• Last Post 21 March 2016
Eutectic posted this 26 February 2016

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
DBW posted this 21 March 2016

Thanks, its a beauty.....DBW

Attached Files

MarkinEllensburg posted this 21 March 2016

DBW wrote: Beautiful sav. 99 stock. Where did you get it?......DBW It is Ruger No.1 stock. I'm not sure where my Dad sourced the wood but it seems likely it was from Al Biesen. Mr. Biesen roughed out several stocks for my Dad over the years with his router duplicator of his own design. I can add that to the list of things I wish I would have researched when I had the opportunity. Met Al and Roger once, and I'm thinking it was before I checkered this one, which was my best work. This picture really does not do the stock justice..... they seldom do unless a pro is taking the pics.

Attached Files

DBW posted this 20 March 2016

Beautiful sav. 99 stock. Where did you get it?......DBW

Attached Files

onondaga posted this 20 March 2016

http://www.castbulletassoc.org/view_user.php?id=4154>rmrix

My young friend with Asbergers is the same age as my closest grandson.  They are both very bright boys and share our other common hobby, Flintknapping. We all send pictures of our work back and forth. They both told me nearly the very same sentence on occasions that filled me with happiness in knowing them both. They both said they were pissed off that I am old, and then made some corny apology for saying it.

Gary

Attached Files

rmrix posted this 20 March 2016

Pigslayer wrote: I have read about Asberger's & they now call it “high functioning autism. The brain activity must be in hyper-drive or perpetual motion focusing on a narrow band of subjects or single subject.      High Intelligence Quotient can be something envied or feared by those in the normal range. It is not all it's cracked up to be by the individual possessing high scores encompassing all ten intelligence levels and can be accompanied by eclecticism . . . to the extreme. There is a very thin line between genius & insanity and can at times be like walking the edge of a razor blade.       I find the your post concerning your friend an interesting one and can only imagine the joy in him if he were able to “link up” to a computer. I think that he would need a program like “Procomm Plus” on steroids!      Thanks for your post Gary. Pat.      Hmmm, I thought I would open this thread and learn something about throwing a one grain charge accurately, time after time.

Instead I learn something else. We moved 200 miles 4 years ago to get my daughter into a better school that could better meet her needs. Eleven then, she is fifteen now. She, and we by extension, are living with high emotion and high intellect. She, by comparison is like putting a new student driver in an Indy car. Lotsa wrecks, often at high speed. 

Also, “A good friend of mine has Asberger's and his IQ is so high it can't be measured well.". Right!  Something like six standard deviations above (100) and 2E

These people see, feel and think so intently it often hurts.

Sorry for going so far off topic but you clearly know something about daily life with outlier.

Michael Rix

Attached Files

MarkinEllensburg posted this 19 March 2016

onondaga wrote: A photobucket account is an easy way to get pictures in posts on this forum. Put your photos in photobucket, then copy and drop the IMG code in your post text. It is really easy when you watch a digitally savvy kid do it. I learned from my 10 year old granddaughter when no amount of trying to figure it out on my own worked.

You cannot drag and drop images in a forum like you do word processing, you have to use IMG code on internet forums or you will post no pictures in your forum posts. This is the internet, not Microsoft Word. You have to use IMG codes.

Gary Photobucket is only good until they change their EUA or hosting agreement. Most image storing services in the past have expressly prohibited hot linking to their servers due to bandwidth costs and problems or potential for problems. The best case is when the forum you are using offers hosting, such as this one, and second best is hosting on a privately held domain that is hosted i.e. you.com hosted by GoDaddy.com. Last choice would be an image hosting service. I have seen many come and go and the resultant broken image links over the years. As a new member of CBA forums I'm not informed on their server and bandwidth limitations or our storage capacity as members on this forum and the server it resides on. I do know as an admin on another forum that I prefer that folks upload images to the forum server because they have a higer chance over time of still being attached to the thread if they are hosted where the thread is hosted. Images hosted on outside servers can change or be deleted or otherwise become not available.

If when replying  you use the reply button as opposed to the quick reply box you have the ability to upload images and host inline.

http://blackwalnutjigs.com/images/checkering/stock9.jpg

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 16 March 2016

Frank,

You have worked on this issue also, I can tell. I have modified the older brown Redding by bushing the chambers and using mics for adjustment. They are nice because they have the ball bearing / spring anti-wear mechanism, at least most of them. I originally started using the B&M for surplus 4831 and then the SR's from DuPont. The B&M's with the aluminum sliding block are useable if gotten in good condition. I coat them with graphite mold release that works well for wear reduction. And all flake powders are not the same. The thin flakes are just a pain to deal with, like Green Dot. For the range and breach seating, I use one of the old Redding “Twist Top” measures with bushing and shop made fixed measures. Works in the wind, a consideration where I live! Ric

Attached Files

frnkeore posted this 16 March 2016

B&M's are EXCELLENT. But, are also the slowest of the measures. I've used them at the range, loading at the bench but, if I use mine now, it's at home. Flake powders are a breeze with them (if in good condition), I got mine for loading 4759 and if your careful, you'll get +/- .1 gr when throwing charges of 4759. I doubt that flake would vary a total of .1 gr. This is the micrometer insert that I made for mine, I used a Redding mic thimble. It has the standard 3/8 cavity but you can make them smaller. Frank

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 16 March 2016

Yes, PROVIDED they are not so worn that the flakes get caught under the sliding block. Joe Gifford makes his own fixed weight charge cups, but the standard tube works well also.

