Kapok...?

• Last Post 30 January 2016
Notlwonk posted this 27 January 2016

Any body still using Kapok? Just wondering, seems like the discussions center around COW and various composite materials.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
gnoahhh posted this 27 January 2016

I still use it, on the rare occasions I employ a filler. I rescued an ancient life preserver out of a dumpster 15 or so years ago which provided me with enough kapok for three lifetimes.

Attached Files

waksupi posted this 28 January 2016

If you use it, this is the perfect time of year to collect it. Go find some cattail seed heads, dry them out, and strip them from the stem.

Attached Files

Notlwonk posted this 29 January 2016

I'm in the same boat as gnoahhh, Found a ratty life preserver and now have a substantial supply. The reason I asked is that I don't recall hearing about anyone using it lately.

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 29 January 2016

I was boarded by the Coast Guard while sailing on SF Bay 20 yrs. ago. They were very unhappy about the old life jackets I had on the boys. I thought the old jackets went well with my old wood boat. They said “Get something that really floats.” But, no ticket. I chucked the preservers. Now I wish I didn't.

Attached Files

Brodie posted this 29 January 2016

tturner, I would look for yard sales, and Sea Scouts.  Both tend to have a lot of old left over stuff that can be useful when utilized in ways other than the original intention.

B.E.Brickey

Attached Files

John Alexander posted this 29 January 2016

My younger brother learned to swim by swimming every day in a kapok pfd that got heavier and heavier until he was holding it up.  So those old jackets are good for more than filler. John

Attached Files

Brodie posted this 30 January 2016

CBA Member I was boarded by the Coast Guard while sailing on SF Bay 20 yrs. ago. They were very unhappy about the old life jackets I had on the boys. I thought the old jackets went well with my old wood boat. They said “Get something that really floats.” But, no ticket. I chucked the preservers. Now I wish I didn't.

Personally I always have thought of PFD'S as something other than a fashion statement. Brodie

B.E.Brickey

Attached Files

Close