New caster in Montana

• Last Post 08 January 2016
dropkick posted this 05 January 2016

Hello,

I haven't cast bullets yet, though long ago I did cast some custom sinkers for fishing, also I've sized and lubed cast bullets so I have an extremely basic experience set.

It might actually approach spring before I do cast any bullets, as I screwed up and left my casting equipment and much of my loading equipment up in the mountains.  And they are now covered in snow and ice.

The road up to my land is somewhat difficult when it's dry, and it's very difficult to get up when it has any lubricant on it (even a heavy rain makes it difficult). Plus for most of the road you definitely don't want to slide off, as while it would be exciting ride to the bottom, it would likely be your last.

I was setting up a loading/casting area up there (I live there in the spring/summer/fall - someday I plan to be there year round). I planned to bring down my equipment before the roads got too bad, but screwed up and was down below when the weather turned (I also cleverly left my tire chains up there). - I'm still planning to go back up someday soon, but I may be forced to park at the bottom and walk to the top, which would limit what I bring out (I also have some mobility issues -wrecked knees, and I use a cane- so I'm not hauling much up or down the hill besides myself).

Anyway enough whining from me.

I'm joining this forum in order to get a more complete knowledge on what I'll need to do once I do start casting. I feel that I have a fairly good idea about what will be involved from watching some Youtube videos, reading the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook, and other sources.  But I know that I'll likely run into unforeseen problems when I actually start casting. So I'm still trying to learn anything I can.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 05 January 2016

welcome to the group ... please ask as many questions as you can think up ... you will find a very helpful gang here, with a wide variety of interests and experience .

there is a very large library of old posts here ... searchable ... probably enough for a long winter's reading ...

lately we have been discussing why ... with most commercial molds and a decent deer rifle ... can we almost be certain that our groups will be 2 to 4 moa ...

so when you start casting and find your groups in that range, ... ta daa !!! ... you are doing just real good ...

the fun part is that , like the carrot hanging just in front of the donkey ... we have a feeling that the smaller group is just a small step in front of us !!!

also, enjoy your description of your adventures up and down the hills ...

ken

Attached Files

tlkeizer posted this 06 January 2016

Greetings,

Welcome to the forum. I have found it very informative and entertaining, especially with some of the in-depth studies and work. Much of the nitty-gritty I cannot duplicate, but for every day shooting I find a lot of validity in my shooting compared to others (both in my successes and failures).

TK

Attached Files

Westhoff posted this 07 January 2016

Another welcome to the forum. Most all of us have something to contribute - and 'most all of us are also still learning. Think you'll like it here.

By the way, I'm wondering where in Montana you're located. We lived in Thompson Falls (County seat of Sanders County) back in '57 when I was working on construction of Noxon Rapids Dam. Beautiful country, and fantastic hunting and fishing.

Wes

Attached Files

dropkick posted this 08 January 2016

I'm familiar with Thompson Falls and Noxon (and for that matter I've been through Eatonville - I think I stopped at a cafe there several years ago - stuck in my head “I was eatin' in Eatonville").

I'm in Stevensville right now. (The 1st town in Montana. motto: “Where Montana began".) It's roughly halfway between Missoula and Hamilton.

However my actual residence is in the Bitteroot Mountains past Conner (approx. 30 miles south of Hamilton).

Where I live used to be much prettier, but in 2000 all the trees burnt down and the elk ate most of those that were planted afterwards. - It's still fairly nice though, (getting better every year) and I'll take it over living in town any day.

Attached Files

Close