.223 Powder Coat Group Test

• Last Post 20 February 2016
Newt posted this 17 February 2016

As promised, here is a picture of the latest test I performed.  There will be more coming but here you can see what just plain powder coat is capable of.

Just in case your curious, there are two shots on there that were way outside the group because they were a different load.  I just used them to foul/warm the barrel.  When testing I have a habit of trying to save paper and shoot even my fouling shots onto the same target I am doing for groups.  I note the bullet holes in my notes for those shots.  I find it interesting to see where they hit in relation to the rest anyways.

The average speed of this load is 2050 fps.  The 10 shot group measures right at 1.5"

Not the best I have ever done, but I have been fiddling around with the receiver screws on this gun and finding they make a big difference not only in group size but POI.  Of course, I have never shot a full 10 shot group either, only 5 shot groups.  I do know that after 5 shots, when I reloaded my mag, I moved the placement of the gun on the bags.  The next shots were in the white.  I really think that I have a touchy barrel harmonic thing going on.  I'll be doing some work in this area soon.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes

This is at 100 yards, forgot to add

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 17 February 2016

Newt what is the load please Jim

Attached Files

Using the RCBS 22-55-SP sized to ~.2255"

8gr Unique

I did find that out of the two expanders I got, I get better groups with the smaller one. They are M type ones, and the smaller one is .222"x.226” The larger one is .224"x.228". So obviously it likes a tighter neck.

OAL is 2.170” which is pushing the bullet into the lands pretty hard, I cant seat out any further without the bolt being too hard to close. This is where the gas check just is barley inside the neck, but I think that some of the rounds it goes on past. I wish I had one of those nose sizers to squeeze the nose down a little and let me seat out a tad further.

I'm going to hopefully get a chance to try the load at 200 yards this evening. Should be interesting to see what happens.

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 17 February 2016

Good stuff. Thanks

Attached Files

gpidaho posted this 17 February 2016

Newt: I too am going to purchase the nose sizing equipment. Some of my bore riding bullets are too tight when I powder coat them. I have 30cal. rifles that are all over the place between .299 and .306 would be nice to just get a few bushings and fit each one. Gp

Attached Files

Newt posted this 18 February 2016

Shot at 200 yards last night.  It was a tad breezy, but I did my best to try and hold shots off between gusts.  I find the target very interesting.

One thing I did not mention before is that there is nothing special I have done to these rounds.  By that I mean the bullets are not weight sorted, neither are the cases.  I am pretty sure they all have the same case length, but they never grow so I quit checking.  

I am fixing to pillar/bed this gun.  I've come to the conclusion that I need to eliminate that as a variable from some different tests I've done.  But before I do that I am going to take some time and sort bullets by weight, and also the cases.  I'd like to see what it will do after thats done.  Then again after the work on the gun.

Attached Files

Newt posted this 18 February 2016

I apologize for the sideways pictures. I am not sure why they are doing that. The splatter cuts on the target were from the steel gong hanging to the left of the target. I took a shot at it so I could see how the wind was blowing since I can see hits easy.

Attached Files

mtngun posted this 19 February 2016

Thanks for sharing your data, Newt. Data is always a good thing. :)

Attached Files

codarnall posted this 19 February 2016

Out of nowhere came a photo and the 5.56 holes on targets at 50 yards. The shooter indicated the test were conducted with lubed bullets, and the powder coated bullets. Telephonically he cleared up the notion of function and cycling issues were superior with the painted castings. In testing coated bullets gifted to me I find so far feeding problems were eliminated. I have been conducting every test I can think of and the PC bullets show great promise. Some of the tests that I have not been able to do are extreme velocity tests where at some point I would expect to see key-holing. Richard W. has shipped me thousands of coated bullets to experiment with. We hope to post experimental result and observations in the coming weeks. -Charlie

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 20 February 2016

go for it charlie ... them powder coats has to work !!

hey newt .... pm me if you need custom pillars cut ... i got a ton of stock left over ...need id, od, y length . about 0.020 too long is a good idea .

ken

Attached Files

Close