bullet swaging

• 1.7K Views
  • Last Post 24 March 2016
waltherp88 posted this 24 March 2016

I have a 8mm LeBel with a large bore on it which the only bullet I could find commercially find that would fit is a .329 diameter.  Now that I am casting, I wanted to cast these myself from the same mold. I know they will work well in the LeBel but I have two other rifles a Russian Nagant and an Enfield with very large bores on them too which are .315. My question is can I take the .329 dia. bullet that works well on the LeBel and swage it down to .317 to .318?  Or is this a bad idea. Thank you for any information you can offer.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
gpidaho posted this 24 March 2016

Be much easier just to get a proper size mould from one of the mould makers. I know that NOE and CBE offer the size you need and I'm sure many others do also. I believe Accurate moulds will even cut one to your design. Gp

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 24 March 2016

yes ....but.....heh

i would swage up , not down .... if down, your grease grooves might go away .... even if up, you need to grease first so to protect the grooves from filling in .

then .... if you have a swage made ...it might cost about what a great custom mold would cost ...

if i would try this just for the challenge, i would get a lee?? mold in the middle ...??0.318---0.322?? and swage up a little and down a little .

but then i have a lathe to make the swages ... guessing about 8 hours for a couple simple swages ..

oh, usually we size to throat size ... check your throats.... maybe you could use a 338 ...and 318 ..... mold.   i think i have an old lee 338 mold .. pm me if interested .. real cheep .. .

keep us informed ...it is pretty common to not find a standard mold that is just what we want ...

ken

Attached Files

Close