NOE push through nose sizing update

• 1.3K Views
  • Last Post 28 February 2016
R. Dupraz posted this 12 February 2016

When I first saw the new NOE push through sizer with the additional nose size feature, I thought that this was the “cat's meow". Particularly being able to nose size which was most interesting to me. However after wondering where the excess lead went when sizing the nose and reading another members thread while looking at his photos, I wasn't so sure. The pictures showed that when using the nose sizing feature, the die shaved the nose and pushed the excess lead down against the first driving band. Sort of a flower effect. Basically no good. And he reported that it took some effort.                  I am presently fitting the RCBS 7MM-145-SIL to the bore of a TC contender pistol 7-30 Waters. I fortunately got a good one. The mold drops a bullet with base bands just a tad larger than the throat slug and the nose is a little large for the  bore. So decided to take a chance with the NOE push through anyway to see if it could be made to work. Got it today with a .285” band and a .275 nose bushing.                  First try was exactly like the member wrote and the bullet came out looking like his photo with that ring of debris at the front of the first driving band. And it took some major effort on the press handle. Even after lubeing.  Pretty much useless.              The diameters that I needed were Bands - .285” and nose - .275". As dropped nose was .278". So was coming down some. The bands were sized first while seating a GC and they came out on the money at .285".                  I Chucked the nose bushing up in my lathe and first beveled the entry as much as I could with a bit, Then used a “cone” stone in the Dremel to put a very very slight short taper into the bottom of the nose sizer. Finally blended all together and polished with a couple Cratex wheels in the Dremel.                  Tried sizing the nose of another bullet. Again lubed with STP, only a little more this time. Very little effort and the front of the first driving band bumped up against the bottom of the bushing for a stop. The nose was sized perfectly and on the nuts at .275". The length of the bullet also grew by .006"                      

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
OU812 posted this 13 February 2016

Was extraction easy using matching nose punch?

Please let use know if it shoots better.

I like a 7mm, but the standard 1-9 twist seems much too fast for short cast bullets.

Attached Files

R. Dupraz posted this 13 February 2016

My Saeco sizer uses threaded nose punches which Won't work with the NOE set. I just used a small wooden dowel rod to easily tap the bullets back out.

Attached Files

R. Dupraz posted this 28 February 2016

After first seating the gas check and sizing the base of the bullet, then running the nose up into the nose bushing, I found that aligning the bullet nose by just setting the checked base on the push pin each time was pretty iffy. So I made a sleeve that is just a slip fit over the pin and slightly longer. Then fitted the already checked and sized base of a 7mm bullet inside the excess part of the sleeve. Just drop the checked and sized bullet in. Perfect nose alignment every time.  

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 28 February 2016

Nice accessory! Hope your weather is good this week so you can try them out.

Attached Files

R. Dupraz posted this 28 February 2016

This bullet is from an RCBS 7mm-145-SIL mold that I have been shooting in a super 14 7-30 Waters bull barrel for my Contender pistol. After being able to spend some range time off and on for the last month and trying a long list of things, not the least of which the ablity to adjust the nose diameter, 1/2” five shotters have been showing up at fifty yds with some regularity amongst all those that are not.

So after about 150-200 rnds fired so far, I am in the verify mode at present and am more convinced than ever that “details” do matter when shooting cast. And bench technique is right at the top of the list.

Attached Files

Close