Hunting feral hogs on Sunday.

• 4.9K Views
  • Last Post 05 April 2016
PredFan posted this 27 February 2016

I'm using my Henry Rifle in 357, they wont be cast bullets, however, I'm also carrying my 44 mag revolver and if I can get a change to shoot a pig with that, I'll take it. It has cast bullets.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Dale53 posted this 05 April 2016

PredFan; Man, that plate of biscuits and sausage gravy looks GOOD!!!

That's really “putting meat on the table"!

Thanks for sharing that great picture!

Dale53

Attached Files

tlkeizer posted this 05 April 2016

Greetings Giorgio the slim one, Using a 405 grain bullet for your 45-70, are you using modern or black powder?  And, I am curious as to how much the bullet opened up.  I had hoped to get a caribou this past year with my 45-70 trapdoor using black powder, but am still hunting though now in my daydreams until the season opens up again this fall.  The biscuits and gravy looked mighty tempting, hope they ate as well as they looked.  As of now I am limited to caribou sausage (homemade) from a caribou half I was given. TK

Attached Files

Westhoff posted this 13 March 2016

Made my mouth water all over the keyboard!

Wes

Attached Files

Brodie posted this 13 March 2016

tturner53 wrote: Thanks Giorgio! More dead pig pictures, fellas. I've hunted them for 25 years, off and on, and only got two! The pigs here avoid public land. We have millions and millions of acres of public land. They like private property. The landowners are funny about their situation. Pay to play. The illusion of pigs on public land, however, is a thriving industry. Even the fish and game plays that siren song. My neighbor bought a “pig hunting packet” at a gun show ($25) detailing good places to go, including maps. I went thru the same deal a long time ago. The Pigs in California like private land because they grow barley, rice, truck veggies, sugar beets, grapes,etc. on it.  They will run 15 mi. one way every night to feed in a good field.  The pigs are on public land as well, but it is not easily accessible public land, or you might need a pack of hounds to get the pigs out.  

Please don't take this personal tturner53 because I certainly don't mean it that way, but have you seen what SOME FEW so called hunters will or have done to private land on occasion.  You bet they want $$$.  I would too. Brodie

B.E.Brickey

Attached Files

rodwha posted this 12 March 2016

Very nice!

Attached Files

PredFan posted this 12 March 2016

Biscuits and Florida wild boar gravy.

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 07 March 2016

Thanks Giorgio! More dead pig pictures, fellas. I've hunted them for 25 years, off and on, and only got two! The pigs here avoid public land. We have millions and millions of acres of public land. They like private property. The landowners are funny about their situation. Pay to play. The illusion of pigs on public land, however, is a thriving industry. Even the fish and game plays that siren song. My neighbor bought a “pig hunting packet” at a gun show ($25) detailing good places to go, including maps. I went thru the same deal a long time ago.

Attached Files

Brodie posted this 06 March 2016

While the actual toxicity of lead can not be disputed I have found it to be the most toxic when moving from several hundred to over a 1000 fps. The Pb++ ion seems to be the most deadly under those conditions. Brodie

B.E.Brickey

Attached Files

billglaze posted this 06 March 2016

I cannot even begin to count the times I walked around for hours and hours with a goodly amount of lead bb's under my tongue.  Of course, that was during WW 2, and we didn't have an Agency telling us how poisonous it was.  Remember the Red Lead that was used on each and every pipe joint?  On every new home, and repair that included plumbing work.  My brother chewed the paint off the entire top rail of his crib;  he still won't admit he survived childhood.  Of course, my brother is an only child....... Bill

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is. My fate is not entirely in Gods hands, if I have a weapon in mine.

Attached Files

PredFan posted this 06 March 2016

Old Coot wrote: Predfan, The horror stories of lead spreading throughout a game carcass come from some rather incorrect idiots who X-rayed ground game meat.  When a white (opaque ) spot showed up on the X-ray film they erroneously  call it LEAD CONTAMINATION.  Have you ever found a chunk of bone in a hamburger?  I have.  Bone is also opaque to X-Ray.  If you are really worried about lead in your meat shoot them through the lungs.  Don't use lino type for a hunting bullet alloy (it can shatter when striking bone) and use a butcher or processor who cleans his grinder regularly.  Also don't try to get the last scrap of meat from around the bullet wound. Lead is highly over rated as a toxic contaminant.  There used to be more lead in gasoline than on the range.  All heavy metals are toxic but they require a build up over time.  Don't eat old lead paint chips.

