems that you and others have had with the Chargemaster scales.  Personally I would never buy one or any like it.  I found out a long time ago that I could throw very accurate charges with a hand operated measure (mine is an old SAECO), and that I could easily adjust the measure to throw a new charge.  Maybe it has been my time in the lab, or the time I spent on the water, but I have seen just about every thing possible fail in one way or another.  For example, when I was guiding I saw a single shot shot gun fail because the owner had taken it into the bunk house and moisture or oil had accumulated over the firing pin and when he wen to shoot the next morning it just went CLICK.  The thought of my powder charges  being out of my control and subject to electronic whim makes me shudder.  I guess it may just be my distrust of most gizmos, but it is the way I am.  I hope things work out for you and that people like coref, pig slayer, and bilglaze can point you in the right direction, but I will stick to the simplest equipment I can comfortably get away with. Brodie

B.E.Brickey

Attached Files

Close