Lee 2 cavity vs 6 cavity

• 1.6K Views
  • Last Post 09 February 2016
cbshtr posted this 07 February 2016

I'm pretty sure this may have been covered in the past but I'm curious about the mold quality differences between the 2 and 6 cavity Lee molds. I remember that the old style 2 cavity molds were of a softer aluminum than the 6 cavity. With the recent addition of the new style 2 cavity I was wondering what your opinions are of those molds and are they up to the quality of the bigger molds. As hard as I tried I would end up scouring the the old style 2 cavity molds. I have used a NEI mold and I guess the aluminum was so hard it was like using a steel mold, no worries.  The reason I bring this up is I noticed they now offer the 22 Bator and 358-200fn molds in both configurations and am trying to figure out which style to pursue. I know I could always go with one of the custom makers and get a really good mold but available finances put a damper on that route. Thanks in advance. 

Robert Homan

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
tturner53 posted this 07 February 2016

My most recent 2 cavity molds are on a par with the 6 cavity, quality wise. Pretty good deal. There's a multi-part 'youtube” video about the new Lee 358-200-RF. Interesting stuff.

Attached Files

onondaga posted this 07 February 2016

http://www.castbulletassoc.org/view_user.php?id=497>cbshtr

Lee mold quality has significantly improved since they changed to the pin/sleeve centering on 1 and 2 cavity molds.

Previously only their best most experienced workers made Lee 6 cavity molds and that is still the same. 6  cavity molds show the best quality you will get from Lee.

That doesn't make the 6 cavity molds easier to use.  If you are new to any 6 cavity molds. I hope you get used to them better than I did.

I cast over 50 years with 1 and 2 cavity molds and then tried 6 cavity Lee molds about 6 years ago.  The thermodynamics and casting cadence are completely different and they were seriously difficult for me to master and get good results. You gotta run hotter and the timing is much more critical.

Now I can run 6 cavities just fine and also cast fine with the buckshot molds too. The transition was not easy for me and I am a retired casting analyst and casting instructor from a gold refinery education department.

Gary

Attached Files

Brodie posted this 07 February 2016

My sole complaint about Lee 6 cavity molds is the sprue cutter handle.  I have only had one of these break, but what in the devil did they make those handles out of.  The handles appear to be steel, but why would it crystallize and shatter like that?  Anyway, that is my sole criticism of Lee 6 cavity moulds  other than that I feel they are probably the best bargain in bullet casting today. Brodie

B.E.Brickey

Attached Files

Westhoff posted this 07 February 2016

Never having used Lee molds I can't comment on their quality, but I can give my opinion re one or two cavity molds vs. multi-cavity molds.

Back when I was shooting Bullseye Pistol competition, I used multi-cavity molds (4 cavity) for most of my bullet casting. I visually inspected the bullets only, and loaded them irrespective of their mold position. I did pretty well with those bullets.

Now I'm shooting Issue Military Rifle and Production Rifle classes. I like single cavity molds (only have a couple) and when I use two cavity molds, bullets are segregated with regards to cavity. All bullets that pass visual inspection are also weight segregated to =/- 0.25 grains.

What's the difference? Standing on my hind legs and shooting a pistol one handed at a maximum range of 50 yards, minor differences in bullet weight were about the least of my worries compared to shaky hands, slight foot placement changes and a lot of other things that opened up groups a lot more than tiny differences in my cast bullets.

Bench rest shooting at 100, 200 and 300 yards is a whole 'nother ball game. Most all those things that contributed to wild shots with the pistol are taken care of when I'm shooting off the bench, and tiny differences - bullet to bullet - become very important.

Conclusion? Multi-cavity molds are fine for Pistol competition at a maximum range of 50 yards. For bench rest rifle competition, I'll stick with 1 or 2 cavity molds

Wes

Attached Files

cbshtr posted this 08 February 2016

I started watching the video series. Seeing the dimensions are at .358 or less has me nervous since I need about .360 for my Marlin 35 Rem.

Robert Homan

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 08 February 2016

My double cavity drops them right at .358 using ww + 1%. Haven't tried them yet. I am also thinking of my 336 .35 Rem. but do already have a Ranch Dog mold for that. It's a shooter. My 1894 .357 is picky about long noses. My thought was this Lee bullet may work better in the .357 carbine and/or some revolvers.

Attached Files

gpidaho posted this 08 February 2016

I was disappointed when I received my six cavity Lee 358-200-RF. I bought this mould for use with three different rifles, a 35Rem Handi, a 357 Handi and a Ruger 77-357. It drops bullets at .359+ with my alloy but out of round enough that when sizing to .358 no sizing occurs on about half the bullet and sizing extends a little ways up on the nose on the other side. To try and make the best of this (Not worth the trouble to send it back) I first size the bullets to .358 and powder coat them, then I size them once again through the .358 size die. Most likely not the best bullet for my rifles but I find it works well when loaded in 38spl brass and fired out of my Ruger 357 GP100 revolver. Gp

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 08 February 2016

gpidaho,

I feel for you, really. I did this several times trying to get a bullet for my 357 S&W martini. I just wanted a fp 200 grain bullet that would “turn the corner” in the little Martini action. After buying a Lyman, and RCBS and finally a SAECO, I had Mountain Molds make one that fit exactly. I would have been better off to start there. Luckily the three now used moulds bought enough on EBay to pay for the custom one. Plus, that bullet ended up being the best light plain based bullets in the 35 Whelan and the 358 Norma Maggie. Now you a useless mould and are still looking for bullet for your 357 bores.

FWIW, Ric

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 09 February 2016

I made up a dummy round with the Lee 358-200RF in a .357 case. Too long oal. About 1.75". Next I'll try it in the .38 Special brass and of course the .35 Rem. At .358 it is a nice 'push' fit in my Ruger Security Six.

Attached Files

cbshtr posted this 09 February 2016

Still undecided what to do. If I have to lap out a mold I would rather do 2 than 6. After making runs of molds for Ranch Dog you would think that Lee would run their molds on the bigger side since it's so much easier to size down than to try to bump up. Been looking at the NOE molds which are super nice but for less than $20 and some time and effort I could probably get a mold to work. If funds were a little better the NOE would be a no brainer.

Robert Homan

Attached Files

Close