If all the claims of lead toxicity were true many of us would have died from carrying lead sinkers and split shot in our mouths a long time ago. Brodie Don't eat paint chips, got it!;)

Attached Files

PredFan posted this 06 March 2016

Westhoff wrote: Predfan; You mentioned you were “worried about getting lead in the pork"? When I was growing up, my cousin and I and his whole family ate a lot of quail, pheasant and cottontail rabbits that had lots of lead shot in them. When we'd find some, we'd spit it out, if we didn't notice it in time we'd swallow it.

Also, it seems to me this country was settled and the west was won by a whole bunch of people who killed all of their meat with lead bullets or shot. Maybe they all died an early death.....but I've managed to make 88 and I'm still kicking. (Maybe not quite as hard as I did i my 30's.) Maybe lead's not quite so bad after all?

WesI understand Wes, but I am not willing to take the chance. Besides, someone has already told me how to use alloys and avoid the problem.

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 06 March 2016

rodwha wrote: This has nothing to do with whose deer it is. It's about a magic number that, by your account, can be ignored if it's a patched ball, but once you stretch it into a cylindrical shape it suddenly need no less than 3 times the energy to work well.  It's funny how modern handgun hunters of hogs state a hard cast wide meplat bullet is necessary in an ultra magnum platform, yet the .45 Colt can just as easily give a complete passthrough. A wide hole is a wide hole. Once it has passed through it becomes a waste.

You are the only one who has hurled insults. I've merely claimed the magic number is a myth made by modern groups selling the masses. About the only thing I could apologize for is not believing the myth. Oh, and a ball often doesn't deform beyond 50-75 yds.  I have an account there and several other gun forums but my name never changes. Out of curiosity I looked at Federal loadings and see a 438 grn 12 ga slug has 805 ft/lbs at 100 yds, and their .223 Rem 62 grn Fusion bullet has 1001 ft/lbs at the same distance. I'm guessing you'll claim the .22 cal bullet is more ethical? You obviously don't know much about Texas if you believe all the deer are small. The ones I typically hunt are no more than 125-150 lbs due to protein feeding on the neighboring ranch. But you'd be mistaken if you believe they all are. And that's not even considering the mule deer or exotics we have. I second the ignore button.

If someone else had of done to me what I did to myself . . . I'd have killed him. Humility is an asset. Heh - heh.

Attached Files

Brodie posted this 06 March 2016

Sadly or luckily we don't have feral pigs in Arizona at least not enough to talk about. I really miss hunting them and miss eating them even more. So lean you had to add oil to the pan or the sausage would stick and the roasts and chops tasted like a cross between lamb and veal. Brodie

B.E.Brickey

Attached Files

giorgio the slim one posted this 05 March 2016

Thia is a small ,born in the spring ,  a red  female  that i got with a lucky shot  at 100 feet .She was running  uphill and I broke  both knee joints with  my 45/70 Marlin shooting LBT s 405  bullet .  We followed the tracks with a Beagle and finished her with a head shot . When the  italian season  opens the piglets have lost the striped  fur , and they are great roasts .  

Brodie posted this 05 March 2016

Predfan, The horror stories of lead spreading throughout a game carcass come from some rather incorrect idiots who X-rayed ground game meat.  When a white (opaque ) spot showed up on the X-ray film they erroneously  call it LEAD CONTAMINATION.  Have you ever found a chunk of bone in a hamburger?  I have.  Bone is also opaque to X-Ray.  If you are really worried about lead in your meat shoot them through the lungs.  Don't use lino type for a hunting bullet alloy (it can shatter when striking bone) and use a butcher or processor who cleans his grinder regularly.  Also don't try to get the last scrap of meat from around the bullet wound. Lead is highly over rated as a toxic contaminant.  There used to be more lead in gasoline than on the range.  All heavy metals are toxic but they require a build up over time.  Don't eat old lead paint chips.

