New to 35 Remington

• 2K Views
  • Last Post 21 May 2017
john.dejarnette posted this 11 January 2016

Friends Looking for advice on what brass to use with 35 Remington. Also if anyone knows who makes Hornady brass for this caliber and what quality it might be.  I am completely new to this caliber. I bought a used Marlin 336 on a lark. Will use it for deer on our small place. Exclusively with cast bullets.  Brass is hard to come by for this caliber. I have had poor luck with Federal brAss in all rifle calibers.  Thanks for your help PS, if there are pet loads I would certainly be interested.  ThanksJohn 

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
admiral posted this 11 January 2016

I have found that W-W, R-P, or Federal brass (in 35 Rem) all give about the same case life at full power, about 3 firings. I've had some cases get 5-6 firings but that is the exception. Loose primer pockets and neck splits are the norm after an average of 3 firings. I think in low intensity rounds the manufacturers use just enough material for the initial firing for complete safety. After that why would they care? I have 3 rifles in 35 Rem: a 336, Rem 81, & Rem 141. I have 130 once fired brass that are sitting in the cabinet if interested. My go to powder is Reloder 7. I use 30.0 grs. with either an Accurate 35-210B or a LBT 35-210 LCFN. Both are 210 gr. weight and sized .361"

Attached Files

gpidaho posted this 11 January 2016

John: Matt Overadge (Grumpa @ Boolits) reforms 35 Rem from LC 308 brass and does a very nice job of it, also reasonably priced. I've bought some and have loaded them several times for my 35 Handi rifle with no sign of them giving out. 35Rem is one of my favorite cast bullet calibers. Gp

Attached Files

gpidaho posted this 11 January 2016

John: Here's a couple of fun plinking-pest loads for the 35Rem. You should load them one in the chamber-one in the tube on your lever gun. The Lee 356-125-2R with TiteGroup @ 7.5gr Av 1516fps Sd 10 The Lee TL356-124-R with 6.5gr TiteGroup Av 1406 Sd 8. Just about any 9mm pistol bullet makes great little plinking rounds out of my Handi rifle. Gp

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 11 January 2016

Don't pass up any .35 Rem. brass. Also, there's a guy here who may still have some to sell. Let's see if he pops up.

Attached Files

john.dejarnette posted this 12 January 2016

Thanks to all. This is very helpful

Attached Files

john.dejarnette posted this 12 January 2016

Reformed cases from 308 sounds like a good option. I will try to track him down

Attached Files

GRUMPA posted this 13 January 2016

The ones I do hold up a lot longer than what factory brass has to offer. These take a tremendous amount of time and effort to do. Here's a link to my main hang out, just click on the 35Rem thread, in there is yet another link to a thread I created on what it takes to do those.

http://castboolits.gunloads.comdisplay.php?117-Grumpa

Attached Files

john.dejarnette posted this 14 January 2016

Thanks Grumpa. That brass looks like it will fill the need.

Nice place you have out there. Nearly perfect based on what you posted.

I will send you a PM for some brass.

Thanks John

Attached Files

wallacem posted this 21 May 2017

I use Grumpa's brass. recommend it highly.  Wallacem in Ga

Attached Files

Close