Loading 45 ACP match ammunition

• 2.4K Views
  • Last Post 24 February 2017
Eutectic posted this 08 January 2016

Loading 45 ACP match ammo with cast bullets takes some extra care, but the results are worth the effort. This is what I found works in 40 years of putting holes close together on paper, one handed in all kinds of weather. Thinking back, it was crazy, and frustrating, but the challenge was fun. I am still looking to improve the loads, but have given up on improving the shooter he is getting old and the arm shakes way to much.   View PDF
Steve Hurst 

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
358156hp posted this 16 January 2016

A very nice dissertation Steve. Thank you for sharing your experience with us!

Attached Files

ericp posted this 17 January 2016

Great write up. That one is getting printed out for the binder.

Eric

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 17 January 2016

I saved a copy, too. Well written and worth your effort. Thank you, Ric

Attached Files

Dale53 posted this 17 January 2016

Eutectic; Nicely done article. It is now in my permanent pdf file.

Thanks for sharing.

Dale53

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 18 January 2016

Steve,

This is one of the very best articles on this subject which I have ever read. It picks up where Col. E.H. Harrison's treatise in American Rifleman left off and updates the information, components and techniques to the modern era.

PLEASE email this one to Glen Latham to be published in The Fouling Shot. It deserves much wider distribution than it will receive buried here on the forum.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 18 January 2016

Second that! Never enough pistol articles.

Attached Files

billwnr posted this 18 January 2016

I think we need one for .38 Spl's now.

Attached Files

99 Strajght posted this 19 January 2016

I would like to see one on the 40 S&W for USPSA shooting.

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 20 January 2016

There were a series of articles on .38 Special in past issues.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 20 January 2016

Great info. I printed it out to keep. It raised a question in my head re. the standard of accuracy to expect. The essay states that with a Ransom Rest or maybe with an optic 2” at 50 yds. is about right. What would this translate to shooting iron sights off bags? Is 5” at 50 yds. good?

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 20 January 2016

My experience has been that I could hand hold off sandbags and do about as well at 25 yards as the Ransom Rest would do at 50. If I sandbag 4-5” groups at 50 yards with iron sights I'm pretty happy. With a 7-1/2” revolver, iron sights and a good load I can manage 5 hits out of 6 at 100 yards on a 12-inch gong. Younger eyes can do better.

Attached Files

Eutectic posted this 25 January 2016

I could do under 3 inches with a scope, being very careful about parallax. Another inch if I used a dot sight. I used irons or a dot sight in competition. The scope was to hard for me to manage offhand. Other shooters used scopes, but they were in the minority. The field of view in a scope is small and hard to get back on target in rapid fire. Dot sights were most common, lighter easier to use.

Attached Files

SUPERKNUCK posted this 31 March 2016

Thanks Steve, very well written for plinking,target or defensive loading. Gives me many thoughts on my work up to actual loading.Also helps dispel a bunch of myths I've had. Please keep up the great writing. Randall

Attached Files

M3 Mitch posted this 04 June 2016

I read this in the latest Fouling Shot, a very good article with a lot to think about.

I have to wonder how much of this can be generalized to other calibers? Even to rifles?

Attached Files

OU812 posted this 04 June 2016

I always wanted a Colt 1911 chambered in 9mm. Less of a lead hog and more challenging to cast and load...there is a sweet spot.

Attached Files

David Reiss posted this 15 February 2017

The pdf is in the original post.

David Reiss - NRA Life Member & PSC Range Member Retired Police Firearms Instructor/Armorer
-Services: Wars Fought, Uprisings Quelled, Bars Emptied, Revolutions Started, Tigers Tamed, Assassinations Plotted, Women Seduced, Governments Run, Gun Appraisals, Lost Treasure Found.
- Also deal in: Land, Banjos, Nails, Firearms, Manure, Fly Swatters, Used Cars, Whisky, Racing Forms, Rare Antiquities, Lead, Used Keyboard Keys, Good Dogs, Pith Helmets & Zulu Headdresses. .

Attached Files

RedHawk357Mag posted this 23 February 2017

Thanks for making this happen.   Much appreciated.

Attached Files

10Speed posted this 24 February 2017

Fine article.  Thanks for making it available.

Attached Files

Close