If all the claims of lead toxicity were true many of us would have died from carrying lead sinkers and split shot in our mouths a long time ago. Brodie

B.E.Brickey

Attached Files

Westhoff posted this 05 March 2016

Predfan; You mentioned you were “worried about getting lead in the pork"? When I was growing up, my cousin and I and his whole family ate a lot of quail, pheasant and cottontail rabbits that had lots of lead shot in them. When we'd find some, we'd spit it out, if we didn't notice it in time we'd swallow it.

Also, it seems to me this country was settled and the west was won by a whole bunch of people who killed all of their meat with lead bullets or shot. Maybe they all died an early death.....but I've managed to make 88 and I'm still kicking. (Maybe not quite as hard as I did i my 30's.) Maybe lead's not quite so bad after all?

Wes

Attached Files

Hamish posted this 04 March 2016

In the immortal words of Bugs Bunny,,,,,,,"What a maroon".

Attached Files

rodwha posted this 04 March 2016

This has nothing to do with whose deer it is. It's about a magic number that, by your account, can be ignored if it's a patched ball, but once you stretch it into a cylindrical shape it suddenly need no less than 3 times the energy to work well.  It's funny how modern handgun hunters of hogs state a hard cast wide meplat bullet is necessary in an ultra magnum platform, yet the .45 Colt can just as easily give a complete passthrough. A wide hole is a wide hole. Once it has passed through it becomes a waste.

You are the only one who has hurled insults. I've merely claimed the magic number is a myth made by modern groups selling the masses. About the only thing I could apologize for is not believing the myth. Oh, and a ball often doesn't deform beyond 50-75 yds.  I have an account there and several other gun forums but my name never changes. Out of curiosity I looked at Federal loadings and see a 438 grn 12 ga slug has 805 ft/lbs at 100 yds, and their .223 Rem 62 grn Fusion bullet has 1001 ft/lbs at the same distance. I'm guessing you'll claim the .22 cal bullet is more ethical? You obviously don't know much about Texas if you believe all the deer are small. The ones I typically hunt are no more than 125-150 lbs due to protein feeding on the neighboring ranch. But you'd be mistaken if you believe they all are. And that's not even considering the mule deer or exotics we have.

Attached Files

onondaga posted this 04 March 2016

http://www.castbulletassoc.org/view_user.php?id=6596>rodwha

Your Texas Deer are puny and easy to kill compared to my Western New York Deer. My grandsons puny 6 point Buck this season dressed at 189 pounds. My best puny 4 pointer a few years ago dressed at 204 pounds. I have harvested mature Deer much larger. Texans try to grow them bigger, they fail miserably at that too!

Insult hurling contests aren't very productive, but I can play that too. You don't put history into a relative perspective at all. Let me guess, is your screen name over on the castboolits forum “45nut"? You sound just like him....one of the 2 internet shooters I have challenged to a duel. They both chickened out. The other one is here and uses several screen names because he is a hit and run coward .

You can click “IGNORE” on people you don't like and never have to read them again. You are welcome to click me gone. I just did it to you until you meaningfully apologize. Bye By.

Gary

Attached Files

rodwha posted this 04 March 2016

History is not on your side my friend. Merely look at the .44-40, second only to the .30-30. But, but, but it only has less than 700 ft/lbs at the muzzle... Again, you can buy the magic number theory if you want to as it's a free country and all, but to say you are unethical if you don't meet a magic number is preposterous and untrue, and just as I mentioned in the other thread there is far too much history to say your magic number theory doesn't hold water for a second. As I also stated in the other thread you I'd like to see you over at a traditional muzzleloader forum with your theory and see what evidence they have. I was like you believing I needed a big bullet with lots of energy. But that's a modern myth.  You do realize politicians are usually not hunters and use other people's advice, right? Funny how the RB worked well then as it does now. But then they just don't sell well like the new wizbang stuff these days now does it? I find it funny that with modern cartridges that boast well over your magic number often run at least some distance with a well placed vital shot. Maybe it's not so magical after all...

Attached Files

Show More Posts
Close