Attached Files

John Alexander posted this 16 March 2016

Has anybody tested the old Belding and Mull to see if it will throw uniform charges of for light loads of flake powder? John

Attached Files

frnkeore posted this 16 March 2016

Tom Acheson wrote: On the subject of powder measurement, I've been loading for a .38 Special, .45 ACP and .41 Mag. using Bullseye, WW 231, Unique and SR 4756. My Redding (BR-30?) doesn't get me into repeatable “light” charge weights. So I'm slowly being converted to the RCBS Little Dandy, which is surprisingly repeatable for the low end charge weights. True, you end up with a collection of fixed capacity rotors but it seems to make sense.

FWIW.

Tom Tom,If you get the Redding “Pistol” insert for your measure, you'll have a powder capacity of 20+ gr of most powders. They have a powder chamber of 5/16". It also has a micrometer setting and is just as repeatable as the BR30. I've used one for over 30 years. This is one with a powder chamber diameter of .226, it only has a capacity of 6+ gr of B'eye. I made it for breech seating my 22rf. In testing, if I don't bump on the up stroke or down stroke, I haven't been able to get a variation of .1 gr. I made it from the older Redding micrometer measure, that has a slot of 1/2", as opposed to the later and current 3/4” wide slot. I also made a 1/2” power cavity, from the pistol cavity insert. It has a powder capacity of 35 gr. I made it for my fixed CBA loads, back in the late 80's Frank

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 06 March 2016

I have read about Asberger's & they now call it “high functioning autism. The brain activity must be in hyper-drive or perpetual motion focusing on a narrow band of subjects or single subject.      High Intelligence Quotient can be something envied or feared by those in the normal range. It is not all it's cracked up to be by the individual possessing high scores encompassing all ten intelligence levels and can be accompanied by eclecticism . . . to the extreme. There is a very thin line between genius & insanity and can at times be like walking the edge of a razor blade.       I find the your post concerning your friend an interesting one and can only imagine the joy in him if he were able to “link up” to a computer. I think that he would need a program like “Procomm Plus” on steroids!      Thanks for your post Gary. Pat.     

If someone else had of done to me what I did to myself . . . I'd have killed him. Humility is an asset. Heh - heh.

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 06 March 2016

onondaga wrote: http://www.castbulletassoc.org/view_user.php?id=97>TRK,

I'm laughing! My older brother says there is only one kind of woman....they are all the same model. He's right man.

Gary
I'm sure that they feel the same way about us. LOL Pat

If someone else had of done to me what I did to myself . . . I'd have killed him. Humility is an asset. Heh - heh.

Attached Files

onondaga posted this 06 March 2016

http://www.castbulletassoc.org/view_user.php?id=97>TRK,

I'm laughing! My older brother says there is only one kind of woman....they are all the same model. He's right man.

A good friend of mine has Asberger's and his IQ is so high it can't be measured well. He would probably have more fun than your wife of myself. He is the young man I give online video guitar lessons to and I have known about 8 years. He is in college in Texas. We are working on Maleguena, he has been playing less than a year and he gets music! His hands are catching up. As a musician, I'd call him what is known as a good “sight player". His mind linked up to an OS would wander free. I'd bet he'd feel cured of having a brain that is too busy with the room of a  good Artificial Intelligence Operating System.

That is Science Fiction transitioning stuff today but that young man is young. I believe he will make it there.

Gary

Attached Files

TRKakaCatWhisperer posted this 05 March 2016

onondaga wrote: ...

I hope I live long enough to experience a direct transcieve brain data link to an operating system. ...

Gary If my wife got that the computer would blow up!

Attached Files

Tom Acheson posted this 03 March 2016

My next powder measure purchase will be a Harrell's. Sinclair is at least one source. Not sure which model, there are possibly (5). What an inexpensive hobby we have!

Tom

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 03 March 2016

Ed, I've tried that and could not figure out a way to fill the edges of the rotor cavity. Since I'm just a hack machinist, someone well trained may have a solution to that issue. If the top of the rotor is bigger than the powder entrance hole, it doesn't fill the edges the same every time, as in 10% difference. Ric

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 03 March 2016

I also use the Little Dandy alot, I have accumulated the full set of rotors and also custom-bored a couple larger ones which will drop up to about 30 grains of RL7 for my common cast bullet rifle loads.

I would like to find somebody who can make me a rotor of free machining brass to drop 36+/- grains of 3Fg black for the .45 Colt and .44-40 and a longer 6” drop tube would be nice too.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 03 March 2016

Tom,

Since I travel in my 5th Wheel a lot, the Little Dandy has been very well used. They other is the older brass and cast iron Pacific pistol measures. They take a standard size of brass that I can turn out rotors for easily on the lathe. The Pacific well not do flake powders unless the tolerance are held closely, which some did not.

At the loading bench, the Harrell's Brothers Schuetzen measure is better than anything I have found. It will do flake powders as well as anything I have found.

HTH, Ric

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 03 March 2016

computer backup ignore if boring ..

...i use sandisk brand thumb drives ... 25 gig ( $15 ) should do it for most home users .... i make a new folder called *backup data * in my c drive, then direct all data to go there. emails, browser, downloads, photos...all in their own folders of course.

when backing up weekly, plug in sbr port, find it in c-drive, open c drive again to find original, then click and drag the original backup folder to your thumb drive and leave alone until it is done. remove thumb drive and keep in safe place.

thumb drives not perfect, so you might buy two ..but i have never lost a sandisk in 20 years . if you backup a spare ... you can carry it around and bore people with pics of your grandkids .

ken

Attached Files

Show More Posts
Close