recall on obdurating molds

• Last Post 08 April 2016
Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 03 April 2016

geepers... i see that as of april 1 2016 all molds being shipped will no longer be of the obdurating designs ... they will have to be of the obturating type ...

it is claimed that this is all to the good.....

guess we will be finding out as the new types are shipped .

ken

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
RicinYakima posted this 03 April 2016

April Fool's!

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 03 April 2016

Necessary clarification for the “low information” casters:

ob·du·rate ˈäbd(y)ərət/ adjective stubbornly refusing to change one's opinion or course of action.

synonyms: stubborn, obstinate, intransigent, inflexible, unyielding, unbending, pigheaded, bullheaded, mulish, stiff-necked; headstrong, unshakable, intractable, unpersuadable, immovable, inexorable, uncompromising, iron-willed, adamant, firm, determined

"the brass were also obdurate in their opposition to having women in any combat positions"

obturate verb (used with object), obturated, obturating.

1. Dental. to stop up; close. To mitigate bleeding from the jaw canal after a tooth extraction.

2. Ordnance. to close (a hole or cavity) so as to prevent a flow of gas through it, especially the escape of explosive gas from a gun tube during firing.  Used as an object, “obturator,” a gas sealing device placed between the booster or igniter pack and the main propelling charge in separate-loaded artillery. 

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

John Alexander posted this 08 April 2016

As long as we are straightening out terms.

I notice that the fattening of the rear of a bullet from being compressed by the force of the expanding gas pressing against the inertial resistence of the front part of the bullet either in the bore or shortly after leaving it is sometimes incorrectly called obturation.  The right term is “upset.” Upsetting may or may not cause obturation (sealing) depending on how much and where it is done.

On the other hand, obturation (sealing) may be the result of  things other than upset. Interference fit of the bullet in the throat leaving no gap for the gas will do it. The gas check sometimes may do it.  Hollow base bullets, like air rifle pellets, obturate by the gas pushing the thin sides outward. A wee piston ring on the bullet might work as a real one obturates the piston in an engine.  Some shooters (including me) think that “lube's” role on a cast bullet is to help obturate the bullet and has little to do with reducing sliding friction of the bullet in the bore.  My two cent's worth.

John

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 08 April 2016

I think I am a design that obdurates. :P

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 08 April 2016

obsessively obstinate obduration is an abomination ...

ken

Attached Files

358156hp posted this 08 April 2016

It is unwise to upset bullets.

Attached Files

Close