Pan lubing

• Last Post 02 February 2016
45ACPete posted this 31 January 2016

Fine article in the Fouling Shot on pan lubing by Ed Harris, as usual--very clear and informative.  But Ed, does this mean that you've gotten away from your former recommended lube formula of 4:1 Beeswax/ATF?  That's what I've been using for a couple of years, both for pan lubing and in the lube-sizer.  However, even in a Teflon coated cake pan, (or maybe because it is Teflon coated) I cannot get the cake to release from the pan.  My technique is to pull the bullets from the cake with a toothed hemostat.  If done at the right time--when the cake is good and solid but still slightly warm--the bullets release easily and there is barely a tooth mark on the bullet ogive.  

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
mckg posted this 31 January 2016

Try a flexible pan, like Chinese/Indian made stove plate covers (sets of 4 can be found in Dollar Stores).

You can also line yours with thick aluminum foil.

Attached Files

rmrix posted this 02 February 2016

45ACPete wrote:  However, even in a Teflon coated cake pan, (or maybe because it is Teflon coated) I cannot get the cake to release from the pan. Consider putting the sticking pan of lube in the freezer. The lube cake will shrink and release from the pan. 15-20 minutes should do it.

With the right kind of lube the bullets can be pushed out the bottom of the cake. Put the cake with bullets in it hanging one row of bullets at a time over the edge of the work table. Push out each bullet with one hand into your other hand. Some lube formula are better for this than others.

You might need to find the correct temperature for best outcome. 

Attached Files

Close